Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Nearly refused entry by UK Border Agency because my US passport was never signed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nearly refused entry by UK Border Agency because my US passport was never signed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by König
Ha-ha, getting back to this thread 5.5 years later :-) We were talking about the possibility of an optional federal ID card that FT omnicons were afraid would become mandatory down the road (a good-old slippery slope argument). Because these federal ID cards don't exist yet, it's a moot point.
Well, there was already give years ago and still is a voluntary one you can get -- a passport card good for land border crossings.

OTOH, other than being a more convenient way of demonstrating I could legally work in this country than carrying my passport book to my first day on a job, it's not a terribly useful ID.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Well, there was already give years ago and still is a voluntary one you can get -- a passport card good for land border crossings.

OTOH, other than being a more convenient way of demonstrating I could legally work in this country than carrying my passport book to my first day on a job, it's not a terribly useful ID.
other than border states near Canada and Mexico, most people have no idea
what a passport card is.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:49 pm

Well, theoretically it should be as good an ID as the driving licence, but in practice many businesses refuse to accept it as such. Everyone became so used to the idea of driving licence being a sole form of ID that if anything else is used as an identification, it throws many off track.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
Well, theoretically it should be as good an ID as the driving licence, but in practice many businesses refuse to accept it as such. Everyone became so used to the idea of driving licence being a sole form of ID that if anything else is used as an identification, it throws many off track.
...plus you can't drive with it.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
...plus you can't drive with it.
I drive with mine quite frequently - it hasn't affected my driving one bit.

On the other hand, the passport card does not at all indicate whether I have been granted permission to drive.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
I drive with mine quite frequently - it hasn't affected my driving one bit.

On the other hand, the passport card does not at all indicate whether I have been granted permission to drive.
Imprecise choice of language on my part; I meant the latter, or more specifically that it is not useful for indicating that if you need to prove that you've been granted permission to drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.