Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:33 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by gatelouse
Okay, that's it for tonight! Back tomorrow to update the first post, starting with #43.
Thanks for all your hard work, gatelouse. The list is really shaping up. ^
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Tuesday updates are in

Thanks for the latest feedback! If I missed anyone, please post or PM. Notice that, when someone makes a suggestion for a metro area, I tend to research and fill out all the entries for that area. Hopefully that's incentive for folks to keep contributing.

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
AUS is NoS-free, at least by the AA checkpoint.
According to the sources linked off the first post, I don't see evidence of NoS. So I've started a section on SAT and added AUS. Excellent alternative to SAT.

Originally Posted by G702TT
Regarding Tampa on the list, if Sarasota, FL (SRQ) hasn't installed the NOS , that could be an alternative to TPA being 45 minutes - 1 hour away. A much smaller airport with not much of a choice of airlines.

Regarding Las Vegas, St. George, Utah (SGU) is 2 hours away although they have very few flights other than regional jets to Salt Lake City for those willing to connect. Don't know if this small airport has the NOS either.
I don't believe either has a NoS based on current information, so I'll add them to the list. SRQ looks like a pretty good alt for TPA; thanks for the suggestion. And who'd have thought there was alternate service 2 hours from LAS? I had no idea. I now have a LAS section with SGU listed!

Originally Posted by UA842
Feel free to add Champaign, IL (CMI) to the list. You can get to ORD or DFW flying AA from here.
Thank you. I've done exactly that.

Finally, it pains me to remove SMF from the list. It appears, from the FT sticky, that there's at least one scope in place.

Last edited by gatelouse; Nov 16, 2010 at 8:37 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:23 am

PHX Alternative

Tucson International (TUS) is a decent alternative to Phoenix. It is about 1.5-2 hours East (South) on Highway 10, depending on traffic and the occasional dust storm. Flights are pretty limited, though.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freedomfighter
Tucson International (TUS) is a decent alternative to Phoenix. It is about 1.5-2 hours East (South) on Highway 10, depending on traffic and the occasional dust storm. Flights are pretty limited, though.
Thanks and Welcome to FlyerTalk, freedomfighter! I've added TUS to the PHX list. Compared to the other alternates on the list, the TUS flight schedule is actually quite robust.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:27 am

A possible alternative to CVG would be SDF, which is reportedly NoS free and intends to stay that way as long as the airport staff can manage; approximately 100 miles or so from CVG, straight down I-71 hence to I-264. (Of note, several folks already do use SDF as an alternative to CVG, especially as far as bargain flights or non-Delta carriers go--even with most flights being regional jets, it's still cheaper to fly out of SDF than CVG much of the time. )

A potential way to avoid NoS for CVG would be Amtrak, but service to Cincinnati is less than daily; a better alternative is to fly from SDF to Chicago, then take the L to Union Station and the Amtrak terminal there (or take Metra trains to one of the alternative airports in the area not using NoS).

Another possible alternative (which is technically closer) is LEX, but is even more regional-jet-heavy and avoidance of NoS (as with SDF) depends on mapping out flights to hubs that are NoS-resistant.

I am uncertain whether DAY uses NoS, so I'm hesitant to list them as a CVG alternative just yet; further confirmation would be appreciated from someone in that area. Drive time--approximately 45 minutes, 50 miles or so north of CVG. (This may also be an alternative for CMH if it's confirmed DAY is not using NoS; it's also approximately 50 miles/45 minutes from Columbus.)
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, Marriott Silver
SGF (Springfield, MO) doesn't have them yet and the TSOs don't have attitudes. May be too far for some folks but is an alternative for STL, TUL, and MCI. Mostly traffic free 3 hour drive on nice higways. Non-stops to ORD, MEM, DEN, ATL, DTW, DFW, MPS. On selected days (allegiant) TPA, MCO, PHX, LAX, LAS.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanksgiving updates

I've done some work on CVG, CMH, MCI, and STL today based on recent feedback. And I'm sad to de-list ONT, which appears to be getting scopes soon. (Airport directors, please fight back!)

Originally Posted by dogemperor
A possible alternative to CVG would be SDF, which is reportedly NoS free and intends to stay that way as long as the airport staff can manage; approximately 100 miles or so from CVG, straight down I-71 hence to I-264. (Of note, several folks already do use SDF as an alternative to CVG, especially as far as bargain flights or non-Delta carriers go--even with most flights being regional jets, it's still cheaper to fly out of SDF than CVG much of the time. )

A potential way to avoid NoS for CVG would be Amtrak, but service to Cincinnati is less than daily; a better alternative is to fly from SDF to Chicago, then take the L to Union Station and the Amtrak terminal there (or take Metra trains to one of the alternative airports in the area not using NoS).

