Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: 7/4/10 Terminal Evacuation at JFK Due to Bomb Threat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking News: 7/4/10 Terminal Evacuation at JFK Due to Bomb Threat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Ari
However, I must muse about total evacuations; it seems to me that a circular clear zone of an established radius away from the suspected threat instead of a total terminal exacuation might be equally effective in some cases. I understand that there would be operational constraints since things move quickly in these situations and exacuation is a simple, one-size-fits-all solution, but I am reminded of the EWR terminal evacuation and can't help but think of what would have happened if a bomb went off in the middle of that croud . . .
My point exactly. There has been more than one evacuation where people were herded back close to the potential device instead of getting everyone well away. If the danger is in the lobby it makes no sense at all recalling everyone from the far reaches of the concourse.

The authorities don't seem to have worked this out, nor the rat maze of people leading to check-in and security which is also a prime target of opportunity. They have got away with it so far, so will continue to handle things the same way. Until...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by luvairfrance
what airlines use terminal 1? I've been there, but either it was air france or nwa.
su
am
ca
af
az
os
kx
ci
mu
jl
ke
lh
at
sv
tk
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Combination.

C'mon folks, this had nothing at all to do with Pistole or the TSA .
If a bomb threat is phoned in you don't ignore it completely. Yes, it's most likely a hoax but combined with an apparently abandoned bag evacuation seems prudent to me.

Unless as per incidents in the past, the evacuation caused everyone to move back toward the suspect bag, in which case .

An unattended bag is one of the few things I will report. Put it down to living in London 1979-82.
agreed 100% as you have to take each "threat" seriously

Originally Posted by Ari
Combination.

C'mon folks, this had nothing at all to do with Pistole or the TSA .
If a bomb threat is phoned in you don't ignore it completely. Yes, it's most likely a hoax but combined with an apparently abandoned bag evacuation seems prudent to me.
I have to agree.

However, I must muse about total evacuations; it seems to me that a circular clear zone of an established radius away from the suspected threat instead of a total terminal exacuation might be equally effective in some cases. I understand that there would be operational constraints since things move quickly in these situations and exacuation is a simple, one-size-fits-all solution, but I am reminded of the EWR terminal evacuation and can't help but think of what would have happened if a bomb went off in the middle of that croud . . .
and i agree again as it makes absolutely no sense to have hundreds of people milling around on the sidewalk right outside the terminal as if it is a real device and it goes off, the mass casualty goal has been accomplished. simple solution is as Ari notes is to have a safe radius and if need be, march the pax down the roadway to a safe distance away from the terminal
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
What airlines use Terminal 1? I've been there, but either it was Air France or NWA.
Yes, there is correct. AF is operated in terminal 1.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by Ari
I have to agree.

The circular clear zone idea is good except the problem I can think of would be how do you decide what size that zone needs to be if you don't know precisely what kind of item you are dealing with?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSO1973
The circular clear zone idea is good except the problem I can think of would be how do you decide what size that zone needs to be if you don't know precisely what kind of item you are dealing with?
that's for the body bean counters to decide using a formula for given amount of explosive(s) and the corresponding blast radius for said explosive(s) and then add a buffer zone of xxx number of feet. but with what i just said, basic disaster preparedness (and in this case, bomb threat preparedness) too much common sense for the tsa to contemplate...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 4:06 pm

While it is for VBIEDs it should give you an idea of the minimum distances. Depending on the location of the unattended bag, size and what is around it (glass) would depend on what the incident commander would evacuate.

Having persons moving from the gates back out to the lobby may not be the best idea but again this is the call for the officials on site. If there was an explosion would it be better to have persons trapped at the gates running onto the AOA?

The matter of what areas to evacuate and then the potential of causing a secondary "killing" zone is brought out every time an evacuation exercise is run. It is a hard call and there will always be Monday morning quarterbacks.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by WhyNotKnow
If there was an explosion would it be better to have persons trapped at the gates running onto the AOA?
Yes.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:12 pm

Yes.
Glad you read the whole posting instead of isolating on one sentence.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by WhyNotKnow
Glad you read the whole posting instead of isolating on one sentence.
What's the problem ? You posed a question, I gave my opinion.

If you disagree say why, don't just post a throwaway line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.