FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Would You Fly On a Plane With NO Security? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1169796-would-you-fly-plane-no-security.html)

InkUnderNails Jan 8, 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie M (Post 15615482)
If a person carrying a gun on a plane was disturbed or wanted to do harm, the other passengers are in more danger than if on a bus or at a sporting event, where they could both run away to safety and/or call 9-1-1. If a crazed gunman is on a plane at 30,000 feet your options for stopping him or her are more limited.

Exactly. It is not the possession of the weapon that creates the danger, it is the actions of the possessor. What is it about flying that will change my mental capacity to the point that I am no longer qualified to possess and control my firearm. Do you fear the presence of the firearm or do you fear the presence of someone carrying a firearm? Do you not trust my ability to safely and responsibly carry my weapon? If you had been granted the authority to possess and carry a weapon based a regulatory authority that had properly vetted your ability to carry, I would no more question your abilities and responsibilities as I would anyone else. So what is it that you know about me that makes me more dangerous? The fact that I fly on airplanes? And the question about the aircraft is a mute point as I have already said that I will not break the law as part of the serious responsibility to which I have agreed as a CCP holder.

n4zhg Jan 8, 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg (Post 15615458)
InkUnderNails: that if your gun goes off the bullet might make a hole in the outer skin of the airplane and depressurize the whole cabin?

wg

Oh, please. Watch Mythbusters.

Ellie M Jan 8, 2011 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15615666)
Exactly. It is not the possession of the weapon that creates the danger, it is the actions of the possessor. What is it about flying that will change my mental capacity to the point that I am no longer qualified to possess and control my firearm. Do you fear the presence of the firearm or do you fear the presence of someone carrying a firearm? Do you not trust my ability to safely and responsibly carry my weapon? If you had been granted the authority to possess and carry a weapon based a regulatory authority that had properly vetted your ability to carry, I would no more question your abilities and responsibilities as I would anyone else. So what is it that you know about me that makes me more dangerous? The fact that I fly on airplanes? And the question about the aircraft is a mute point as I have already said that I will not break the law as part of the serious responsibility to which I have agreed as a CCP holder.

If there's no security to get on the plane (which was the premise of this thread), then who is going to be checking that the possessor is "properly vetted to carry"? Or are you arguing that there should be security personnel at airports and they should be checking concealed carry licenses?

My point was not that I feared you personally carrying a gun, but that if someone who was dangerous took a gun on the plane, the options for controlling that person are more limited than if the same event took place on the ground. What if someone who is mentally ill takes a gun on a plane and starts shooting at 30,000 feet? The passengers' options for escape or controlling that person are more limited than if they were sitting on a bus.

PhlyingRPh Jan 8, 2011 9:15 pm

Liberty Air openly advertises that it takes zero safety precautions when it comes to screening passengers and baggage. Would you fly on this airline?
Why wouldn't I fly on this airline? I learned in Kindergarten that that no one is able to predict what someone else is likely to do, and frankly such fears do not enter into my calculations with regard to travel decisions.

Only those who are not at peace with themselves fear death. These are often the same people who worry about non-existent threats while ignoring or even cheering the root cause that drives some misguided individuals to engage in minor acts of aviation mischief.

I would gladly fly on an aircraft that was free of nervous nellies and busybodies watching every passenger they felt was a threat.

BearX220 Jan 8, 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15615666)
What is it about flying that will change my mental capacity to the point that I am no longer qualified to possess and control my firearm.

The problem is that you could go insane but forget to divest yourself of your weapon first.

Do you not trust my ability to safely and responsibly carry my weapon?
No. But were you to go insane inflight and take out your gun and start shooting people, I guess I would have to hope that someone else in the cabin took notice and shot you. Then a third armed person would probably think the second person was freaking out, and shoot him. Fortunately lots of other armed people would probably be aboard also, and shoot the third person, and each other. At this point the cockpit door might open, and the armed passengers not yet shot would likely shoot whomever came out, just to be on the safe side. It would definitely be safer this way.

