Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shoes vs. Bins

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Additional evidence that TSA cannot teach its employees even the most basic of tasks.
Oh, they can teach, doesn't mean they can force it to be learned.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:07 pm

The REAL policy is:
TSO's need a clear view of the shoes. (reason: shoe bombs etc.)
Shoes have to be seperate from the rest of your property.
They can go directly on the x-ray belt (easier for the passenger)
or if you're going to use a bin/tray they have to be by themselves.
Nothing on top, below, around or inside your shoes.

Now;
If your laptop and shoes fit in a bin/tray side by side, not overlapping, thats ok too.

**contradicting statement (nothing around, but if they fit side by side its ok)
just saves time saying directly on the belt, also people dont want to hear a long explanation for anything while traveling
Old May 26, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by kanyewesttx
The REAL policy is:

Now;
If your laptop and shoes fit in a bin/tray side by side, not overlapping, thats ok too.

just saves time saying directly on the belt, also people dont want to hear a long explanation for anything while traveling
You forgot to say that this applies only to those shoes that were on the passenger's feet as s/he approached the checkpoint. It apparently doesn't apply to shoes that are inside the carry-on bag that the passenger is carrying (possibly stuffed with socks or other items), because nothing in the TSA "rules" (as we're allowed to see them) says that shoes must be removed from carry-on bags.

Why is "directly on the x-ray belt" "easier for the passenger"? What if the shoe strings tangle in the rollers, or the shoes get knocked around and damaged?
Old May 26, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
The REAL policy is:
How is it easier for the passenger? One of my colleagues at work has his shoe lace snapped and a gash put in the side of some nice Wing Tips when the lace snagged on something inside the machine and the TSO had to yank the shoe out thus snapping the lace.

If it had stayed in the bin, the shoe would have been fine.

Again, how is it easier for the passenger? I am not inconvenienced by having to slide a 1/2 pound bin on the rollers.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
The REAL policy is:
Consistently ignored.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:06 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
You forgot to say that this applies only to those shoes that were on the passenger's feet as s/he approached the checkpoint. It apparently doesn't apply to shoes that are inside the carry-on bag that the passenger is carrying (possibly stuffed with socks or other items), because nothing in the TSA "rules" (as we're allowed to see them) says that shoes must be removed from carry-on bags.

Why is "directly on the x-ray belt" "easier for the passenger"? What if the shoe strings tangle in the rollers, or the shoes get knocked around and damaged?
yup-but remember, you're applying common sense to something the tsa does .

as to shoes and/or shoe laces getting tangled inside the x-ray machine......you end up with yet another overpriced government asset which doesn't work. yeah, this one worked as advertised but then the tsa found a way to break it
Old May 27, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I don't understand the question. Is the OP implying that the TSA "policies" should be uniform? What ever happened by surprising the terrorist by confusing them about whether their shoes should be inside or outside of the bin? let confusion reign!
Old May 27, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I don't understand the question. Is the OP implying that the TSA "policies" should be uniform? What ever happened by surprising the terrorist by confusing them about whether their shoes should be inside or outside of the bin? let confusion reign!
TSA running on pseudo-random noise generated policies? Say it isn't true. Chaotic checkpoint behavior most likely is due to people not knowing what they are supposed to be doing. Yet another manager failure system wide inside of TSA.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The REAL policy is:
Nope. They can be inside your carryon, stuffed with socks or dirty underwear.

Nope. It's perfectly fine to have them in a bin with your jacket on top, even your Fourth Amendment zip-lock is usually OK.

Now;

Saves no time, especially if they get caught or don't push out promptly. A bin will usually come out faster than shoes on a belt.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Yabut a pair of shoes inside a rollaboard that's stuffed will garner nary a second look.

In-bins or on-the-belt is a really stupid discussion for screeners to have when shoes inside a suitcase breeze through.
Yep, that's why I take my shoes off and put them in my rollerboard, nestled next to the other 1 or 2 pairs (depending on trip duration). Always funny to see the screener try to work out where my shoes are. As pointed out above, this demonstrates the total stupidity of the whole shoe carnival....

- Tim
Old May 30, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
The REAL policy is:

Now;

GGG on Friday afternoon-laptop is in it's own bin (it's a 17-inch one; nothing else fits in the bin). Shoes & sandwich-sized Kippie w/a single 0.5 oz tube of hand cream in another bin. Smurfette, who was both moat dragon & loader, takes Kippie out of bin & puts it in it's own dog food dish.

I know these smurfs don't get alot of action-4 RJ flights/day, soon to be 2, doesn't leave much time to play w/all their toys, but if they truly can't 'see' what was in that bin w/o taking out the Kippie, then there is no way they had any idea what was in my roll-aboard. Oh, wait-that probably explains why everyone's rollaboard, or backpack, or computer bag, was 'selected for additional screening'
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM & CRC, Continental PM
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
In-bins or on-the-belt is a really stupid discussion for screeners to have when shoes inside a suitcase breeze through.
BINGO!!! That's the heart of this insanity.

They can scan my PC in a bin just fine, why not my shoes? The bins are made of plastic which will not affect the x-ray anyway. But the real kicker is exactly what you've said. I could have multiple pairs of shoes in my bag, at any odd angle I choose...and they scoot right on through. But God forbid you should cross the high school drop-out who tells you where your shoes should go.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:50 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I had a TSA screener in STL tell me that the policy is deliberately inconsistent so the terrorists never know what to expect.

I laughed at him.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I had a TSA screener in STL tell me that the policy is deliberately inconsistent so the terrorists never know what to expect.

I laughed at him.
Now that's not nice. That Kool-Aid is powerful, addictive stuff.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Now that's not nice. That Kool-Aid is powerful, addictive stuff.
and pretty sticky when you get on you as well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.