Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeland Security Plans DNA Screening

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Angry Homeland Security Plans DNA Screening

On the Drudge Report today. The link goes to a story on itunes which on my computer has very small type nad I can't read it. Maybe someone else can.(I'm itunes illiterate, only switched from tapes to cd's a few years ago).

Drudde Report:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

link is second down from left.

link to itunes page

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/02...a-scanner-1-2/
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:33 pm

"Ctrl +" and "Ctrl -" will zoom in and out in your browser, as will Ctrl and your mouse wheel.

The linked story is a .jpg image with a story about a portable DNA scanner that is used with a mouth swab.

I suspect it will be used more by Customs than by TSA.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:38 pm
Suspended

I wonder when the first "honor killing" will occur once a family goes through such a scanner and the "father" is informed that his "son" or "daughter" isn't really his...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
On the Drudge Report today. The link goes to a story on itunes which on my computer has very small type nad I can't read it. Maybe someone else can.(I'm itunes illiterate, only switched from tapes to cd's a few years ago).

Drudde Report:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

link is second down from left.

link to itunes page

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/02...a-scanner-1-2/
doesn't it normally take a court order to compel a DNA sample?

we are going deeper into the darkness...

the infuriating thing is that DHS bypassed their own privacy committee on this matter. How much more private can you get than your own DNA for pete's sake.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I wonder when the first "honor killing" will occur once a family goes through such a scanner and the "father" is informed that his "son" or "daughter" isn't really his...
Paternity issues?
I'm waiting for the false positives indicating dogs, sheep or goats....
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
They want DNA? I'll gladly spit on them
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Paternity issues?
I'm waiting for the false positives indicating dogs, sheep or goats....
Sheep would be an indication that the tester accidentally used his own DNA.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on how to read the article. Prettty scary stuff. Especially that they bypassed their own privacy advisory committee.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
You think the lines are slow now?

In the article:
Costs less than $100
(As long as it makes me safe)
And takes about an HOUR!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
In the article:
Costs less than $100
(As long as it makes me safe)
And takes about an HOUR!
And, you may no longer qualify to travel as a family.... Are the going to hire counselors, in case they have to explain what they have discovered?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:49 pm

This is intended to be used on people immigrating with their children. Another branch of DHS, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, as well as the Department of State, generally make the decisions as to whether someone is eligible to enter the United States as an immigrant. Often this depends on family relationship to another person who is being admitted.

In states in Africa, for instance, birth and similar vital records are considered unreliable and it is common for the Department of State to require a DNA test to determine relationship. No constitutional barrier exists to this.

Within the United States, absent either a felony conviction, probable cause as shown to a judge, or paternity cases, I am aware of no court which has permitted the government to compel a citizen to submit to a DNA test.

TSA would really be out on thin ice if they attempted to do this as part of airport screening. Of course, five years ago I would have said the same about what they're doing right now.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril

Within the United States, absent either a felony conviction, probable cause as shown to a judge, or paternity cases, I am aware of no court which has permitted the government to compel a citizen to submit to a DNA test.
Yet......
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
TSA would really be out on thin ice if they attempted to do this as part of airport screening. Of course, five years ago I would have said the same about what they're doing right now.
Apparently, enough people freaked out that Bloghdad Bob thought it was worthy of an additional TSA blog post a little while ago.

It's too bad nobody at the TSA has seen fit to respond to any of the posted comments on the Savannah debacle calling him on his lie about not having to go into the station.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Apparently, enough people freaked out that Bloghdad Bob thought it was worthy of an additional TSA blog post a little while ago.

It's too bad nobody at the TSA has seen fit to respond to any of the posted comments on the Savannah debacle calling him on his lie about not having to go into the station.
Didn't we go that route with the AIT debacle?
Which means it will be a secondary screening method in a few months..... BB the sacrificial goat not withstanding....
Maybe that is what they are preparing us for by swabbing cups.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Didn't we go that route with the AIT debacle?
Yep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.