Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian border question: Can I bring some of girlfriend's stuff in my luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US/Canadian border question: Can I bring some of girlfriend's stuff in my luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Traveling from Canada, back to my home in the US. My Canadian girlfriend will be traveling with me to spend the holidays with me.

Is it okay for me to bring some of my girlfriend's things in my luggage? I have a lot of extra room in my suitcase and she's a girl and would love for me to take some of her stuff. Is it wrong for me to bring her laptop, some of her clothing, etc, in my suitcase?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
It's OK if you are traveling together and go to the immigration counter together when called.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:57 pm

Whenever traveling together; it's quite savvy to split your stuff between
(checked, or possible gate-check) bags.

If one bag doesn't show up at the destination; at least you'll have a bit of
your stuff.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
But be careful, some airports separate US passport holders from other nationals.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:15 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I've routinely flown alone, with my wife's clothing in transit with me, especially when changing from our Sicilian home to Texas home and back and forth. I usually make two or three trips, and usually my only bags are her clothing. I've never been stopped or questioned as GE now but even at ag x-ray and visual inspection no one has said a word. If one crossdresses it is not their business ^

Ciao,
FH
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:29 pm

As long as you're familiar with the items you're importing, no one should much care. So just ensure you know what she's packing in your bags.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

@yyz I might accuse you of sexism for assuming she does the packing but... guilty as charged.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
As long as you're familiar with the items you're importing, no one should much care. So just ensure you know what she's packing in your bags.
Definitely not the ground/check-in agent at the airline counter - there was a time post 9/11 that they routinely asked that questions, remember.

Can't recall when they stopped asking that question, both here in US and abroad & traveling oversea?

If they care to know, I would tell them, yes, both of our dirty laundry are combined together and packed in one of the suitcase & they are welcome to examine its content. Besides, DH is always stuffing her shoes, handbags in mine when she's out of room and it also keep hers lighter to roll around.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Can't recall when they stopped asking that question, both here in US and abroad & traveling oversea?
That question is still asked by US carriers on US bound flights from airports such as LHR, MUC, FRA as part of the pre-flight interview.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.