TSA debuts new full-body scanner software

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sefrischling
GU

I am not applauding anyone ... I am just wondering why the TSA is now implementing software that has been in use for about 18 months at AMS.

The TSA states "TSA worked with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Science & Technology Directorate (S&T) and private industry to develop the software, and began testing it at the TSA Systems Integration Facility in the fall of 2010. "

Having now spoken with someone who has hands on knowledge of the software I was left with one comment standing out about the 'new' TSA software "minor cosmetic modifications"

Others tell me the AMS software didn't meet TSA specs, so the TSA and L3 worked to develop a new software, but I tend to go with the input of a software person with hands on knowledge until given substantial proof otherwise.

I want to know how much the TSA/DHS spent to "develop" a software that already existed, working with an OEM who who already had the sofware and had deployed the software successfully in the field.
While that's a question whose true answer I would like to know too, I doubt that DHS/TSA is sufficiently capable and/or willing to account for all the wasted money in this regard too. There's no reason to doubt that DHS/TSA has -- in its typical unnecessary way -- wasted money on this effort too and will continue to waste money on software related to the various strip search machines in use.

With regard to the AMS implementation, do some screeners still use the communication earpieces when there's supposedly something they think they "need" to resolve on a machine strip searched passenger?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
PV post in 3...2...1...
Looks like Bob is a bit slow today? Maybe he got a snow day?

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Sorry, not good enough. I shall continue to opt out and shall encourage and applaud those who use any means necessary to rid us of these ridiculous, unsafe contraptions.

Oh, and
Exactly. No way in hell that I'll go through the scanners, even with ATR.
Puppy post is out at 1639. Fire when ready, but don't forget ti keep attacking the two personal attacks on Phil right below it.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:27 pm

I see he is still perpetuating the lies....

Anyway, ever since we first started talking about them, a small percentage of travelers have had privacy concerns with the AIT machines, and we have addressed those concerns in a variety of ways. TSA has implemented strict measures to protect passenger privacy, which is ensured through the anonymity of the image. A remotely located officer views the image and does not see the passenger, and the officer assisting the passenger cannot view the image. The image cannot be stored, transmitted or printed, and is deleted immediately once viewed

Additionally, there is a privacy algorithm applied to blur the image.
Seriously? If the image is blurred how is it useful? I know, it's a badly written sentence on his part and I assume he means certain parts of the image are blurred but it's misleading at best. We have all heard the stories of "blurry crotchal areas" lol
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
If the passenger is carrying any contraband items a red box will appear on the screen. Otherwise it will flash a green okay.
Memo to the TSA: Please define contraband.....
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
^ Nice catch!

Interesting how that's changed from "prohibited items" or "dangerous items", isn't it?

He neglected to note that contraband=any anomaly including forgetting a tissue in your pocket.

Last edited by Mimi111; Feb 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:55 pm

That blog post just proves Bob's knee jerk, gotcha mentality. Instead of starting with the "good news" and saying something to the effect of this shows that TSA is listening to passengers' concerns, he starts with a complete non sequitur:

I can remember the first time we blogged about Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT). It was referred to as Whole Body Imaging back then, and is now more commonly referred to by the flying public as a “Body Scanner” among a few other clever but inaccurate monikers.
Yeah, because "Advanced Imaging Technology" describes those machines ever so much more accurately than "Body Scanner." And TSA has never tried rebranding those machines.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:03 pm

That contraband would be drugs, finger nail clippers, chapstick, money or any other harmless item someone leaves on their person before going through the scanner... And I don't need to be a TSA Agent to know that.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Looks like Bob is a bit slow today? Maybe he got a snow day?
Yep, he stuck at home due to snowstorms in Eastern time. I am afraid the flight is canceled today. He won't be there at works today and tomorrow due to Blizzard snowstorms in northeastern states. He should be back to works in the few days until the weather will be cleared.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:15 pm

I actually think this is a huge step forward, and don't understand why TSA didn't wait a few months for their rollout - and I wonder what would've happened without all the public pressure and negative press.

This system removes most of my concerns with body scanners, though I still plan to keep out of the X-ray ones.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:36 pm

Even with ATR i will opt-out if i decide to fly again. Until there are laws (that i can read and know about) regulating the use and disposal of the images it's a no go for me.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
I will bet $4700 that I know of at least one.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
I will bet $4700 that I know of at least one.
^^
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
I figure that for the reasonable future, there will still be a goon in the booth confirming the findings of the software. They, of course, will not mention this.

There is no other reasonable method to confirm the number of false positives and false negatives inevitably made by the software. We know Pissy doesn't trust the software, and nobody trusts Pissy.

Remember that pleats in clothing, seam lines, etc, make it difficult for the MMW to work through, even with goons analyzing the images. Also, because MMW cannot see through metallic fabric, there will be an industry for metalized underwear, under which anything can be concealed. No anomaly would be reported by the software because the image is smooth and consistent in the fabric area. Software can only "see" edges and differences in reflected energy. Any anomaly would only be seen at the belt line and the leg line, and these would probably be discarded. I intend to make up some metalized underwear to test the theory. Nothing illegal here, just testing. I will report my findings.

Clearly, ATD is less effective at finding anomalies so I would guess the goon in the back room will stay for a long while.

Meanwhile, stay the heck out of the Rapiscam machines. X-Rays, crystal-clear images, commissions for Chertoff.

Go Jesse!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
The image is on a monitor that is attached to the AIT unit in public view. Because this eliminates privacy concerns, we no longer have to staff an officer in a separate room.
(bolding mine)

This is not the same as, "We will no longer staff an officer in a separate room."

As evidenced even as recently as BB's post about Phil below this one, the TSA is well-versed in lies of omission for the purpose of misleading sheeple.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jjgui
So why haven't people followed thru with complaints about this?!!!

"Despite the public uproar in November about the scanners, only about 132 people filed complaints with the TSA about the screening procedures that month, according to figures released by the Department of Transportation."
That particular stat is as worthless as they come. There was a tidal wave of objection. Or have we forgotten the news coverage already. None of those who quit flying filed complaints because they refused to be put in a position where they would suffer the groping in the first place. Who knows how many were too intimidated to file complaints, or who couldn't find out how to do it, etc. How many others were simply discouraged: after all, your sex organs just got attacked by the TSA and you are going to complain to those same people? That would strike many as a rather useless activity.

The ACLU got a lot more complaints, over a thousand in just a few weeks, because of the perception they could/would do something about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.