Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA debuts new full-body scanner software

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
TSA debuts new full-body scanner software

WaPo today: TSA debuts new full-body scanners
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dr-...l?hpid=topnews
Have fun with this one, guys.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:44 am

Are we allowed to see the pictures? In full resolution? Just like the screeners see it? Or will we get an "Oh, jeez, you're killing me guys" response. Also, the article doesn't specify if these are MMW or backscatter.

I am in LAS so I may get to see these in action in a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by jennj99738
Are we allowed to see the pictures? In full resolution? Just like the screeners see it? Or will we get an "Oh, jeez, you're killing me guys" response. Also, the article doesn't specify if these are MMW or backscatter.

Believe they are pushing that both you and the exit-guard can see the same stick figure, and there's no longer someone in another room looking at raw footage. That's supposed to be the "stop the privacy debate" thing.

AIT with ATR. Supposed to be the same hardware, with different (or unused?) monitor and software.

My concern is that they'll have to set the software to such a "safe" level (any uncertainty has to involve a pat-down) since if a single thing slips through, there'll be heck to pay. So expect a multitude in order of more pat-downs, just very, very localized. If you or your clothes don't fit the sample image, expect some special attention.

And this doesn't appear to add anything to the health debate.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jennj99738

PV post in 3...2...1...
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
MMW or Xray?

It appears to be Xray with the 2 walls and footprints behind the man standing
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bajajoes
It appears to be Xray with the 2 walls and footprints behind the man standing
I think the actual scanner is to the left in the picture and my guess is MMW.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Since the machine can obviously make the determination whether contraband is detected (red or green signal), why does it need to show any image at all on a negative/green decision?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Sorry, not good enough. I shall continue to opt out and shall encourage and applaud those who use any means necessary to rid us of these ridiculous, unsafe contraptions.

Oh, and
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Same scanners - new software.

Now one can take a look at that the situation as being a positive step. Obviously the new software addresses the privacy concerns. But if it is the case that the TSO can only see the processed image and the original image is indeed not stored then one can conclude:

1. That the number TSOs required will be cut half. As the system should be similar to the WTMD in being pass or no pass. However, like with the WTMD there will need to be someone to resolved the no pass.

2. The TSO looking at the screen has basically been replaced by an algorithm. Now while the algorithm is only as good as the team that designed it. I would like to think that those doing that work have a better educational background than some of the TSOs.

3. I doubt that there will be any adjustment in terms of sensitivity, either on or off.

4. It would appear that the image will be displayed next to scanner. So no more anonymous drone in some corner looking at grandma's naughty bits. The image should give some indication of where to specially look (some what like when a bag needs search, TSOs typically look in one specific area and not search the whole bag).

Of course none of the physical concerns are addressed.

The efficacy issues remain to be seen. (Remember, this was Pistole's major concern, too many false positives which would lead to pat downs).

My guess is that for the vast majority of the public, the new software will resolve enough complaints that it could mean that AITs become primary and the sole method of screening (i.e. no opt outs unless for medical reasons).

I will continue to opt out as it still nothing more than security theatre.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Feb 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
"Contraband" = prosthetics, insulin pumps, ostomies, etc.
"Contraband" = any deviation from the "normal" body
for that matter, "contraband" also = menstrual pads
anyone care to add to the list of "contraband"?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Opt Outs?

Wouldn't there always be pat downs due to people who are in wheelchairs or can't hold their arms up?
Or will these machines deal with those issues?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Baja, there will always be people who can not go through the machine just there are those who can not use the WTMD. They will get the full pat down.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:42 pm

How are we to trust that the TSA will not still be sending the full-resolution image to a viewer in some remote booth? Surely this will be the case as the system is first introduced and the auto-detect algorithm's efficacy tested against human screeners. Are we supposed to take the TSA's word on it that they will dismantle the hidden screening booths once the ATR system passes its qualifications and is fully implemented?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bungnoid
How are we to trust that the TSA will not still be sending the full-resolution image to a viewer in some remote booth? Surely this will be the case as the system is first introduced and the auto-detect algorithm's efficacy tested against human screeners. Are we supposed to take the TSA's word on it that they will dismantle the hidden screening booths once the ATR system passes its qualifications and is fully implemented?
You can't. It's that simple.

Additionally, this new "privacy" measure would now required that the raw image be saved in order to process the data and display the resulting avatar with green/red highlighted areas.

And has been previously noted, it doesn't address the health concerns that many people have.

In my view, they are simply trying to silence the masses and not address the root problems.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA 1M mile Gold, AS, BA, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
"Contraband" = prosthetics, insulin pumps, ostomies, etc.
"Contraband" = any deviation from the "normal" body
for that matter, "contraband" also = menstrual pads
anyone care to add to the list of "contraband"?
Bingo. So I'm still stuck opting out, getting yelled at for it, and then letting my possessions be at the mercy of my fellow travelers.

This isn't a solution. In fact, I expect that this "solution" will dull the resistance, making it even worse, and more of an example made of us, for having a non-conforming body. I do salute that it fixes things for those who don't want their genitalia ogled, but like with most stopgap solutions, it's not all that useful, as there's no assurance that the Big Ol' Maxipad of Doom isn't going to be considered "contraband." Choose your air travel dates using the rhythm method, ladies!

The system's still broken. It's still open season on those of us who opt out, all the yelling and all, and your computer is still a nice tasty theft target. As usual, there is no plan. What am I supposed to do, fly with no carry-on?

Last edited by Chellian; Feb 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm Reason: clarity, grammar, commas. stupid commas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.