FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Would You Fly On a Plane With NO Security? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1169796-would-you-fly-plane-no-security.html)

bluenotesro Jan 8, 2011 11:42 am

Count me in ^

Talos Jan 8, 2011 12:08 pm

I would have no problem flying Liberty Air.

oboshoe Jan 8, 2011 12:19 pm

I would.

Well actually I would bring my own security.

StanSimmons Jan 8, 2011 12:59 pm

In a heartbeat.

nachtnebel Jan 8, 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15612242)
Then do not come to Kentucky (or any of several other states). You may indeed end up sitting next to me in any number of public venues and you will almost certainly be sitting next to someone with a concealed firearm. You will never know it except in the very rare instance in which you will find yourself pleased that you were.

And, yes, I would fly Liberty.

This is true for many other states as well (Tejas, Arizona..).

I would fly Liberty.

littlesheep Jan 8, 2011 1:16 pm

An internal flight in New Zealand? Of course I would. Bestest little country ever. :)

A flight just about anywhere else? No, I'd want screening of luggage and intelligent profiling to prevent those just-back-from-Al-Quaida-training-camp from flying. The key word here is intelligent.

axl Jan 8, 2011 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by KCSherri (Post 15611741)
Would you fly Liberty Air, or would you still choose a TSA-compliant airline?

First off, this is a pipe dream and we're wasting our time even dreaming about it. TSA 'compliance' isn't there only to protect the passengers & crew onboard a plane.

Second, as a pilot who has done many, many alert tours, scrambles, and patrols in the DC area, I can assure you that such an airline would never get near a populated area without multiple weapons targeted on it:eek:

Also, as an airline pilot I wouldn't give 1/2 an iota of consideration to operating such a flight.

It's a nice dream though.

khurley Jan 8, 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by axl (Post 15613107)
First off, this is a pipe dream and we're wasting our time even dreaming about it. TSA 'compliance' isn't there only to protect the passengers & crew onboard a plane.

Second, as a pilot who has done many, many alert tours, scrambles, and patrols in the DC area, I can assure you that such an airline would never get near a populated area without multiple weapons targeted on it:eek:

Also, as an airline pilot I wouldn't give 1/2 an iota of consideration to operating such a flight.

It's a nice dream though.

It's only a pipe dream in the U.S. It's complete reality in many countries.

IslandBased Jan 8, 2011 2:54 pm

I've flown out of GA several times in the last 9 years. Refreshing.

axl Jan 8, 2011 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by khurley (Post 15613380)

That's true. I should've qualified my statements:)

nachtnebel Jan 8, 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by khurley (Post 15613380)

Speaking of pipes, maybe in addition to Liberty Air, we could have Reefer Air, so the medical marijane folks like Montel Williams can take their medicine.

RATM Jan 8, 2011 3:09 pm

Sure, why not? I've gotten on completely unsecured buses, trains and subways before. I would like my pilots to be armed, but other than that I wouldn't really be worried about it.

billybob123 Jan 8, 2011 3:10 pm

Aren't interisland commuter flights in Hawaii 'security-free'? I flew Pacific Wings (granted 4 years ago) but no security at all. Was great.

I also flew security-free in Estonia between Tallinn and Hiiumaa.

WindOfFreedom Jan 8, 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15612242)
Then do not come to Kentucky (or any of several other states). You may indeed end up sitting next to me in any number of public venues and you will almost certainly be sitting next to someone with a concealed firearm. You will never know it except in the very rare instance in which you will find yourself pleased that you were.

And, yes, I would fly Liberty.

OK, I want the seat next to you.

Pluma Jan 8, 2011 4:27 pm

Count me in as a customer.
Every day I go about my business and I can say that fear is the last thing on my mind. I bank where there is no armed guard, I shop at stores that let anyone in, I dine at restaurants surrounded by unknown individuals.

If we let fear take control, then really how can one enjoy life.

As a note, isn't SeaPort Airlines doing just that? NO TSA stupidity.
http://www.seaportair.com/features/