Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Another first-hand account of the new patdowns...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another first-hand account of the new patdowns...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by doober
Christopher Elliott, no fan of the TSA, believes that soon the scans will not be optional.
I predict one more "near miss" event in the next six months, which will be used to justify making the scans mandatory. By then, the increasingly intrusive groping will have convinced the majority of passengers to use the NoS instead, and TSA will say "most people prefer the scanners so we might as well make them the only option."

And before someone from TSA says "they'll never make them mandatory", be aware that I can dredge up posts from TSA apologists saying "the scanners will only ever be used for secondary screening."
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Waiting for Eyecue and SATTSO to tell us this person just imagined what happend.
"The person just imagined that it happened."

I hope all is better now. You need to remember that this article is subjective and anecdotal. Different people are going to report different things.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
Different people are going to report different things.
Because, of course, it's highly improbable that individual TSOs might perform this procedure in a manner inconsistent with official procedures, right?

And, yet again, the general public is forced to wonder whether or not the latest "enhanced" procedure is being performed properly, because there's no objective standard against which to judge a particular application of the procedure ...
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The person just imagined that it happened."

I hope all is better now. You need to remember that this article is subjective and anecdotal. Different people are going to report different things.
The person certainly seemed cognizant of what was happening and what was being done to her body.

Multiple reports of the same behaviors performed by multiple TSA employees at different locations.

And the people who were screened are all lying, is that your position eyecue?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I predict one more "near miss" event in the next six months, which will be used to justify making the scans mandatory. By then, the increasingly intrusive groping will have convinced the majority of passengers to use the NoS instead, and TSA will say "most people prefer the scanners so we might as well make them the only option."

And before someone from TSA says "they'll never make them mandatory", be aware that I can dredge up posts from TSA apologists saying "the scanners will only ever be used for secondary screening."
Of course they will be mandatory soon.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
You need to remember that this article is subjective and anecdotal. Different people are going to report different things.
For posterity:

The last two days at DEN have been very interesting in that respect. There has been a lot more LEO stand ups for patdowns. A lot more irate people. One person said that we need to be specific in our advisals and include the word balls. One today just said this is efing bs. So much so that he almost did not get to continue. It started at the AIT when his cold start met me head on and I asked if he wanted to opt out. I believe that it is only a matter of time before before this really escalates into something that no one wants.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The TSA wins and, once again, we will become compliant sheeple who just can't stay off airplanes.
I plan neither to comply nor refuse air travel. If it means I don't fly on 10+ seaters domestically anymore, so be it.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl

Care to back up your prediction with a wager? i want a good steak dinner at Mortons, or somewhere similar. If you win, and the AITs become mandatory, I'll buy you dinner
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Care to back up your prediction with a wager? i want a good steak dinner at Mortons, or somewhere similar. If you win, and the AITs become mandatory, I'll buy you dinner
That's a trick question. I've made it pretty clear that I don't travel to the USA because of the current TSA protocols. If When the nude-o-scope becomes mandatory, I still won't travel there. But you can come to Sydney (or meet me in Geneva) and buy me dinner there.

For the other side of the bargain, you'd have to set a deadline: if the NoS hasn't become mandatory by, say 2013, I'll buy you a great steak dinner. In Sydney. (Bonus: assuming our politicians haven't caved to US demands and implemented the NoS here, you can see what rational airport security looks like. )
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...ationwide.html
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:50 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Because if we don't grope your 5-year-old son's penis, the terrorists win!!!!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:57 am

If you go to the link and read the photo credit line, you will note that it dates back to Thanksgiving Weekend 2004. Six years ago! Sure looks like front of the hand to me.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BC2004
If you go to the link and read the photo credit line, you will note that it dates back to Thanksgiving Weekend 2004. Six years ago! Sure looks like front of the hand to me.
My first thought also - back in 2004 that was not acceptable.

I makes me nauseous to see children being patted down.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
The definition of mandatory is key here. I suspect the TSA will hide the mandatory in practice nature of these scans by offering ridiculous opt-out protocols. In fact, that has already started with enhanced pat downs, designed to convince people to accept the virtual strip searches.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:20 am

I'd put money on that, too.

And I'd be delighted if someone could explain this government-inspired dichotomy: We strip-search the innocent passengers and then we load "who-knows-what" into the cargo area of the passenger plane.

When are we going to start taking a look at the crap we haul in the cargo holds of these large aircraft?

Rose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.