FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Wash your hands boys & girls! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1053020-wash-your-hands-boys-girls.html)

degas1900 Feb 17, 2010 10:05 am

Wash your hands boys & girls!

TSA is now swabbing your hands for explosives.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/02/17...Top+Stories%29
:rolleyes:

doober Feb 17, 2010 10:13 am

From the article:

Swabbing also should not be used to test for non-security-related contraband, such as drugs, he said. "Under the Constitution, searches in airports are only for the purpose of protecting the security of airline transportation; they are not general law enforcement stops. And so it wouldn't be permissible for the government to use these trace portal detectors to look for drugs," Stanley said.
I wonder if Mr. Stanley knows that the TSA already looks for drugs even though they aren't really looking for said drugs.

goalie Feb 17, 2010 10:19 am

"please change your gloves, please use an individual & fresh swab for both my left and right hands, plese let me see you take the fresh swab from the container of unused swabs and i'll wait right here while you do, thanks" (and my apologies to the pax waiting in line behind me)

tev9999 Feb 17, 2010 10:20 am

Wait, I'm confused. Is TSA actually implementing a security activity that makes sense, has scientific backing, and does not invade privacy?

Now if they would just divert the waste of money on the body scanners to fixing the puffers and installing more ETD machines I would really be shocked.

Spiff Feb 17, 2010 10:22 am

Insist on a new paper trap (the disc) any time they ask you to submit to the swab.

Interesting supply information: (untrusted site) Responder Knowledge Base.

Not necessarily the same discs you'll see at the theftpoint, er checkpoint but you get the idea...

E-mode Paper Trap for use with GE Itemiser2

Blanket Purchase Agreement with TSA: MicroSilver, Inc. has been awarded a Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for the provision of Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) consumables. Specifically, the MicroSilver Smiths 400B Sample Swab and the GE Itemiser 2 Sample Trap. This BPA is valid through 8/26/2013.

Information Provided By: Microsilver Inc.
Manufacturer: Microsilver Inc.
Model Number: Paper-01
Part Number: not provided
Description
Explosives, Narcotics Trace Detection Consumable E-mode Paper Sample Trap for use with The GE Itemiser2. (200) Paper Traps per can.
Availability: In stock
Availability Notes: not provided
MSRP: $15.45
Product Dimensions: not provided
Weight: not provided
Information Provided By:
Microsilver Inc.
461 Watchung Ave.
Watchung 07069
UNITED STATES
908-279-7372

LessO2 Feb 17, 2010 10:26 am

If you do wash your hands in advance of this, make sure you do a thorough job in washing off the soap as well.

Soap has glycerin, and that sets off the machine (as does most hand lotions).

ESpen36 Feb 17, 2010 10:27 am

I'd rather have them swab my hands (15 seconds max) than attempt to swab every possible surface of my briefcase (45-90 seconds or more).

I'd also rather have a hand swab at the gate than a bag check.

If this procedure will reduce the frequency of poking around in my bags, I think it's a positive move. Just my $0.02.

MrClean Feb 17, 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 13407502)
I'd rather have them swab my hands (15 seconds max) than attempt to swab every possible surface of my briefcase (45-90 seconds or more).

I'd also rather have a hand swab at the gate than a bag check.

If this procedure will reduce the frequency of poking around in my bags, I think it's a positive move. Just my $0.02.

I'm with you on that one. Swabbing my hands is one thing, but poking around my bag .... ouch! :D

goalie Feb 17, 2010 10:39 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 13407489)
If you do wash your hands in advance of this, make sure you do a thorough job in washing off the soap as well.

Soap has glycerin, and that sets off the machine (as does most hand lotions).

since i know about 80% of the time i will get palm swabbed due to my evil orthopedic shoes, i always "hit the head" before i go thru skewrity if nothing more than to thoroughly (n.b thoroughly) wash my hands

RockyMtnScotsman Feb 17, 2010 10:58 am

make sure you wash your hands after swabbing as well because God only knows what chemical agents they're surreptitiously depositing on your skin for dermal absorption

NoClu Feb 17, 2010 11:04 am

If you have the time, purposefully lather your hands in lotion with a high concentration of glycerin. It’s the number two ingredient in the bottle of Suave sitting on my desk.

