Search

Shoes vs. Bins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:11 pm

DFW Term A still has pictures telling you to put shoes in bin
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by cparekh
TSA should NEVER handle your items prior to their entering the x-ray. In order to prevent them from doing so, I maintain control of all my items until the belt moves them into the x-ray. On occasion, a TSO tries to be helpful and re-arrange my items. I usually interpret this as a genuine attempt to help me, but I try and politely point out that some of the items are fragile, and I would rather leave things as they are.

On one occasion I had a TSO get smarmy and forcibly move my things around. I loudly stated, "do not touch my possessions, please!" She replied, "fine, but you are going to pay for this, you stupid idiot" and proceeded to make me go through secondary screening. Fortunately, in this case, the Sup was standing right there, and made her apologize to me.

In general, once I assert I want my shoes in the bin, the TSO usually relents.
Not a real good idea. The officer in the load position can adjust for the best view on the x-ray and you could be subject to additional screening for objecting to it.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It is confusing at each airport ir seems to be different.
Then you go to Europe and in FRA they request that I do NOT take off my shoes even though I know they will set off the metal detector. They insist I walk through the xray, get pulled aside and wanded (surprise the shoes set off the wand) go over and take off the shoes, want my feet and put the shoes through the xray machine.

German efficiency at work.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MrMan
DFW Term A still has pictures telling you to put shoes in bin
As does STL.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by eyecue
Not a real good idea. The officer in the load position can adjust for the best view on the x-ray and you could be subject to additional screening for objecting to it.
More power tripping. And you wonder why people don't trust (and despise) the TSA?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by eyecue
The officer in the load position
'Moat Dragon' has more cachet don't you think ?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Domestically, within the last year, I've gone through security at jfk, lga, las, msy, sfo; none of these have ever balked at placing shoes in a bin--except for jfk, about 8 months ago they were being very insistent on putting shoes directly on the belt. At jfk a few weeks later, they were showing a tsa "movie" showing how to proceed through security and one segment showed that shoes were to placed IN the bins--from that point on they have not hassled pax about shoe placement.
Another tsa inconsistency, most airports now specifically tell you to put your bp's away after being checked (with id)--except lga, still requires that you show it as you go through the "detection" device.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by reamworks
If you're wearing expensive shoes, it is very annoying to have the TSA screener take them from the bin and throw them on the belt. (Sometimes not even with the soles facing down!)

I put my shoes in a bin because I don't want them to get scratched or banged up in the machine. LAS and MCO screeners, for some reason, hate the fact that some Americans like or need to wear expensive shoes and generally take them out and throw them on the belt.
I never looked at it from this perspective before. I can see how its annoying, but it sounds likea great technique for getting into fights with TSO's ^
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:21 am

Since this whole shoe thing started, I've made it a practice to remove my shoes before I get into the security line at all; I put them in my carryon and leave them there until I reach the gate. (I'm a barefooter from way back; a bit of dirt doesn't bother me as long as there is nothing I'm likely to cut my foot on.) This practice has been especially useful when I'm flying with my young kids; it eliminates just that much more stuff that I have to keep track of while moving through the checkpoint.

Last week at STL I was surprised by a TSO who demanded, "Where are the baby's shoes?" M: Packed in the rollaboard; I'm carrying her. TSO: Well, unpack them and put them on the belt. M: That's going to be difficult -- they are over there on your side. TSO: I'll let it pass -- THIS TIME. Now, where are YOUR shoes? M: In the same rollaboard. We don't wear shoes in airports. TSO: [Very puzzled expression and rolled eyes.]

Note that I had two add'l prs. of shoes of mine in that rollaboard; no one questioned those.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ORDFlyer33
German efficiency at work.
I have never had to remove my shoes in Germany. At LHR and EDI they often look down at my shoes (not certain why) but have never asked for them to be removed. I usually travel in GEOX brand ballet flats or loafers which do not set off the WTMD.

I do recall a few years ago before the shoe carnival that some American shoe stores had a machine to see if your shoes would set off the WTMD (Rockport brand store, perhaps? Does anyone remember that?)
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by 22wingit
Note that I had two add'l prs. of shoes of mine in that rollaboard; no one questioned those.
That's because the TSA believes in physics from an alternative universe where a shoe can only 'splode if it's on a foot.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by 22wingit
Last week at STL I was surprised by a TSO who demanded, "Where are the baby's shoes?" M: Packed in the rollaboard; I'm carrying her. TSO: Well, unpack them and put them on the belt. M: That's going to be difficult -- they are over there on your side. TSO: I'll let it pass -- THIS TIME. Now, where are YOUR shoes? M: In the same rollaboard. We don't wear shoes in airports. TSO: [Very puzzled expression and rolled eyes.]
That TSA employee was fortunate. I'd have lit him/her up both at the x-ray and in the complaint form.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The real policy is whatever the screener says it is.

Depends which side of the bed they got out of and whether there's an "r" in the month.

It's called designed inconsistency in TSAspeak. In normal speech, you may use the word 'clueless'.
Thanks for sharing. I have met this difficulty once
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
The best theory about the 'shoes on the belt' is that the TSA was reacting to the concerns of the OMGGERMSTHINKOFTHEKIDS contingent. That's the story I heard from TSA when this policy started.

They didn't think it through, and willingly said F--- Y-- to pax who have expensive shoes they want to keep nice, at the expense of parent hysterics.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reamworks
The best theory about the 'shoes on the belt' is that the TSA was reacting to the concerns of the OMGGERMSTHINKOFTHEKIDS contingent. That's the story I heard from TSA when this policy started.

They didn't think it through, and willingly said F--- Y-- to pax who have expensive shoes they want to keep nice, at the expense of parent hysterics.
You may be right seeing that TSA can certainly not be accused of thinking things through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.