Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS card decline as ID at BOS Terminal B

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Several experiences lately

LAX - ID checker had no idea what NEXUS was - called supervisor, he said its the new US government program and to let me through
HNL - I wasnt expecting anyone to have a clue, and they didnt, finally let me through comparing it to my Canadian drivers license.
SFO - no clue - but supervisor was quick to accept it

BUF - these guys see NEXUS a lot - so no issues there, the only time I didnt have an issue in about 10 uses this summer.

I refuse to show my passport to the smurfs, I have an Iranian visa in it, and lots of other squiggly stamps - who knows what will go thru their heads if they happen to see it. Not like they can point out any of these places on a map or tell the difference between the UAE and "them bad countries"
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu

LAX - ID checker had no idea what NEXUS was - called supervisor, he said its the new US government program and to let me through
HNL - I wasnt expecting anyone to have a clue, and they didnt, finally let me through comparing it to my Canadian drivers license.

BUF - these guys see NEXUS a lot - so no issues there, the only time I didnt have an issue in about 10 uses this summer.

I refuse to show my passport to the smurfs, I have an Iranian visa in it, and lots of other squiggly stamps - who knows what will go thru their heads if they happen to see it. Not like they can point out any of these places on a map or tell the difference between the UAE and "them bad countries"
I am fairly certain the TDC at TPA had not seen one, but to his credit he accepted it after checking that it had all of the requirements for a proper ID and checking off the BP that necessary areas matched.

(There is a sure fire clue that you are in trouble. If they look at the back of it hoping to find something helpful, you are in for a ride.)

Also, I would not have given up my DL that easily, but that is just me. It is a valid ID. They will take it. Eventually.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

I am fairly certain the TDC at TPA had not seen one, but to his credit he accepted it after checking that it had all of the requirements for a proper ID and checking off the BP that necessary areas matched.

(There is a sure fire clue that you are in trouble. If they look at the back of it hoping to find something helpful, you are in for a ride.)

Also, I would not have given up my DL that easily, but that is just me. It is a valid ID. They will take it. Eventually.
Not true - they won't always accept these things. Recently at MCO no one from the TSA knew what the GE card was and refused to accept it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by troyb
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Not true - they won't always accept these things. Recently at MCO no one from the TSA knew what the GE card was and refused to accept it.
Did you request a manager? I have had to escalate to the manager or beyond on four occasions. When the suits get involved, it gets serious real quick.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

Did you request a manager? I have had to escalate to the manager or beyond on four occasions. When the suits get involved, it gets serious real quick.
Yes - didn't matter. To be fair, I only got the mid level guy pre-security (along with LEO) and then the most senior guys after I had already made it through.

The fact that they did not know what the ID was means it would not have mattered if they came out earlier. The only effect they may have had would have been ensuring the front line agents were a little better behaved.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, it's good passports get replaced on occasion. Otherwise they would go ape over my past travels: Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran. Never mind that that was before they were fundie-land.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:26 am

Yes - didn't matter. To be fair, I only got the mid level guy pre-security (along with LEO) and then the most senior guys after I had already made it through.

The fact that they did not know what the ID was means it would not have mattered if they came out earlier. The only effect they may have had would have been ensuring the front line agents were a little better behaved.
I have never had it to happen that way. I stand off to the side of the TDC podium and wait. When the person tells me it is not valid I say "Your own SOP says that it is." And, then I offer them a copy of the printout showing that it is. And then I wait some more or get a more senior person. Eventually, someone will actually look it up or call headquarters. I then get the magic squiggle and proceed. As I said up thread, it is almost always approved by the TDC. Most of the times that it is not, the immediate supervisor approves it.

Furthermore, there is nothing I have found that can force one to present multiple ID's, so I do not. I have presented a valid ID and a valid BP, exactly what is required. Their belief that it is not so changes nothing.

The problem created by the NEXUS is simple. Their guidelines specifically state the requirements of a valid ID. If the NEXUS had even one of them missing, it could be denied and I would have no recourse. Yet it has all eight, and its presence creates a conundrum. They do not think it is valid, yet they can not prove that it is not. You see, there is no book of invalid ID's, at least not one that has the NEXUS in it. They can not prove a negative. There is just a list of what the valid ID must have and the NEXUS has it. They can not deny it on truth or knowledge, they can only deny it on belief.

Furthermore, when they actually look it up they will always learn that they were wrong. Because they are. They just have to look it up. I occasionally tell them this. "If you will just go and look it up you will see. You can not possibly know everything that is in your SOP." Thinking one is right does not make one right.

I know that the NEXUS is valid, so I use it. I have spent many years and untold hours becoming proficient at what I do. Sometimes, I learn that something I thought to be true is really not. Good, as I am better off for knowing.

I expect no less from them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.