FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Would You Fly On a Plane With NO Security? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1169796-would-you-fly-plane-no-security.html)

jiejie Jan 9, 2011 7:13 am

Add me to the passenger list.

Originally Posted by nd2010 (Post 15616516)
Greyhound buses have no security (even though they claim to have it). As far as I know, only one incident happened in the past decade, in which someone beheaded a fellow passenger. The bus drivers leave the engine running when they leave the bus, yet they've never been hijacked.

I believe that beheading thing happened up in nice peaceful CANADA. :eek:

InkUnderNails Jan 9, 2011 7:17 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras (Post 15617582)
I think a lot of the responses here are full of it. It's one thing to talk big, its quite another to actually act that way. ;)

And no, I would not fly on Liberty Air.

Actually, I find that comforting. Thanks.

magiciansampras Jan 9, 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15617645)
Actually, I find that comforting. Thanks.

Non-responsive personal attack. Noted.

BearX220 Jan 9, 2011 9:26 am

I think a lot of the responses here are full of it. It's one thing to talk big, its quite another to actually act that way. ;)

I believe you are correct, and I'm with you. We are reminded again this weekend that by global norms this is a fantastically violent country, and we are unique among developed nations in believing that more weaponry leads to a safer society.

greentips Jan 9, 2011 11:14 am

I, like FlyingHoustonian, fly regularly on GA aircraft. I would fly Liberty with no more a second thought than I would getting on a Chicago, Boston or NYC bus or train.

I no longer permit my aged parents to fly on scheduled commercial airlines because of the shoe shuffle/gategrope/electronic strip search. They simply would not tolerate this. They now fly charter or private aircraft exclusively. I would, without hesitation buy them a ticket on Liberty as my father would most certainly club with his cane any TSA agent who attempted to feel his genetalia.

With two people traveling together on a 500 mile trip, the cost can be competitive with the airlines, you can take your can of soda with you, and even your firearms, if you are so inclined. And you can travel on your schedule.

Fortunately, I have enough friends who are pilots to pull this off. Unfortunately, this is a resource many do not have, and because of it their elderly parents remain home, unable to tolerate the security portion of the air travel experience due to declining mental or physical abilities of advanced age.

nachtnebel Jan 9, 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15618286)
I believe you are correct, and I'm with you. We are reminded again this weekend that by global norms this is a fantastically violent country, and we are unique among developed nations in believing that more weaponry leads to a safer society.

And the only country on the face of the earth that believes checking the genitals, breasts, and anuses of every passenger is a valid way to secure air flights.

PatrickHenry1775 Jan 9, 2011 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15618286)

We are also unique in having a Constitution/Bill of Rights that explicitly recognizes freedom of speech, (allegedly) freedom from unreasonable searches, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and that the national government has only those rights that the Constitution grants to it. Lately, though, the national government is acting as though the Constitution does not matter.

fly2nrt Jan 9, 2011 11:49 am

I get on trains (almost) daily with no security check. Ditto for busses, the shopping mall, Chipotle, Target, stadiums, theaters, hospitals... etc. etc. and I haven't been died of a terrorist attack yet.

What makes an airplane special? :confused:

PatrickHenry1775 Jan 9, 2011 11:52 am

Originally Posted by fly2nrt (Post 15619189)
I get on trains (almost) daily with no security check. Ditto for busses, the shopping mall, Chipotle, Target, stadiums, theaters, hospitals... etc. etc. and I haven't been died of a terrorist attack yet.

9/11/2001. Think of the children. :rolleyes:

OldGoat Jan 9, 2011 12:19 pm

Wow. Your response came after mine, where I indicated I've "acted that way" for nearly all my life....

"I flew airlines when people were hijacking aircraft for money (1960's). I flew aircraft when people were hijacking them, killing passengers, and blowing the aircraft up. (1980's). I flew airlines when the incidence of passenger on passenger violence was higher than today."

Call me all talk if you want, but I've flown in much riskier situations. Ironically, the very actions taken in this environment to keep us "safe" vastly increase the risk to our freedoms. And at least I have flown in riskier situations before.

BearX220 Jan 9, 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775 (Post 15619156)
We are also unique in having a Constitution/Bill of Rights that explicitly recognizes freedom of speech, (allegedly) freedom from unreasonable searches, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and that the national government has only those rights that the Constitution grants to it. Lately, though, the national government is acting as though the Constitution does not matter.

We can argue forever about the practical definition of a well-regulated militia, but I'm with you most of the way. What's disturbing is how most people are willing to forfeit the Constitution in return for false promises of security. This is how nations decline.

InkUnderNails Jan 9, 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras (Post 15617674)
Non-responsive personal attack. Noted.

What was it in what I wrote that you consider an attack? It was not meant as one. I am sorry it was perceived as such. It was a statement that given our obvious different views of the subject under discussion that neither you nor I would be inconvenienced by having to share a flight with the other. I would be where I wanted to be and you would be where you wanted. It is an expression of a potential liberty that currently we both can not enjoy.

FlyingHoustonian Jan 9, 2011 1:53 pm

Well, as I said, I've done, and still do it weekly. Not to metion in other countries and states (Like Alaska, where there are no TSA flights I've taken) there are plenty of non-security airline flights.
Most recently I did another trip on various Maya Island, and Tropic air flights in Belize, even sitting in the co-pilots seat twice (as they sell those to paying pax) and amazingly we didn't die.

Being that there are literally 1000s of planes flying over your head everyday with multiple pax and no TSA protection, you might want to build a safe room...

Ciao,
FH

erictank Jan 9, 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15612121)
And I'm not going to sit next to a stranger packing a sidearm. My disgust with TSA (and the American people for tolerating it) is well-known, but I wouldn't touch Liberty Air. I want reasonable, respectful, COMPETENT security, which we don't have now -- not no security at all.

This is like asking which of two motor vehicles you'd prefer to own: one with a breathalyzer interlock, 50-mph speed governor, no distracting radio, and all cell / navigation features disabled... or one with no seatbelts, airbags, bumpers, brake lights, or anti-skid, and a glass gas tank mounted on the roof. The rational choice is somewhere in between.

Sorry, but I have to ask - paranoid much?

Okay, so apparently you don't like guns. Fine. Why is someone openly carrying - or even concealed-carrying - a firearm automatically someone to fear?

Me, if I saw someone carrying and doing nothing worth ACTUALLY worrying about, I might strike up a short conversation with him. If it looked like he was trying to CCW and I saw his weapon, I might say something along the lines of "Excuse me, but you're printing/exposing your pistol.", as appropriate. After that, or if he was carrying openly, I might ask what he was carrying and how he liked it. And then, most likely, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I'd fly Liberty Air in a heartbeat. Better no security at all than the illusion of it backed by nothing more than meaningless and intrusive security theater.

magiciansampras Jan 9, 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by fly2nrt (Post 15619189)

Pattern.