FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Would You Fly On a Plane With NO Security? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1169796-would-you-fly-plane-no-security.html)

Affection Jan 8, 2011 4:38 pm

I travel in NYC subway cars with 100+ people on board and nothing to stop anyone from taking a duffel bag full of PETN on board. Why should I be afraid to fly on an airplane with no security?

I would be ok with reasonable security. I would also be ok with BYOS (bring-your-own security, brought to you by Sig Sauer). I'm not ok with "whatever makes me safer" security, and I'm not ok with security theater.

IOW, almost anything would be an improvement over the current system. :)

--Jon

Affection Jan 8, 2011 4:45 pm

Wow, looks great and their prices really aren't so bad (as low as $150 each way?). It's too bad I don't live in the northwest.

Originally Posted by Pluma (Post 15614155)
As a note, isn't SeaPort Airlines doing just that? NO TSA stupidity.
http://www.seaportair.com/features/

--Jon

TheGolfWidow Jan 8, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't object to reasonable procedures and I don't exactly live life on the edge. But, if forced to choose, I would rather go without security than have my nude image taken or have someone put their hands between my legs until they meet resistance. I'm sort of at the point where I think we are all flying without anything other than false security, anyway.

gumbleby Jan 8, 2011 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by IslandBased (Post 15613597)
I've flown out of GA several times in the last 9 years. Refreshing.

Actually what are the criteria for a flight to be General Aviation? Maximum number of passengers on the plane? Would it be possible to organize a security free flight club (members only) under the GA regime?

IrishDoesntFlyNow Jan 8, 2011 5:05 pm

If I had only a choice between what we have now and nothing at all, I would opt for nothing at all.

It's a false dichotomy, of course, but an interesting-to-follow thread.

~~ Irish

Lara21 Jan 8, 2011 5:07 pm

I'd fly on any plane where I didn't get treated like a convicted criminal for purchasing a plane ticket.

Now with saying that. I am not totally against security, but there needs to be some real survellance done that shows that a particular passenger is up to something, for that passenger to get the enhanced screenings. Because currently the passenger having bought a plane ticket is the only reason TSA/DHS is using for a passenger to submit to the enhanced prison type security screenings currently going on at the airport.

Current TSA/DHS Policy is to treat every single passenger as a terrorist for buying a plane ticket. I don't like that mentality of you the passenger are considered gulity until you prove to us you aren't.

I think the real reason for this is that they don't want to have to do any real survellance work to identify a real terrorist. They just treat every passenger like a terrorist and hope that in the procees they will get lucky and catch the terrorist. Then they, TSA/DHS, can say..."See what we were doing at the airport worked."

BearX220 Jan 8, 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15612242)
....do not come to Kentucky (or any of several other states... You may indeed end up sitting next to me in any number of public venues and you will almost certainly be sitting next to someone with a concealed firearm.

Not aboard an airline flight, I won't.

You will never know it except in the very rare instance in which you will find yourself pleased that you were.
At that shootout in Arizona today someone with a gun apparently returned fire. Five or six dead, 12 wounded. So I'm sure they were pleased.

StanSimmons Jan 8, 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15614643)

At that shootout in Arizona today someone with a gun apparently returned fire. Five or six dead, 12 wounded. So I'm sure they were pleased.

And yet there are no reliable reports that anyone but the nutball assassin actually shot anyone.

bajajoes Jan 8, 2011 6:17 pm

Liberty Air

What security conscious people need to realize is that REAL security is run immediately when buying a ticket or reserving a seat or listing as NR before a flight and rerun hours before departure which is why the psngr manifest must be ready before departure to ok.
You are in various data banks depending on which arm of Government is looking at you with EVERYTHING pertinent listed about you, EVERYTHING!
Profiling is done behind the scenes with computers and not advertised.
People without security clearances NEVER get to see these data banks about themselves.;)
Personally I would fly Liberty Air with joy as I would rather DIE on my feet than LIVE on my knees!

InkUnderNails Jan 8, 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 15614643)

What makes my gun more dangerous on a plane than on a bus or at a sporting event? And, yes, I will not have my gun in my possession on a commercial flight. I think it is silly, but it is the law.

As for Arizona, your use of pronouns with indefinite references makes your post hard to understand, so I am not sure what you are talking about. When all of the info comes out, we will see if a CCP holder was involved. Until then, I will reserve judgment.

AINITFUNNY Jan 8, 2011 8:13 pm

Yes I would, definitely. If it meant I could be treated with dignity and respect and no passenger's privacy and rights were violated without REAL probable cause.

wendyg Jan 8, 2011 8:15 pm

InkUnderNails: that if your gun goes off the bullet might make a hole in the outer skin of the airplane and depressurize the whole cabin?

wg

Ellie M Jan 8, 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15614845)
What makes my gun more dangerous on a plane than on a bus or at a sporting event? And, yes, I will not have my gun in my possession on a commercial flight. I think it is silly, but it is the law.

If a person carrying a gun on a plane was disturbed or wanted to do harm, the other passengers are in more danger than if on a bus or at a sporting event, where they could both run away to safety and/or call 9-1-1. If a crazed gunman is on a plane at 30,000 feet your options for stopping him or her are more limited.

InkUnderNails Jan 8, 2011 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg (Post 15615458)
InkUnderNails: that if your gun goes off the bullet might make a hole in the outer skin of the airplane and depressurize the whole cabin?

wg

Only if I fire the weapon. Why would I do that?

StanSimmons Jan 8, 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg (Post 15615458)

wg

No, it won't. It MIGHT, maybe, sever a control line (there are backups), but it wouldn't depressurize the plane.

Originally Posted by Ellie M (Post 15615482)
If a person carrying a gun on a plane was disturbed or wanted to do harm, the other passengers are in more danger than if on a bus or at a sporting event, where they could both run away to safety and/or call 9-1-1. If a crazed gunman is on a plane at 30,000 feet your options for stopping him or her are more limited.

Not if people who can legally carry on the ground can also legally carry in the air. You have a better chance of having one of the good guys packing than having one of the bad guys packing.