Wiki Posts
Search

Rocks on a Plane

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rocks on a Plane

One of my hobbies is rock-hounding and, while in Northern California this weekend, I picked up some specimens at a rock shop going out of business. I was curious what would TSA would do as, among my fellow rock hounds, the word is, "NOT ALLOWED -- THOSE COULD BE WEAPONS!"

I put them in my rollaboard, figuring I would check the bag if necessary. This was at OAK. Sure enough, the x-ray caught it and a TSO came over to inspect my bag. Interestingly, he only checked where the "anomaly" was, rather than tearing through everything. He asked if I had anything dangerous or fragile. I told him I had crystals, which were fragile. As he started to open the box and unwrap the specimens, I said, "I was hoping you'd unwrap them and look at them -- they're nice mineral specimens." He looked at them, said they were really nice and asked me what they were (calcite, marcasite and melakaria), told me his hobby was macrophotography, these would be great to photograph, let me re-wrap them and then sent me on my way.

In a world were bookmarks and miniature souvenir baseball bats are forbidden, I was truly surprised I was allowed to take them on board. Here's at least one occasion when common sense prevailed.

Last edited by PTravel; Jan 21, 2016 at 1:19 am
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
^ to that rare bird, an intelligent TSO willing to exercise common sense.

He could have easily pointed out that the rocks could be hurled at someone and forced you to check them.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:04 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
Crystals along with small rocks are permitted in checked or carryon baggage. This is per TSA website. Simply enter the name of the item you wish to take with you.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

These weren't small specimens and the crystal calcite wasn't a single crystal, but a druze (technical rock term) of sharp spiky crystals. The marcasite is Fe2SO4, i.e. an iron compound, is quite heavy, and larger than a pair of brass knuckles. The malikaria is fist-sized. In other words, if I wanted to damage with any of these, I could.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:13 pm

Those are some gorgeous rocks. Thanks for sharing. ^
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by PTravel
These weren't small specimens and the crystal calcite wasn't a single crystal, but a druze
Glad you didn't get profiled, then.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Kids carry rocks on planes rather often, more commonly without triggering a secondary search by the airport security screeners. Rocks can be used as weapons, but so can a bunch of coins also be used as a weapon.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
And don't forget that as an organization and by some individual employees, the TSA is not any smarter than many of those rocks and the employees are allowed at the checkpoint - sometimes even past it (you know, to chase down a water bottle).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:38 am

I once packed a volcanic bomb into checked luggage. It was also the same flight where the local security had a great time playing with my Leatherman.

Happy innocent days.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
For what it's worth, one or two 4-packs of Duracel D batteries and a sock make for a fantastic offensive weapon. None of which is restricted or really all that suspicious.

The day TSA can interdict everything that *could* be used as a weapon will be the day they send us on airplanes empty-handed and in our underwear.

However, since they continue to "operate with an abundance of caution" I expect that your success rates with large mineral samples will not be 100%. You fortunately happened upon a not-quite-useless clerk.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
I've carried Lake Superior agates as big as my fist in my carry on. No problems.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Shouldn't be a problem. My mom is always flying with rocks.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
The day TSA can interdict everything that *could* be used as a weapon will be the day they send us on airplanes empty-handed and in our underwear.
TSA will find a reason why your underwear could be used as a weapon.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by BJM
Crystals along with small rocks are permitted in checked or carryon baggage. This is per TSA website. Simply enter the name of the item you wish to take with you.
There is, essentially, no such thing as a "permitted" item, due to TSA's CYA language on their web page:

Planning ahead and packing properly can facilitate the screening process and ease your travel experience at the airport. Know what you can pack in your carry-on and checked baggage before arriving at the airport by reviewing the lists below. Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. Read about civil penalties for prohibited items.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.
Notice the bolding (which is mine). The TSA officer can deny you anything he decides to deny you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.