FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Expert: Security Checkpoints Near Soft Targets May Soon Become The Norm (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1212106-expert-security-checkpoints-near-soft-targets-may-soon-become-norm.html)

jfunk138 May 4, 2011 8:06 am

Expert: Security Checkpoints Near Soft Targets May Soon Become The Norm

"A Day May Come When You'll Be Patted Down Going Into Stores"

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/...come-the-norm/

TSA coming to a mall near you...

bluenotesro May 4, 2011 9:04 am

This is not good. Welcome to the police state.

nachtnebel May 4, 2011 9:05 am

the cost of a dying empire. get the troops out of the middle east. none of this would be happening if we hadn't invaded them back in the early 90's.

wrt checkpoints at soft targets, how can that be paid for? or do they think people will put up with being groped everywhere? on the aircraft, people are scared to death of vaporizing at 35,000 feet. They don't have that particular fear elsewhere.

I'd like to see them try this. I really would.

saulblum May 4, 2011 9:09 am

There's a simple response to any store or hotel or theater or stadium or mall that wants to use invasive patdowns as a condition of entry: Don't patronize said establishment.

Search away, and I will take my money elsewhere. There's a huge difference between a privately run store subjecting shoppers to a search than there is the government (police or TSA) requiring searches as a condition of riding a public conveyance such as a subway or entering a public facility such as an airport.

coachrowsey May 4, 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jfunk138 (Post 16326273)
"A Day May Come When You'll Be Patted Down Going Into Stores"

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/...come-the-norm/

TSA coming to a mall near you...

Then I'll take my money else where.

FriendlySkies May 4, 2011 9:22 am

Added security is a turn-off for some New Yorkers.
Gee, I wonder why :rolleyes:

linsj May 4, 2011 9:22 am

That's the day I quit going to stores and do all my shopping online. Now if I could only quit flying ...

Thegweni May 4, 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 16326681)
Then I'll take my money else where.

Gee - you mean I should not tip the TSO who gropes me? :)

Global_Hi_Flyer May 4, 2011 10:38 am

And we have the obligatory...

“It’s better to be safe than to be sorry,” another person said.
Too bad the media gives more time to these folks than rational folks. Is it any wonder that Washington continues to pander?

SFOSpiff May 4, 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by linsj (Post 16326701)
That's the day I quit going to stores and do all my shopping online. Now if I could only quit flying ...

I'm sorry to say that's a naive plan. You really think that will work? If things get so bad that they want to be screening people on the streets, then they're going to "invent" a postal package threat and require you to pick up your packages at a "secure" postal facility which has, you guessed it, screening at the door. All for your protection, of course.

zuko3984 May 4, 2011 10:57 am

This "news story" is from a local late night tv news broadcast. You really have to take anything that comes out of the local late night news very lightly. The local news thrives on fear. They love to take whatever the fear of the day is and magnify it and use it to scare people which increases ratings. And really look at the article. They took a quote from some random security consultant about how maybe some day in the future there might be security check points at soft targets and they turn that into "Security Checkpoints Near Soft Targets May Soon Become The Norm"
Basically they took someone saying that something might happen some day and turn it into this is going to happen tomorrow. Gotta love the local news.

I also don't think it will happen for two reasons. Money and logistics. Who is going to pay for these checkpoints? To put checkpoints at every store and mall would require a massive amount of manpower and money. People may put up with the stupid stuff the TSA does because they don't deal with it every day. People are not going to put up with things that interrupt there everyday lives.

At some places it would be next to impossible to screen everyone. The NY subway system is one such place. It would be impossible to screen everyone who enters the subway system. If they ever tried it would cripple the Subway system.

oboshoe May 4, 2011 11:24 am

IMO, there is a bit of fear running through the security industry.

Not fear of being attacked, but fear of being unemployed.

Most of these stories that are being pushed from security industry experts are essentially saying "stay afraid" and "you need me"

Wally Bird May 4, 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by oboshoe (Post 16327458)
IMO, there is a bit of fear running through the security industry.

Not fear of being attacked, but fear of being unemployed.

Most of these stories that are being pushed from security industry experts are essentially saying "stay afraid" and "you need me"

The two 'experts' who contributed:
David Boehm, COO if SecurityUSA Inc. So no hidden agenda there then.
Juval Aviv, impostor. http://www.villagevoice.com/2007-10-...agent-schmuck/

Yawn. Nothing to see here folks.

KathrynInCanada May 4, 2011 11:37 am

This was the norm in Noida, the suburb of Delhi I stayed in Jan 2010.

Security (bag through xray, me through a metal detector and then wanded) to enter the shopping mall. Second security to enter the grocery store inside the shopping mall.

Security (same as above) to enter the subway system with increased security the day before their national holiday. At that point the men's security line was out the door, the women's was 2 - 3 people long. Was a very visual reminder of how few women were holding down jobs outside the home or their immediate neighbourhood (it was evening rush hour at the time.)

redii May 4, 2011 11:45 am

It's also like this in Egypt, post recent political situation. I was there a few years ago and went through metal detectors to go into even fine hotels.