Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re: USA->EU->EU (Schengen) transit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Questions re: USA->EU->EU (Schengen) transit

I haven't been across the pond in a while (and it's been twice as long since I've been on the continent), so I thought I'd put this out to the group.

My parents are taking a cruise of the Med later this year which departs from Venice. They'll be flying EWR-MUC-VCE-MUC-EWR on LH in J for all segments. I've been helping them with their arrangements, but they booked the tickets before talking to me and ended up with a 60 minute connection at MUC on their outbound leg. In my head, that's not enough time for a connection, but since I've never flown through MUC, and I haven't been in the EU since full implementation of the Schengen rules, I'm not entirely sure about customs/immigration procedures.

On the outbound, will they clear customs/immigration in MUC, or will they be able to go straight to their connecting flight & clear in VCE?

Also, on the return, since their ultimate destination is EWR, will they be groped/WBIed in VCE, or subjected to normal EU security (since they're transiting through the Schengen area)? And assuming they only get 'normal' Schengen security in VCE, should they expect WBI/grope at the gate in MUC?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:44 pm

As MUC is their first stop in Schengen they clear immigration there.

Their luggage should be checked all the way to VCE which is where customs checks will occur

Any American requested groping on their return will be at MUC but there will be groping at VCE
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:15 am
KCK

Originally Posted by alanR
As MUC is their first stop in Schengen they clear immigration there.

Their luggage should be checked all the way to VCE which is where customs checks will occur

Any American requested groping on their return will be at MUC but there will be groping at VCE
How does that work? Do they somehow keep the luggage from outside the Schengen area segregated until it gets to customs in VCE? What about passengers whose destination isn't an international airport (and hence, don't have customs)?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:52 am

Luggage is flagged as coming from out of Schengen.

As to what happens at airports that don't have Customs facilities - I haven't the foggiest
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:46 am

Most airports have customs here in the EU and in the EU customs works a bit differently..... Often checked luggage is scaned before even getting into the terminal. some of the bigger airports have mobile scanning units in form of trucks and they get parked between the trolley coming from the aircraft and the luggage conveyor. Basically the luggage is then passed through the truck and its scanner before heading up to the passenger. If they detect something suspious they will send the bag up along with someone trailing it to see who picks it up and once at the door they are told to head for inspection. That is how they catch lots of contraband...... The process is quick so that those smuggling are not tipped off and leave the bag so a regualr passenger wouldn't even notice the delay.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alanR
Luggage is flagged as coming from out of Schengen.

As to what happens at airports that don't have Customs facilities - I haven't the foggiest
Even those airports which have Customs screening facilities at various EU-Schengen airports don't necessarily always have them staffed.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:18 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
The intra-Schengen bags normally have green stripes on the sides of each bag tag. extra-Schengen are the normal all white.

Ciao,
FH
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
If I understand your underlying questions, there will be no problems due to this itinerary. MUC connection times are plenty, it can be done in 30 minutes. The bags will arrive at VCE, most likely there will be no visible customs inspection. Outbound processing will be simple in VCE, but they'll need to provide proof of eligibility to enter US because they'll get their BP in VCE. There will be secondary US-mandated groping at MUC.

Last edited by jbcarioca; Apr 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:38 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
If I understand your underlying questions, there will be no problems due to this itinerary. MUC connection times are plenty, it can be done in 30 minutes. The bags will arrive at VCE, most likely there will be no visible customs inspection. Outbound processing will be simple in VCE, but they'll need to provide proof of eligibility to enter US because they'll get their BP in VCE. There will be secondary US-mandated groping at MUC.
In the last month I've flown both MUC-EWR and FRA-IAH and received no secondary groping. Is it selective by flight now?

I transited MUC last week USA back to Italy and had to reclear security. I found this a bit of a pain, but it was quick overall. An easier airport than FRA!

Ciao,
FH
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: CO
Here is how I understand how Customs will work. I have not been in VCE but going from my experience in the EU so far there will either be 2 or 3 colored lanes in baggage claim. All persons ending there trip in in VCE will reclaim their luggage in the same luggage claim. In WAW all international and EU flights went to a central baggage claim. All persons that started their flight in MUC to VCE their luggage tag will have a green stripe going down the edge of their luggage tag. This green stripe says to customs officers that your flight started in the EU. Since your flight will start in the US the baggage tag will be all white which says that you did not start your trip in the EU.

When they land in VCE their will be a Green Lane (nothing to declare) and a Red Lane (goods to declare) and possibly a Blue Lane (EU arrivals only). You should not in anyway use the blue lane only the red or green.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.