Another possible alternative (which is technically closer) is LEX, but is even more regional-jet-heavy and avoidance of NoS (as with SDF) depends on mapping out flights to hubs that are NoS-resistant.

I am uncertain whether DAY uses NoS, so I'm hesitant to list them as a CVG alternative just yet; further confirmation would be appreciated from someone in that area. Drive time--approximately 45 minutes, 50 miles or so north of CVG. (This may also be an alternative for CMH if it's confirmed DAY is not using NoS; it's also approximately 50 miles/45 minutes from Columbus.)
Thank you for the suggestions; I've incorporated them into the CVG list. It looks like DAY is receiving scopes soon, so I've omitted the airport.

Originally Posted by r17gordini
SGF (Springfield, MO) doesn't have them yet and the TSOs don't have attitudes. May be too far for some folks but is an alternative for STL, TUL, and MCI. Mostly traffic free 3 hour drive on nice higways. Non-stops to ORD, MEM, DEN, ATL, DTW, DFW, MPS. On selected days (allegiant) TPA, MCO, PHX, LAX, LAS.
It's a long drive, but still worth adding to the list, as our options are dwindling as TSA forces more of these devices into mid-sized airports. Thank you.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:14 pm
Suspended

RNO is a good alternative to SMF. It's about 2 hours (but can be fairly treacherous in snow) and you can get virtually anywhere in the US from RNO.

I should add that I don't know if SMF has the NoS yet, but RNO does not.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
PSP still has the "regular" security as of 11/28/10

It's a bit far to be an alternative to LAX, but it didn't have either the nudo-scope or enhanced pat downs this morning.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
Any way we can sticky this too, under the with-NoS thread? Might help others who miss the link in that thread to here...

Merge/repost from the main NoS thread:

Originally Posted by tusphotog
ONT will be getting them "soon" it seems. Not sure why, since it's such a ghost town out there. There's also a little tidbit in there from the TSA Talking Head saying the scan or pat downs "should take no more than a minute."

BUR and SNA are the best alternatives to LAX, for a whole host of reasons. If you're out in the IE though (and want to admit it, that is ) neither is convenient.
But for now ONT is safe, at least maybe till new years

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:28 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: American Advantage, Gold Member
Hey Gatelouse

Will you be updating this list of airports without the body scanners, as TSA continues to implement them?

Thanks,

Kate
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: formerly SW, DL; currently Amtrak S+
JAN (Jackson, Mississippi) is getting them in the next few months, so that one won't be able to be used as an alternative.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by gatelouse
Finally, it pains me to remove SMF from the list. It appears, from the FT sticky, that there's at least one scope in place.
I've asked this question of friends who are local and none of them have seen it. My husband flew through there a few times recently and didn't see it either. And the SMF website says they don't have one.

Any idea where it is located...which terminal?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by essxjay
Yes, thanks a lot for this!!^^
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Greetings, fellow NoS detractors!

Originally Posted by COS_Flyer
It's a bit far to be an alternative to LAX, but [PSP] didn't have either the nudo-scope or enhanced pat downs this morning.
While it is far, I suspect some of the larger, closer alternatives will start to get scopes unless the airport authorities fight back. So I'll add PSP in anticipation of better alternatives' going away. I personally love that airport. TSA was friendly, and the open-air atrium reminds me of tropical airports.

Originally Posted by ghostrider10
...for now ONT is safe, at least maybe till new years
Indeed, but too close for comfort for me, so I've deleted ONT from the LA list. I really hope that BUR fights the scanners tooth-and-nail.

Originally Posted by Kate Hanni
Will you be updating this list of airports without the body scanners, as TSA continues to implement them?
That's the plan. I expect our alternatives to drop one by one. Please lobby your city councils and airport authorities to fight installation of the scopes. For instance, I know that COS has come out openly against them. I'll reward the city by sending all my DEN business to COS.

Originally Posted by slh14
JAN (Jackson, Mississippi) is getting them in the next few months, so that one won't be able to be used as an alternative.
Thanks, but I don't believe JAN is on my list. I'll try to remember not to add it, though!

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
The SMF website says they don't have one. Any idea where it is located...which terminal?
According to the FT master list, the B2 checkpoint. So, most checkpoints at SMF should be safe for at least another month or four. These things multiply like, well, lice. Be wary.

Originally Posted by snod08
Yes, thanks a lot for this!!^^
You're most welcome. And be sure to thank FriendlySkies for his master list; there's a ton of work that goes into keeping his list up to date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.