Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wash your hands boys & girls!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by reamworks
......I now restrict myself to fully cooked or packaged food, and sanitize the cr*p of of my hands before eating.
I carry a bottle of purell in my laptop bag. I use it immediately after I go through the checkpoint.. No telling what is crawling on the TSOs gloves.. So far, my bottle, which is over 3.4 ounces and not in a freedom baggie, has not been detected...

Great job TSA!^
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:41 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I carry a bottle of purell in my laptop bag. I use it immediately after I go through the checkpoint.. No telling what is crawling on the TSOs gloves.. So far, my bottle, which is over 3.4 ounces and not in a freedom baggie, has not been detected...

Great job TSA!^
BTW: Here's something to try at home. Put a dab of Purell on a plate and light it! See how nicely it burns. And not only is it allowed through security, but you can easily procure gallons of it within the sterile area.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The local Fox TV station news did an story on this tonight. Predictably, they had a TSA propaganda-meister talking about it, and a couple of surrender-monkeys saying "it makes us safer so I'm all for it". They also interviewed a UA FA who stated the case against (we'll see how long before TSA pressures UA to fire her).
(emphasis mine)

That's a ray of hope if I've ever seen one. In the past, you could always count on flight crews to act like nervous nellies and say "anything for security," at least to the press. (If you knew them personally or talked to them in private, though, you'd often get a different story.)

I truly believe that if the airline unions or management were to rise up against TSA, we would see all of the abuses and silly rules come to a grinding halt. If TSA starts messing up boarding and operations (delaying passengers and flights for gate screening) or gets so intrusive as to drive down passenger traffic (perhaps the inevitable nudiscope incident of images posted online or a well publicized strip search incident), the airlines can bring a lot of pressure to bear. IMO it was the airlines that forced TSA to go to 3.4-1-1 instead of a total liquid ban, and the airlines have also been good at exempting their own employees from absurd requirements (shoe carnival, war on water).

Do you remember the key points of the FA's case against?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSO1973
Hey I'll use 5 boxes of swabs and change gloves after every swab if that's what the passenger really wants, doesn't make any difference to me. But I'm not the one with the plane to catch.
Implied threat of "DY...T".
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here it is...

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Could you post a link if possible? The station's website might have the broadcast cached online.
As usual, a fluff piece. The UA FA was interviewed on-camera. Her sound byte was along the lines of slippery slope. There was nothing at all about all of the false positives and the resulting harassment. (I'd expect nothing less from the minstream media.)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eastport
If I took five minutes instead of just one minute I could probably come up with better materials (e.g. aluminized mylar balloon as a non-permeable barrier), a better process and a time-efficient way of checking the bounds. An actual bad guy can spend much longer -- so what are we protecting against again?
.... protection of a sort against a public backlash directed at politicians and bureaucrats in the aftermath of an incident involving explosives.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Agree, it was puff piece. What I missed before was the statement that they'll also be doing this at the ID check station - think how much this is going to add to the delays.

(noted that you have imbedded the link in your post).
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Imagine that, a FA from UA countering the “anything to make us safer” sheeple.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:41 am

... had a lady checking my bag at LHR change here gloves before opening a case with my mouthpiece in it, without me asking her. Not sure if she was worried about me or herself (or both) but I was appreciative. She told me she used to get lots of eye infections before she started changing her gloves frequently. I never really thought about it before then.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by reamworks
BTW: Here's something to try at home. Put a dab of Purell on a plate and light it! See how nicely it burns. And not only is it allowed through security, but you can easily procure gallons of it within the sterile area.
Now the pyro in me wants to try that at home!

I posted on Bob's blog:

"There are at least a dozen important, valid questions so far on this thread and the only thing you respond to, Bob, is a ridiculous Twitter rumour about DNA that no one here has even mentioned.

Way to go after the low hanging fruit."

We'll see if it gets approved.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSO1973
If using a fresh swab on one hand gets a negative result, what purpose does it serve to use another fresh swab on your other hand? It won't be touching any other passenger between your hand and the ETD machine so that wipes out the cross contamination argument. Fresh gloves, no problem as long as you want to wait for me to put them on (ever try to put nitrile gloves on hands that are a little sweaty from wearing them all day?).
because any (n.b. any) combination of any (n.b. any) items can trigger a false positive. the same applies to shoes and what i may or may not have stepped in. see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...chine-lax.html

and based on advice from other tso's, i can if i so choose, request a fresh swab for both of my hands and additional fresh swabs for both of my shoes.

sorry to sound harsh but i am not a sheep and as long as i am within my rights, i will not simply bend over and take it
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by MrClean
... had a lady checking my bag at LHR change here gloves before opening a case with my mouthpiece in it, without me asking her. Not sure if she was worried about me or herself (or both) but I was appreciative. She told me she used to get lots of eye infections before she started changing her gloves frequently. I never really thought about it before then.

That was her own fault for the eye infections and the exact reasons why gloves should be changed for every person. Im very careful and have yet to get anything from any of my patients (including the nasty bugs like MRSA, VRE, MRDO, Acinetobacter)

At work once the gloves are on I wont even scratch an itch. Then depending on the scene I might be changing my gloves a few times on the same patient. Then if im dealing with multiple patients I change them between patients.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by FliesFromCanada

We'll see if it gets approved.
My bet is that he's waiting for some positive comments before he clears any of the comments made.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
My bet is that he's waiting for some positive comments before he clears any of the comments made.
+1
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:03 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
since i know about 80% of the time i will get palm swabbed due to my evil orthopedic shoes, i always "hit the head" before i go thru skewrity if nothing more than to thoroughly (n.b thoroughly) wash my hands
I get my palms, the back of my hands (sometimes), shoes, cane handle (sometimes), and brace swabbed every time through security. Guess I'll be part of the multiple swab club now with my fellow orthopedic shoe terrorist. And yes, I always ask for a fresh trap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.