Search

US 3079 LGA-SDF diverts, security concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
Or an indicator, as some training states.
What the training doesn't state is that the practice is primarily an indicator about the trainer and/or trained believer rather than a behavioral indicator of the the trainer and/or trained believers' targeted individuals.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I think the TSA needs tefillin another section of their rule book...

Anyway, I'm an atheist, and this story is making me want to be religious again just to teach people...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Scott2ism
I highly doubt any of this was due to any veiws the FA had on the Jewish religion. The kid should have know better then to strap little boxes to himself. It's odd and will be seen as suspicious. You can not expect people to know all the customs and addormants of different religions. I hope the kid realized trouble he caused. He should have done his praying before or after the flight.
First, welcome to FlyerTalk.

Next, there was nothing wrong with what the kid did. It isn't odd with respect to his religious views. This flight was departing from New York City of all places.

I don't know a lot about Muslim customs, but next time I travel to the US from SE Asia on MH, should I alert the crew when a passenger sits in what seems to be a strange direction (say sideways at an angle opposed to forward) on a mat and starts praying or does something that appears strange in his prayer?

I'll have to disagree with you, the kid did not cause trouble. The state of "paranoia gone wild" (tm) in this nation is what caused the problem.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Nothing to indicate the above is anything but a superstition, but everyone is free to believe the myths they wish to believe.
Isn't believing in myths what started this whole mess?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What the training doesn't state is that the practice is primarily an indicator about the trainer and/or trained believer rather than a behavioral indicator of the the trainer and/or trained believers' targeted individuals.
I think it's more of a historical thing; those guys did it, so the next ones probably will.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Isn't believing in myths what started this whole mess?
People are naturally political creatures, whether they know/acknowledge it or not. Organizing based on myths that involve a creation of "us" and "them" and of playing off "the other" is just part of the political nature of mankind. Nothing mythical about that. Atheism and elimination of beliefs in historical superstition wouldn't change the political nature of mankind. People have a great ability to create useful myths so as to perpetuate political organization. People would just rely upon some other myth for the same purpose.

The mess that is the TSA was indeed started by belief in myths.

This incident on the LGA-SDF flight was indeed started by a belief in a myth -- the myth being one that is rooted in the "us" vs "them" mentality, which include a belief that "the other" is a greater threat than "our" actions are to "us".

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
The state of "paranoia gone wild" (tm) in this nation is what caused the problem.
Yes.

I think it's more of a historical thing; those guys did it, so the next ones probably will.
Historical thing, as in historical myths -- and those historical myths are just as appropriately identified as the myths of the hysterical. People are free to believe whatever superstitions they wish, including the belief that it's about historical behavior and of assigning probabilities to future behavior; however, it really comes down to historical bias being packaged for continuity of political organization.

Organizing based on myths that involve a creation of "us" and "them" and of referencing "the other" is just part of the inherent political nature of mankind. Amongst the ways such organizing is done is via bias-rooted selective playing up and down of "historical things" and via playing the role of prophet/oracle.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 23, 2010 at 6:36 am
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:19 am
Suspended

In hindsight, the actions of the FA may seem overboard. But we have to judge based on what the FA reasonably believed at the time.
Sorry, this is no different in principle to a cop denying a gay man CPR because of the perception he has AIDS. And that case was settled for millions.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:05 am

On a lighter note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbCV7QKXk4s
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by themicah
Priceless!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.