WWOOP WOOOPPP keep crying wolf TSA.

A thousand or more false positives a day ought to disrupt things well enough.
:(

phedre Feb 17, 2010 11:06 am

In other news, government agencies have moved to crack down on the latest threat to our nation's security: the latex glove.

This seemingly innocious product is used by terrorists worldwide while assembling their nefarious underwear bombs, thereby protecting their skin from the telltale chemical signs our valiant TSOs search for so diligently.

A representative from the TSA spoke on the issue:

"Latex gloves are a threat to our national security. By simply walking into any neighborhood shop, a terrorist can purchase this product, perform who knows what kind of nefarious acts, remove the gloves, toss them in the garbage, then board a plane with you and your loved ones without being caught by our crack staff. Is that the kind of America you want for your children?"

The Department of Homeland Security released a draft of new legislation requiring latex gloves to be dispensed by a licensed pharmacist, and requiring the purchaser to provide a government issued ID and sign a register to purchase latex gloves. To further aid in the war against terror, latex glove manufacturors are re-tooling their factories to package gloves in individual blister sealed packages, in quantities no greater than 12.

Scubatooth Feb 17, 2010 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 13407463)
Insist on a new paper trap (the disc) any time they ask you to submit to the swab.

Interesting supply information: (untrusted site) Responder Knowledge Base.

Not necessarily the same discs you'll see at the theftpoint, er checkpoint but you get the idea...

E-mode Paper Trap for use with GE Itemiser2

Blanket Purchase Agreement with TSA: MicroSilver, Inc. has been awarded a Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for the provision of Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) consumables. Specifically, the MicroSilver Smiths 400B Sample Swab and the GE Itemiser 2 Sample Trap. This BPA is valid through 8/26/2013.

Information Provided By: Microsilver Inc.
Manufacturer: Microsilver Inc.
Model Number: Paper-01
Part Number: not provided
Description
Explosives, Narcotics Trace Detection Consumable E-mode Paper Sample Trap for use with The GE Itemiser2. (200) Paper Traps per can.
Availability: In stock
Availability Notes: not provided
MSRP: $15.45
Product Dimensions: not provided
Weight: not provided
Information Provided By:
Microsilver Inc.
461 Watchung Ave.
Watchung 07069
UNITED STATES
908-279-7372

Narcotics detection.... hmm thats not in TSAs charter.

Your honor motion to dismiss on the grounds of 4th amendment violation. TSAs charter isnt to look for drugs.

eastport Feb 17, 2010 11:08 am

Hmmm, the list price $15.45 for 200.

I hope that the government is getting a much better price than that.

BWI, the nearest airport, handles over 20 million passengers a year and it's not even in the top 20 busiest U.S. airports. If we estimate 8M pass through security, that's over $600K per year (list price) for paper disks at a single medium sized airport.

The real point is that even seeming trivial things aren't small over the whole system. The reaction of "We already spend so much, that amount just doesn't matter" is more of a condemnation of the system rather than positive response.

And all to catch some theorized terrorist that wouldn't be smart enough to have someone else prepare and seal the explosive. Actually, the terrorist would be smart enough to have a few uninformed minions carry multiple small sealed, cleaned packages through security, to hand off to another uninformed disposable minion.

Spiff Feb 17, 2010 11:20 am

Originally Posted by eastport (Post 13407770)
Hmmm, the list price $15.45 for 200.

I hope that the government is getting a much better price than that.

BWI, the nearest airport, handles over 20 million passengers a year and it's not even in the top 20 busiest U.S. airports. If we estimate 8M pass through security, that's over $600K per year (list price) for paper disks at a single medium sized airport.

The real point is that even seeming trivial things aren't small over the whole system. The reaction of "We already spend so much, that amount just doesn't matter" is more of a condemnation of the system rather than positive response.

A new disc isn't used each time unless the passenger requests it.