Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Unfortunately, Sarasota (SRQ) needs to be taken off the list of alternatives to Tampa. Relatives of mine observed two MMW machines at the checkpoint late at night upon arrival last Sunday. Not sure if they are in use or just installed.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by G702TT
Unfortunately, Sarasota (SRQ) needs to be taken off the list of alternatives to Tampa. Relatives of mine observed two MMW machines at the checkpoint late at night upon arrival last Sunday. Not sure if they are in use or just installed.
Thanks. Had to remove Sarasota, as well as Melbourne and Palm Springs based on the tsa.gov list, which I re-checked today. Sad to see our options continuing to dwindle.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:35 am

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
GCM has done the converse - map of airports have nudoscopes
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
GCM has done the converse - map of airports have nudoscopes
...and they even used the sticky by FriendlySkies to generate their map!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
hi, for airlines serving asheville, nc AVL you can add CO. they fly from asheville to houston and nyc, (among others?) so can be helpful for those wanting to avoid CLT.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karenkay
hi, for airlines serving asheville, nc AVL you can add CO. they fly from asheville to houston and nyc, (among others?) so can be helpful for those wanting to avoid CLT.
Thank you! Added. Happy New Year to all!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jordanmills
And according to the TSA, all airports and bus stations will get them. HOU doesn't have them now though.
Rumor has it all airports will "someday" get the AI machines but for a huge number it will be many many years down the road. GGG won't be getting one for at least another 10 years so if the thought of going through on worries you you can rest easy for at least the next 10 years.

I don;t understand the concern about these machines, but to each his/her own. I personally would rather go through one of these any day rather than recieve a pat down. I've actually seen the images the machine produceand they look nothing like the ones some internet sites produce. The people look more like casper the friendly ghost.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by G702TT
I flew out of SRQ on December 31st. MMW was installed but not in use.

RSW still had no signs of nudie body scanners on January 9th.

I fly from ISP on the 14th and will let you know.

Originally Posted by EastTexMan
Rumor has it all airports will "someday" get the
I don;t understand the concern about these machines, but to each his/her own. I personally would rather go through one of these any day rather than recieve a pat down. I've actually seen the images the machine produceand they look nothing like the ones some internet sites produce. The people look more like casper the friendly ghost.
Aside from the 4th Amendment implications, the machines just aren't proven safe.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...canners22.html

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
Originally Posted by deadserious
Aside from the 4th Amendment implications, the machines just aren't proven safe.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...canners22.html
I think you mean "proven unsafe".
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by jordanmills
I think you mean "proven unsafe".
Point taken.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: SWA RR A-list
Thumbs down NoS coming to COS in late 2011 or early 2012

It will take a while, because they have to spend millions of dollars re-constructing the checkpoint so they have room for the new machines.

The project is... "expected to be partially completed before Thanksgiving with the work entirely finished by early 2012"

Source: Colorado Springs Gazette

http://www.gazette.com/articles/proj...y-airport.html
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by deadserious
I flew out of SRQ on December 31st. MMW was installed but not in use.
According to one of the 3-stripers that I've come to somewhat know they are not real happy about having them. They may be trying to drag their feet a little bit before they start using them.

On the negative side, several of the screeners there yesterday were much more surly that I've ever encountered at SRQ
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
what about kenmore air ex-LKE for SEA area?

Last edited by bmvaughn; Feb 15, 2011 at 9:52 pm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns
What about Sanford International Airport (SFB) in Orlando? Does it have the scanners? I saw it was the airport that opted out of using TSA at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.