All lines to the scanner at DTW today

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
All lines to the scanner at DTW today

Hi folks,
Here is my experience this afternoon at Detroit (North Terminal):

Approached the checkpoint for concourse D and noted that all passengers in both lines were being funneled into to MMW scanner despite the fact that there were metal detectors right next to the scanners. I did not see one single person montioned to the metal detector or allowed to self-direct themselves to the metal detector.

When it was my turn, the smurf blocking the metal detector just pointed to the scanner. I politely said "I decline the scanner". He paused and seemed somewhat surprised then motioned to a woman in a white shirt (white shirts now for some...is this the new thing?)

The woman in the white shirt was working as the barker. Conversation went as follows:

"Sir, if you don't go through you will get a full body pat down."

"That's fine."

"Wait here off to the side please."

"OK but I want all my belongings in my line of sight."

(No response from her but I was able to see my things on the belt beyond). The clown who did the pointing then called for male assist to which another male clown in the back looked up in disbelief and said "WHAT?!" Then he came and they spoke for just a brief moment and I was led through. My wait time was probably about 1-2 minutes.

Then that clown and another clerk in a white shirt asked me which items were mine. I pointed at each item and said "1, 2, 3, 4, 5". He picked everything up and asked me to follow him a few feet to some chairs. I was polite but business like and completely no-nonsense during the entire event.

I won't detail the entire conversation (the same ol crap) but basically the clown in the white shirt did the assault while the smurf in blue watched (probably getting his jollies by the whole thing). I immediately said "I would like to see new gloves from the box please" and he immediately complied. While he went through his speech before starting I stared him directly in the eyes. I did not waver my eye contact for one moment. He knew that I knew the entire charade and seemed like he was being very careful not to do anything wrong. To be honest, he was quiet and seemed somewhat intimidated by me.

The assault was very similar to my only other assault to date (in Oct 2010). The main difference this time was the groping of the waistband area. No other major details to note. Since I can be a ***** when I want to be I turned around after he returned from the swab with negative results and said "I hope you're proud of yourself" to which the smurf in blue replied "We are."

The sad thing is that I did not see ONE other person opt out. Not one. What a shame. People are so scared and that's exactly what they want. No sir - not I. I will not live in fear of my government. The day that happens I might as well move to Lib*a.

There you have it. Another honest American being raped by government agents for doing nothing other than exercising my RIGHT to travel as granted by the Constitution.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Hi folks,

Approached the checkpoint for concourse D and noted that all passengers in both lines were being funneled into to MMW scanner despite the fact that there were metal detectors right next to the scanners. I did not see one single person montioned to the metal detector or allowed to self-direct themselves to the metal detector.

When it was my turn, the smurf blocking the metal detector just pointed to the scanner. I politely said "I decline the scanner". He paused and seemed somewhat surprised then motioned to a woman in a white shirt (white shirts now for some...is this the new thing?)

The woman in the white shirt was working as the barker. Conversation went as follows:

"That's fine."

(No response from her but I was able to see my things on the belt beyond). The clown who did the pointing then called for male assist to which another male clown in the back looked up in disbelief and said "WHAT?!" Then he came and they spoke for just a brief moment and I was led through. My wait time was probably about 1-2 minutes.

Then that clown and another clerk in a white shirt asked me which items were mine. I pointed at each item and said "1, 2, 3, 4, 5". He picked everything up and asked me to follow him a few feet to some chairs. I was polite but business like and completely no-nonsense during the entire event.

I won't detail the entire conversation (the same ol crap) but basically the clown in the white shirt did the assault while the smurf in blue watched (probably getting his jollies by the whole thing). I immediately said "I would like to see new gloves from the box please" and he immediately complied. While he went through his speech before starting I stared him directly in the eyes. I did not waver my eye contact for one moment. He knew that I knew the entire charade and seemed like he was being very careful not to do anything wrong. To be honest, he was quiet and seemed somewhat intimidated by me.

The assault was very similar to my only other assault to date (in Oct 2010). The main difference this time was the groping of the waistband area. No other major details to note. Since I can be a ***** when I want to be I turned around after he returned from the swab with negative results and said "I hope you're proud of yourself" to which the smurf in blue replied "We are."

The sad thing is that I did not see ONE other person opt out. Not one. What a shame. People are so scared and that's exactly what they want. No sir - not I. I will not live in fear of my government. The day that happens I might as well move to Lib*a.

There you have it. Another honest American being raped by government agents for doing nothing other than exercising my RIGHT to travel as granted by the Constitution.
front of hands or back of hands? did he touch genitals?

just out of curiosity, have you ever had an ordinary LEO frisk (the kind of frisk TSA USED to do) and if so, do you consider that an assault? what makes this an assault in your opinion?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I turned around after he returned from the swab with negative results and said "I hope you're proud of yourself" to which the smurf in blue replied "We are."
They get paid the same per hour to find a terrorist or to annoy you. Since after screening over 6 billion passengers they have not seen one terrorist, your experience shows they amuse themselves and pass the day by annoying you.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
front of hands or back of hands? did he touch genitals?

just out of curiosity, have you ever had an ordinary LEO frisk (the kind of frisk TSA USED to do) and if so, do you consider that an assault? what makes this an assault in your opinion?
Very good questions.

