Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Metal rods in back - going through Security?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by mritty
Do parents routinely get asked "Excuse me, sir, can you prove you're this child's father?". *confused*
There have been a few nasty cases, including some involving airlines, of this. Usually they involve toddlers, not teenagers, and they're usually cross-racial adoptions. Kid throws a tantrum for whatever reason, and Ma/Pa Kettle decide that since the parents don't look like the kid, the kid must be abducted. Then either the airline, police, "security," whatever overreact "out of an abundance of caution."
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by SATTSO
It has nothing to do with that we don't believe them. More than a few passengers have had knives and such on them (even a few guns) and said they shouldn't be screened because it was just their metal hip or knee.
How many of them were teworrrrists bent on world domination and circumventing TSA skurrrity?

Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSO1973
Best advice I can tell you is to let the officer working the metal detector that she will most likely alarm the WTMD because of the rods. At that point if she alarms then she will go into secondary screening. As with other medical devices (metal knees, replacement hips, etc), there will be screening done with a hand held metal detector and a pat down done by a female officer.
valid advice but a question based on my experiences from my friend who has a a titanium rod in his leg....

since the pax is carrying proper documentation, why not go thru the wtmd and see if you alarm. if no alarm, continue on your way but you do alarm, then tell the tso who is the wtmd gatekeeper your situation and take the secondary with the hhmd. this is what my friend does. he would always get a secondary when telling the tso at the wtmd that he has a rod in his leg even tho he would not alarm but since i suggested he do it as i mentioned above, he is thru the wtmd and on his way in just a few minutes (and n.b. he as alarmed only twice since his surgery 3 years ago)

just my two hockey pucks but seems more efficient if you ask me
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by goalie
valid advice but a question based on my experiences from my friend who has a a titanium rod in his leg....

since the pax is carrying proper documentation, why not go thru the wtmd and see if you alarm. if no alarm, continue on your way but you do alarm, then tell the tso who is the wtmd gatekeeper your situation and take the secondary with the hhmd. this is what my friend does. he would always get a secondary when telling the tso at the wtmd that he has a rod in his leg even tho he would not alarm but since i suggested he do it as i mentioned above, he is thru the wtmd and on his way in just a few minutes (and n.b. he as alarmed only twice since his surgery 3 years ago)

just my two hockey pucks but seems more efficient if you ask me
+100 There is a lot of variability in the WTMD and don't make things worse than they need to be.

I've got a 50% hit rate with my metal hip implant. Removing my watch (which never used to alarm) and other jewelry seems to help. There is no metal in my shoes, but this week at CBR, I alarmed the WTMD while wearing the shoes. Told the guy that I had a metal hip, was sent back to remove shoes, came back through. (Note: the following is why I love Australia). The screener and I were both expecting another alarm, but when it didn't he just shrugged, smiled, and let me through. ^
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
More than a few passengers have had knives and such on them (even a few guns) and said they shouldn't be screened because it was just their metal hip or knee.
Knives and guns have been found hey?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Well, that would be REAL mission creep. Yet, too bad we can't do that since it potentially could be a federal crime, if it were some adult taking a minor across state lines for immoral purposes.

Just TOOOOOOOOOOO much crime in the world, you can run as fast as you can and remain where you are.
Erm, ok, remind exactly what medication you are on these days, clearly it's not working?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
This an old thread, but the only one that I could find that related to my search.

I'm having back surgery in a couple of weeks, which will include the install of a couple of titanium pins. My surgeon claims that its rare for the pins to be detected when going through security.

So with that in mind, can anyone comment on frequency of detection? I'm also part of PreCheck, I would hate to loose out on the benefits of this for future travel.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:48 pm

I have a metal plate and 7 screws in my right leg; I don't know what they're made of but they've never registered when going through security...although I have never gone through either BSX or MMW scanners, so I don't know what might have happened if I had.

Depending on how soon you're flying after surgery, I'd be more concerned about having your surgery scar(s) groped.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:58 pm

I have titanium pins and screws in my knee and I don't set off any alarms.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Thanks for the info. Surgeon wants to ground me for 3 months, but I'm going to see how things go. His concern isn't the flying itself, but the lifting of my bags. The past 4 weeks I have practiced traveling lighter than I typically would. At least on a temporary basis, I think I can get by without the laptop, using only the iPad for presentations, etc. I think I will actually make 3 days out of my Crew 9 rolling tote. So lighter weight bag, less stress on my back until it fully fuses, and an easier time through security given I'm taking much less. I might get used to this...

Thanks again for the info. Cheers.
Old May 21, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Thanks for the info. Surgeon wants to ground me for 3 months, but I'm going to see how things go. His concern isn't the flying itself, but the lifting of my bags. The past 4 weeks I have practiced traveling lighter than I typically would. At least on a temporary basis, I think I can get by without the laptop, using only the iPad for presentations, etc. I think I will actually make 3 days out of my Crew 9 rolling tote. So lighter weight bag, less stress on my back until it fully fuses, and an easier time through security given I'm taking much less. I might get used to this...

Thanks again for the info. Cheers.
Just a quick follow up; I had zero issues with the metal detector at the Denver TSA PreCheck location yesterday. The pins in my back must not be enough to set off the metal detector. I will be curious to see how things go with the full body scanner here in ABQ this Thursday though.

And yes, I'm traveling just 2.5 weeks since back surgery with no pain whatsoever. Needless to say I think my surgeon rocks!

Added info: no issue today with the full body scanner in ABQ. Nice to know I won't have to suffer added issues with the TSA with the rods in my back.

Last edited by COSPILOT; May 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm Reason: Added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.