Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Expert: Security Checkpoints Near Soft Targets May Soon Become The Norm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expert: Security Checkpoints Near Soft Targets May Soon Become The Norm

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Oh come on. You are either extremely naive or intentionally trying to mislead people. For decades airports and the airlines provided their own security, did they not? The Federal government took over that security by law after 9/11. This was not the airlines begging for government help, the airports were taken over basically by force. This is also already happening at events like the Super Bowl and the NCAA tournaments. These are privately held events which should be handled by private security. Even if the NFL did asked DHS to get involved they should be under no obligation to waste tax payer money to do so. This is public money being used to support a private event.
Uh, I was talking about actual monies the airline industry has received from the Federal govt over DECADES. I wasn't talking about screening/security.

For example, in another thread, I stated I had worked at a Cat IV airport. It does not have enough business to stay in business. So the Federal government has given that airline and airport millions of dollars over the years - just for that one airport. This is just one of many many such airports. This finical aid has nothing to do with security.

But bailing out private transportation systems is nothing new. In the early 1970's Penn Central Railroad was bailed out. Congress also passed the Emergency Loan Guarantee Act in the early 1970's which was to bail out private companies, the first of which was Lockheed. And it goes on and on and on...

My point was that many private companies have not had to live in the "real world", as another poster said to my earlier comment. It is not exclusive to government agencies.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:19 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
he Federal government took over that security by law after 9/11. This was not the airlines begging for government help, the airports were taken over basically by force.
Actually, the airlines were complicit in handing off their responsibility for security to the federal government after 9/11. @:-)
Old May 11, 2011, 2:08 am

Yes but could the airlines have actually refused to go along with a federal mandate on security at the airports once TSA was created? I mean the federal government set the rules for the type of screening procedures that would have to be done to the passengers regardless of who the airports had doing the screening.

Because look at what just happened recently where John Pistole now has told airports that he won't accept any applications to allow them to go with a private screening company to take over passenger screening even though any airport that wanted to opt out of TSA was suppose to be able to.

Last edited by Lara21; May 11, 2011 at 2:36 am
Old May 11, 2011, 2:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The Super Bowl and airplane flights are items you paid for in advance (in general), so if you don't like tsa (and other feds) setting up security, you can just not go--but you lose your money and don't get to see/use the event/flight you paid for.
A mall or other similar venue is a different story, if you don't like tsa security there, you can shop at amazon.com (i.e.) and have the merchandise (probably at a lower price) delivered right to your home. In this latter scenario, the malls would be out of business in short order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.