He used the front of his hands on most of my body and the backs of his hands on my butt and groin. He did not grab any genitals but during the leg frisk of course the edges of his hands briefly came in contact with my scrotum through my pants.

I have never had a LEO frisk or if so, I don't remember it.

In my opinion, this constitutes an assault because it is a forced (if I want to get on my plane) touching of my body to which I would not otherwise consent unless under duress. In this case, the duress is that I need to fly since road travel from Detroit to Dallas is not feasible. Unless I am in an intimate relationship, this form of touching, by a government agent no less, is, in my opinion, assault. I do not buy the whole "you gave consent when you purchased a ticket" argument. That is BS and a cop out.

Last edited by TXagogo; Mar 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:53 pm

Very good questions.

He used the front of his hands on most of my body and the backs of his hands on my butt and groin. He did not grab any genitals but during the leg frisk of course the edges of his hands briefly came in contact with my scotum through my pants.

I have never had a LEO frisk or if so, I don't remember it.

In my opinion, this constitutes an assault because it is a forced (if I want to get on my plane) touching of my body to which I would not otherwise consent unless under duress. In this case, the duress is that I need to fly since road travel from Detroit to Dallas is not feasible. Unless I am in an intimate relationship, this form of touching, by a government agent no less, is, in my opinion, assault. I do not buy the whole "you gave consent when you purchased a ticket" argument. That is BS and a cop out.
That arguement ("you gave consent...") begs the question: How can I consent to something if I do not know exactly what it is that I am consenting to? Can anyone speak to the legality of the airline contracting with TSA to provide flight secuity and thereby forcing all pax of that airline into a contract with DHS/TSA, one to which the pax must consent to in order for the airline to fulfil their contract with the pax?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
That arguement ("you gave consent...") begs the question: How can I consent to something if I do not know exactly what it is that I am consenting to? Can anyone speak to the legality of the airline contracting with TSA to provide flight secuity and thereby forcing all pax of that airline into a contract with DHS/TSA, one to which the pax must consent to in order for the airline to fulfil their contract with the pax?
Exactly. That's why the "consent" argument is complete bull.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:06 pm

Exactly. That's why the "consent" argument is complete bull.
thanks for the details. It is helpful to get a picture of what these people are in fact doing.

and I agree. If they did not ask permission to touch your scrotum, doing so constitutes assault. "Resistance" is not "genitals". Dishonest at core. And they wonder why we distrust them.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Well I am not surprised as both the pax and TSOs at DTW are a little sub-par. Long before the late 2010 nonsense, I was waiting in line and opted out of a MMW. The TSOs acted like they didn't hear me and kept trying to convince me to walk through it, and all I said was "no." Meanwhile, a lady traveling alone with 2 small kids behind me was EXCITED to go through it and specifically asked to go into the new machine (instead of the WMTD), along with her children. She said something like, "I can't wait to try it!"

I generally try to keep a low profile so it was all I could do not to turn around and just stare at her, mouth agape, for being such a ding dong. But, as I said, this is pretty standard fare for this area.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:45 pm

(white shirts now for some...is this the new thing?)
Sounds like a new guy. It takes a few weeks (I think the longest has ever been two months, at HSV) for a new hire's uniforms to arrive. In the mean time, they wear a very neutral uniform. In Huntsville, it used to be a white button-up shirt and a pair of khaki slacks. Now, if I recall correctly, it's a white button-up shirt and a pair of navy blue slacks. It's been several years since we've had someone new hire in, though.

the clown in the white shirt did the assault while the smurf in blue watched
Oh, yeah. Definitely a new guy.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean

Oh, yeah. Definitely a new guy.
Hopefully he'll realize the error of his ways and find a new job that doesn't involve violating the rights of fellow Americans.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Hi folks,

"That's fine."

Bolding mine: Baaaaaaaah goes the sheep and let's do what they say as anything for skew'rity says the kettle but good on you for, imho, doing the right thing ^
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Baaaaaaaah goes the sheep and let's do what they say as anything for skew'rity says the kettle but good on you for, imho, doing the right thing ^
Thank you sir. It honestly took a great deal of restraint to not shout out to people "OPT OUT YOU IDIOTS!!!"
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thank you sir. It honestly took a great deal of restraint to not shout out to people "OPT OUT YOU IDIOTS!!!"
makes you just feel ill when you see it not happen, doesn't it.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
makes you just feel ill when you see it not happen, doesn't it.
The entire experience literally makes me physically ill. Unfortunately, I have to fly at least SOME in order to maintain an income. And I am angry as HELLE that I have to suffer like this on a regular basis because of inept, disgusting, and probably illegal gov't leadership.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
The sad thing is that I did not see ONE other person opt out.
Quite a few of my associates have told me they are consciously opting for the AIT, knowing they might get at least a partial pat-down later, because it's the lesser violation than a guaranteed grope, at least in their minds.

I can understand it. Don't really agree but it makes some sense.

Just because we see someone go thru the machine doesn't mean they support it or TSA in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.