Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen liquids at the checkpoint experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I like the idea of the frozen liquids site/blog, but I don't do most of my flying within the US, so I am probably not the best person to launch it. Maybe we should think of a collective FT project of this sort.

Frozen pumpkin filling in a can (or any other canned good, for that matter) is a great idea! If I have time, I'll get some for my next flight, and add it to the frozen shampoo and water bottle I already intend to take.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I like the idea of the frozen liquids site/blog, but I don't do most of my flying within the US, so I am probably not the best person to launch it. Maybe we should think of a collective FT project of this sort.

Frozen pumpkin filling in a can (or any other canned good, for that matter) is a great idea! If I have time, I'll get some for my next flight, and add it to the frozen shampoo and water bottle I already intend to take.
I set up a preliminary blog site for this project. This should get us rolling. If anyone was planning a stand alone site, please continue. I just didn't want this idea to die from lack of attention.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:59 pm

In the latest puppy post, BB extols the need to test snow globes by opening them. Cans, even with frozen content, (and why pray tell would anyone freeze a canned product? come on now, REALLY?) being by nature opaque, are likely to get similar treatment.

I think that the person who, in the next few weeks, transits the check points the most times, carrying and perhaps eating and flaunting popsicles, WINS!

The best design for a holder or stand to get the popsicle through the x-ray machine with minimal dripping should get a special merit award.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Blogger Bob still has to explain to me why snow globes under 100 mLs are also not allowed, but liquids at that volume go through untested.

Frozen snow globe, anyone?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:09 am

I'm hardly a physics expert, but wouldn't that cause the snow globe to burst?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Snow globes may or may not burst when frozen, depending on the kind of liquid inside (I don't think they are all pure water) and the resistance of the globe material. This requires experimental work...
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blogger Bob still has to explain to me why snow globes under 100 mLs are also not allowed, but liquids at that volume go through untested.

Or why a snowglobe is safe in the cargo bay but not the cabin!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:30 am
Original Poster

So today things got a bit more interesting. I was carrying my frozen shampoo and a frozen water bottle. X-ray officer stopped me and said I would have to toss the bottles. I asked why. He says liquids are not permitted over 311 quantities. I said the bottles contained solids, not liquids. He pulls the bottles out and sees they are frozen. He then says they don't allow frozen goods. I answer that they do, according to their site and blog. His answer was "now that is just plain silly". I answered that it is indeed silly, but the liquid policy is sillier. He looks puzzled, and I suggest maybe he should consult a supervisor. His answer: "I don't need to, I have discretion". He lets me through!

So, it seems that with a little luck and/or persuasive tactics, I am still 100% successful with my frozen goods experiments!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:32 am

So today things got a bit more interesting. I was carrying my frozen shampoo and a frozen water bottle. X-ray officer stopped me and said I would have to toss the bottles. I asked why. He says liquids are not permitted over 311 quantities. I said the bottles contained solids, not liquids. He pulls the bottles out and sees they are frozen. He then says they don't allow frozen goods. I answer that they do, according to their site and blog. His answer was "now that is just plain silly". I answered that it is indeed silly, but the liquid policy is sillier. He looks puzzled, and I suggest maybe he should consult a supervisor. His answer: "I don't need to, I have discretion". He lets me through!

So, it seems that with a little luck and/or persuasive tactics, I am still 100% successful with my frozen goods experiments!
You are my hero.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold

YAY!

Might I ask, which airport?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neuron
YAY!

Might I ask, which airport?
SFO. Still here, waiting for my delayed flight...
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:42 am

SFO. Still here, waiting for my delayed flight...
Sorry you are stuck. Hopefully it is not too bad. At least you have some nice cold water to drink.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While you have been able to get frozen items through we again see the failings of TSA training or lack of training.

It seems that either Bob via PV did not give correct information or that TSA has failed to educate its screeners.

Either ends up being a problem for travelers with issues at checkpoints caused solely by TSA's inability to provide a reasonable screening.

How can this agency be so incompetent?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
While you have been able to get frozen items through we again see the failings of TSA training or lack of training.

It seems that either Bob via PV did not give correct information or that TSA has failed to educate its screeners.

Either ends up being a problem for travelers with issues at checkpoints caused solely by TSA's inability to provide a reasonable screening.

Management who value form over substance. Managers who've neglected their duties to both their subordinates and the public. Managers whose contempt for doing the job they've been paid to do boarders on criminal neglect.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Incompetence, and lack of training is part of the inconsistencies designed into the system to keep us safer. TSA believes the less TSO's know, the safer we all are.

Last edited by Tom M.; Nov 22, 2009 at 9:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.