StanSimmons Jan 8, 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15615780)
The problem is that you could go insane but forget to divest yourself of your weapon first.

No. But were you to go insane inflight and take out your gun and start shooting people, I guess I would have to hope that someone else in the cabin took notice and shot you. Then a third armed person would probably think the second person was freaking out, and shoot him. Fortunately lots of other armed people would probably be aboard also, and shoot the third person, and each other. At this point the cockpit door might open, and the armed passengers not yet shot would likely shoot whomever came out, just to be on the safe side. It would definitely be safer this way.

:rolleyes:

InkUnderNails Jan 8, 2011 9:31 pm

I could at any time go crazy and start shooting people? And you could go crazy at any time and drive your car onto a crowed sidewalk. Maybe you are too dangerous to allowed to drive, at least where there are crowed sidewalks. Or you could go crazy and put poison in your town's water supply. Maybe we should make sure that you can not buy poisons. Maybe we should watch you real close so that you do not go near the water supply. You never know when you might go insane.

Better yet. I will trust you to drive near crowded sidewalks, buy poisons for legitimate reasons and take leisurely strolls next to the town lake without worrying about whether you are going insane or not. You can trust that I will carry my weapon responsibly and within all legal restrictions.

PhlyingRPh Jan 8, 2011 9:33 pm

I've nearly been attacked by my fellow passengers just for removing my extended battery from my Dell laptop. I would imagine the odds of someone being able to lift their arm up while holding a gun is somewhat slim. I'll take the risk.

StanSimmons Jan 8, 2011 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh (Post 15615868)
I've nearly been attacked by my fellow passengers just for removing my extended battery from my Dell laptop. I would imagine the odds of someone being able to lift their arm up while holding a gun is somewhat slim. I'll take the risk.

That is the type of TSA caused terror that makes me not want to fly. :(

FlyingHoustonian Jan 8, 2011 11:37 pm

I do it every week as both a pilot and passenger in corporate, general aviation and government aircraft (various gov'ts).
I prefer it. Corporate is my favourite.

ciao,
FH

callie-girl Jan 8, 2011 11:39 pm

Yes, I would fly Liberty Air.
In fact, you might as well call my first flight by that name. I was able to speak to my parents "nobody better hijack this plane, I am going to granny's house and will kick them in the shins if they even try to keep me away!" without being stared at or having my folks questioned about my motives. Nobody looked at my little goody-bag of things to keep me occupied. Nobody made me walk through a weird machine. Nobody took away my stuff and put it through a different weird machine. Nobody yelled at me to take my shoes off. Nobody asked that I remove my sweater. None of that was done to my parents, either. Mom kept her knitting, Dad had a soda brought from home and a little bag of snacks for me. And the man who was sitting a few rows away with an OBVIOUS to me weapon under his jacket wasn't questioned. (Turned out he was a cop.)

I would certainly return to that.

nd2010 Jan 9, 2011 12:21 am

Greyhound buses have no security (even though they claim to have it). As far as I know, only one incident happened in the past decade, in which someone beheaded a fellow passenger. The bus drivers leave the engine running when they leave the bus, yet they've never been hijacked.

OldGoat Jan 9, 2011 6:24 am

Originally Posted by KCSherri (Post 15611741)
Would you fly Liberty Air, or would you still choose a TSA-compliant airline?

I flew airlines when people were hijacking aircraft for money (1960's). I flew aircraft when people were hijacking them, killing passengers, and blowing the aircraft up. (1980's). I flew airlines when the incidence of passenger on passenger violence was higher than today.

Ultimately, the question is one of risk and liberty. I have two thoughts: (1) The risk is small, smaller than the risk in the 1980's, and (2) I am not willing to surrender my liberty, no matter what the Powers That Be try to make me believe.

magiciansampras Jan 9, 2011 7:04 am

I think a lot of the responses here are full of it. It's one thing to talk big, its quite another to actually act that way. ;)

And no, I would not fly on Liberty Air.

mozgytog Jan 9, 2011 7:11 am

I would strap on my .45 and take a seat.

Do they have a FF program?