Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
I was planning to go to to India the end of Jan. for a wedding, but am seriously considering staying home. No way am I packing clothes I would normally have in my carryon, plus gifts for the family.
If you choose to cancel, be sure to let the airlines know. Particularly the part how they have lost revenue.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by kressn
We need to find a better way of dealing with the threats, travel is a necessary evil, now we just have to figure out how to get the "evil" out of flying...
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The best way to get the evil out of flying is to get the federal government out of airport and airline security.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:48 pm

Question Personal electronic items?

Anyone able to confirm the idiocy that you're not allowed to use personal electronic items, e.g. laptops, iPods, etc, once on the aircraft, or is that more speculation and rumour-mongering?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
About the 1 hour rule

So if my one-year-old takes a big dump one hour before landing, all the passengers around us (in Y class) just have to endure the smell for an hour?

Or am I supposed to change his diaper on the seat?

Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
CNN is reporting that the TSA is encouraging you to put your coats in checked luggage, you know to speed things up.
The last time I checked luggage, it got lost for a week. So no, I will not put my coat in my checked bag.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
So if my one-year-old takes a big dump one hour before landing, all the passengers around us (in Y class) just have to endure the smell for an hour?

Store the spare diaper in your pocket and use the airline blanket and pillow cover to change and clean the baby on the seat?

It's not uncommon for some passengers to get sick on a plane -- sometimes even from plane food -- and vomit repeatedly during the last hour of a flight. That stink can't be good either.

These are stupid "rules" from incompetent people on a power trip who are just acting as if they are doing something for security.

Welcome to the dog and pony show known as "security".
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I agree, last hour, first hour, middle of the flight, they won't care. All these people want is to hurt inocent people and they will do so whenever they get the chance.

We need to find a better way of dealing with the threats, travel is a necessary evil, now we just have to figure out how to get the "evil" out of flying...
Maybe all they want to do is inconvenience 100s of millions of travelers by making them undergo degrading security and onboard conditions.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:59 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree, last hour, first hour, middle of the flight, they won't care. All these people want is to hurt inocent people and they will do so whenever they get the chance.
And it isn't like you can't tell which city you are over by looking out the window.

Welcome to flyertalk. ^
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
With respect ... TSA does have a point. During the cold months, I try to leave enough room in my carry-on rollaboard so that I can cram my coat into it just before I reach the checkpoint. It's one less thing I have to mess with while I'm doing the hold-your-boarding-pass, take-off-your-shoes, take-out-your-laptop, hold-your-pants-up-because-you-took-off-your-belt dance. (And, frankly, once I've gotten into the airport, I'm usually in climate-controlled environments until I reach my destination, so there's no need for the coat.
To each his own. I really need my coat in the airplane, during the flight. I don't wear it. I sit on it, so I can prevent pain in my behind from hours of travel on those hard seats. I'm very skinny and don't have the natural padding some people have.

Do you think I can ask for a medical exception for the future no coat on board rule??
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Wouldn't the full body scanners they now have eliminate the need for these draconian measures? Why not just drop a load of stimulus money on equipping all airports with those scanners?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by DillMan
I bet they'll feel super patroitic when they are waiting outside in sub-freezing temperatures with a 20mph wind for 45 minutes for the ScuzHotel(tm) courtesy shuttle to pick them up.
Waited outside for that shuttle once: missed connection in ATL and got comped to a 285 motel at 1 AM in winter in ATL. 20 degrees F and blowing wind. Thank goodness for my carry on GoreTex lined coat. I could not imagine doing the same in MSP or DTW.

Do any of these TSAers actually use those aluminum tubes out there on the ramp to see what it is like?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Perhaps President Obama and his entire Cabinet should fly in the next week (commercial only through all of the airports in the US) with these new rules and then we'll see how long they last!

It's truly amazing how reactive this agency is. And yet, they STILL don't have a good cargo security process/procedure. Amazing. . .

As far as this crackpot - news came out tonight that his father "warned" the US about his son's behavior prior to the flight. Not sure why the person was allowed on board in the first place.

Perhaps when the airlines see how much revenue they will now lose due to these "new" regulations they will step up and say "STOP" to the TSA?!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Wouldn't the full body scanners they now have eliminate the need for these draconian measures? Why not just drop a load of stimulus money on equipping all airports with those scanners?
Yeah.... no. Put dogs in place to sniff out explosives, there is NO reason the TSA needs to see my penis.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
No, 'cause there are ways to get things through the WBI without being detected, even though the TSA and the manufacturer will tell you that ain't so.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One

I think that dump may be a considered personal item. Best to hold the baby over the aisle and let s*** fall where it may.

You can't change the diaper in your seat because you can't have the diaper out in your lap.

Hmmm. I guess you could have the diaper on your head and drop the dirty one in the aisle. Or maybe toss it to the FA from your seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.