Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Flying w/a medic alert bracelet - will TSA make me take it off?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying w/a medic alert bracelet - will TSA make me take it off?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Question Flying w/a medic alert bracelet - will TSA make me take it off?!

I am flying to Hawaii in January to meet my father and sister for the task of scattering my mother's ashes (she recently passed away). Given the elimination of 4th amendment rights at US airports lately, if I could get out of having to fly, I would. However, this is something that I have to do for obvious reasons.

I wear a medic alert bracelet (well, it's actually a necklace) for medical reasons that I won't bore you with. Under no circumstances do I intend to ever take the thing off. Nor do I intend to be scanned by the irradiating nude-o-scope machines (the only 2 people in this world who get to see me naked are my husband and my doctor). So obviously I'll be doing the pat-down thing.

Has anybody had experience lately w/the TSA forcing you to take off your medic alert jewelry? The necklace that I wear is stainless steel so I will just assume that it'll set off metal detectors (but honestly, I don't know if it will or not).

Plus there's the whole issue of what will happen if I am wearing feminine sanitary products at the time (but I know that's been discussed a lot here lately).

Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
It'll set off the metal detector, and you're refusing the AIT, so anticipate decisions related to physical search.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:44 am

I have been wearing a Medic Alert bracelet for the last 30 years and have flown a lot in the last ten years. It never sets off the WTMD so I doubt you will have any problems at all.

Edited to add: Also, I have never been asked to take off the bracelet either. And, for that matter, I have never been asked to remove any of my jewelery.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Jetbee
I have been wearing a Medic Alert bracelet for the last 30 years and have flown a lot in the last ten years. It never sets off the WTMD so I doubt you will have any problems at all.

Edited to add: Also, I have never been asked to take off the bracelet either. And, for that matter, I have never been asked to remove any of my jewelery.
I have been asked to take off ALL my jewelry which included my Medic Alert bracelet.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:52 am

Most necklaces don't set the detector off. If anyone asks you to remove it, explain what it is and refuse politely.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Most necklaces don't set the detector off. If anyone asks you to remove it, explain what it is and refuse politely.
"Would you like to fly today?"

I wear a bracelet and I have been told to remove it.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:54 am

First, condolences to you and your family for the loss of your mother. From my experience, you may or may not be asked to remove your medic alert bracelet. I would state that the bracelet is a medical device and not to be removed. You are under no obligation or required to state the purpose of the bracelet.

The TSA and their "inconsistant" AKA poor training policies means some screeners will make up the rules on the spot. Even when going through the metal detector (WTMD), I have sometimes been forced to remove all objects, metallic and non-metallic, from my person. If you are not selected for a random patdown, you can probably get away with objects in your pocket.

Last edited by WChou; Nov 15, 2010 at 12:02 pm
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:55 am
Original Poster

So it sounds like the phrase "your mileage may vary" applies here as it does in all situations with the TSA. Depends on the person doing the screening. If they say that I cannot fly unless I take off the medic alert necklace, then I will not be flying that day. I'll be flying out of Phoenix, so we'll see what happens. And this isn't until January, so a lot can happen between now and then in terms of the TSA and the department of Homeland Insecurity.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:00 pm

Remember...you are dealing with unintelligent arrogant ego-maniacs with no set policies other than what they want to do at any particular moment....assume the worst - a full grope into your private parts if you refuse ANY command.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cactusmama, welcome to FT! Condolences on the loss of your mother and I do hope the trip in January is completely uneventful.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just as people do with shoes, tell them that it's medically necessary, and you will not be taking the band off.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I've flown with a Medic Alert bracelet for nearly 40 years and have never been asked to remove it. However, testimony from others indicates that rogue TSOs may force you to do so, and you may have no recourse.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

I am, albeit unhappily, willing to submit myself to a chest and groin grope by a same-sex TSA officer. But under no circumstances am I taking the medic alert necklace off. I've decided that it's my line in the sand. And even if it means entirely missing the scattering of my mother's ashes, then that's what I'll do.

Besides, if I don't stand up for my own constitutional rights, what message am I sending to my kids?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've worn a medic alert bracelet for more than 30 years. It's never alerted the metal detector, nor have I been asked to take it off. In fact, the clasp on it does not allow me to take it off myself; I have to have someone else do it and even then it's next to impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.