Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: 7/4/10 Terminal Evacuation at JFK Due to Bomb Threat

Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

...SCARE REPORTS SAY

Copied from Yahoo home page

No link or additional info available at this moment.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
News report: Terminal dump at JFK

I wonder what innocuous object the TSA is convinced will blow up this time?

--PP

QUEENS (WABC) -- Terminal 1 at JFK was evacuated due to an unknown possible threat Sunday evening.

Passengers and workers at the airport confirm that the terminal was evacuated.

Hazmat trucks are also on the scene.

Authorities say that there was a threat of some kind and they are investigating.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Terminal 1 according to the report. Short & to the point for now. Really no info as I type. I can only wonder
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Anyone want to take bets it will be nothing and the TSA authority quoted will say "an abundance of caution"?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus
JFK Airport terminal in NYC evacuated due to bomb scare that turns out to be false alarm

By The Associated Press (CP) 12 minutes ago

NEW YORK, N.Y. A terminal at New York City's JFK Airport has been evacuated due to a bomb scare that turned out to be a false alarm.

A Port Authority spokesman says 250 to 300 passengers were evacuated from Terminal 1 at the airport at about 6 p.m. (2200 GMT) Sunday.

The evacuation happened after an anonymous phone caller said there was a bomb at the airport, and at the same time someone else reported an unattended bag.

Port Authority spokesman John Kelly says police checked the bag and it was not a bomb. He says passengers will be allowed back into the terminal soon.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Guess What - False Alarm

JFK Airport terminal evacuated; false alarm
AP: Authorities report phone threat, but unattended bag wasn't dangerous
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38090153...iner_security/

More abundance of caution...
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Wimpie
JFK Airport terminal evacuated; false alarm
AP: Authorities report phone threat, but unattended bag wasn't dangerous
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38090153...iner_security/

More abundance of caution...
Whew!!! It is everything is normal for now. I don't see any suspicious behaviors at JFK today. I knows there is no potential threats from NYPA police does not have a find any evidence. I'm pretty sure they will have to find the passengers who leave behind with unattended bags.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Whoever fixed my thread title, thank you!

I had copied and pasted more, but I guess it was too long. It was bad that it stopped at "bomb" and I didnt catch it before posting. Sorry for the error.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Whoever fixed my thread title, thank you!

I had copied and pasted more, but I guess it was too long. It was bad that it stopped at "bomb" and I didnt catch it before posting. Sorry for the error.
No problems. You should be just fine on the thread. Mods will fixed the title for you.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1Hawk
at the same time someone else reported an unattended bag.

Port Authority spokesman John Kelly says police checked the bag and it was not a bomb. He says passengers will be allowed back into the terminal soon.
Guess somebody was taking Pistole's "see something, say something" to heart. Sad, isn't it?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Without knowing more it's got to be due to the phone call not the bag.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:37 pm

I'm beginning to think the term should be: "A bung dance of caution".
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Without knowing more it's got to be due to the phone call not the bag.
Combination.

C'mon folks, this had nothing at all to do with Pistole or the TSA .
If a bomb threat is phoned in you don't ignore it completely. Yes, it's most likely a hoax but combined with an apparently abandoned bag evacuation seems prudent to me.

Unless as per incidents in the past, the evacuation caused everyone to move back toward the suspect bag, in which case .

An unattended bag is one of the few things I will report. Put it down to living in London 1979-82.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If a bomb threat is phoned in you don't ignore it completely. Yes, it's most likely a hoax but combined with an apparently abandoned bag evacuation seems prudent to me.
I have to agree.

However, I must muse about total evacuations; it seems to me that a circular clear zone of an established radius away from the suspected threat instead of a total terminal exacuation might be equally effective in some cases. I understand that there would be operational constraints since things move quickly in these situations and exacuation is a simple, one-size-fits-all solution, but I am reminded of the EWR terminal evacuation and can't help but think of what would have happened if a bomb went off in the middle of that croud . . .
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:22 pm

What airlines use Terminal 1? I've been there, but either it was Air France or NWA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.