Wiki Posts
Search

Getting frozen pizza through security at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT
Getting frozen pizza through security at ORD

I will be leaving Chicago O'Hare afte 2 wonderful weeks in Chicago for work. I would like to bring a pizza back home to my family to let them enjoy what I have been enjoying every night for the last week and a half. After searching here, the TSA website, and google, I can not find a definate answer.

Will I be able to get this through security? Does the sauce count as a liquid? I am seeing multiple answers from multiple people, and the TSA site says yes to cakes and pies, but does not mention pizza.

I plan on buying one that is already frozen, and checking it is not really an option, since I already have my 2 checked bags, and they are full, with no room to spare. Part of me says just buy it and if I have to get rid I of it I will, but having an answer ahead of time would help.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
How about putting the pizza in your checked luggage and xferring the lost volume to your carryon luggage where you wanted to put the pizza and avoiding any hassle.

Technically if the pizza is frozen solid, it is not a liquid. You can take solid ice in a cup through. But, the catch is it must be completely solid at time of inspection.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
When I was riding back from Chicago from Lollapalooza earlier this year I wound up sitting next to a couple on the airport bus (to parking) that did exactly this. I cannot imagine it being a problem.

However, the temptation to not eat the pizza and the smell in the cabin might present a problem =)

** Edit: To clarify the pizza was not frozen nor was it carried in a bag. Looks like they just toted it along.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As this is not really airline-specific, and there are airport security and TSA professionals in the Travel Safety/Security Forum, this thread will relocate there. /JDiver, Moderator
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Frozen, uncooked, or piping hot from the oven it should not be a problem to put it in the bin and have it go through.

Now if you had the dough, sauce and cheese in three separate containers, it would be a problem and they would throw out the sauce.

I know, go figure.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Some of the better pizza places will ship a frozen pie home for you.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: OnePass
I would reject that deep dish piece o'crap just on principle. :P

<--NY Pizza fan. Deep dish can take a hike.

(note, this stated with tongue firmly in cheek.)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT
I know they ship it home, but according to the sites, it will cost about $50 to ship it home, which seems like a bit much. My flight is only an hour and a half tops, so I'd rather just take it onboard with me.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:56 pm

Make sure to order 24 hrs in advance. They cook it half way and give you instructions to finish cooking/heating it.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The only question is this: how delicious will it look to the TSA screeners? And will they want to stick it in the nude-o-scope for 15 minutes to cook it to a delicious treat?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:07 pm

About three years ago while exiting the secure area at BWI I passed someone wearing a TSA uniform and carrying a stack of pizza boxes entering the sterile area. He passed a LEO, either Baltimore or Airport (if there) is such a thing, without a word.

I can only assume that boxes are exempt and as their contents weren't checked they would appear to be exempt as well.

Sicilian pizza may be another matter altogether.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I have brought a cooked pizza through security at ORD before (well, half of one), when I deliberately scheduled a long layover to go into the city for some delicious pizza. When I went though security w/ my box, the TSA guys joked that it would be subject to an "E-A-T" test. I imagine a frozen one would be OK as well, as I'm sure my cooked pizza had more "liquid" than your frozen one will.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Did it with no problems!

Last August (2009) I was flying home from Chicago. I stopped at a Giordano's close to ORD, picked up a pre-made frozen deep-dish pizza from their freezer and stuck it in my rollaboard.

Went through security with nary a problem. They never opened the bag, so I guess it didn't appear too terribly opaque on the xray.

Made it home and stuck it in the freezer, it was still pretty frozen after about 5 hours.

Coked and ate it a couple days later. Delicious!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Pizza Pies

Have never had a problem taking pizzas (fresh or frozen) through security or on an AA flight.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: TSA
Pizza in ANY form is OKAY. A couple of hints though
1. Stuffing it in your shorts wont work.
2. Telling them to turn up the x-ray to heat it up is bad.
3. Bringing enough for all the checkpoint is always good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.