Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen liquids at the checkpoint experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Frozen liquids at the checkpoint experiences

I am going to be in the US for the next few weeks, and will have the chance to test the new ice policy. I openly admit I am going to take frozen stuff to the checkpoint to test if this is a celebrity-only rule and question the silliness of the whole thing. Has anyone here tried the ice rule yet? How did it go?

I'm planning to start out with a full bottle of frozen shampoo. Not sure yet if I'll keep it in my bag or if I take it out for maximum effect. Wish me luck!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
sounds like a good idea (and personally, i think more pax should test the "ice nonsense") but i think frozen shampoo might be a bad choice as it is technically a gel and not a liquid and imho, that one would lose. i'd actually want to see "the test" done exactly the same way with a cup of ice and see what happens as if denied, then you have "an exact match" and more proof that some pax are in fact treated differently based on who they are
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by goalie
sounds like a good idea (and personally, i think more pax should test the "ice nonsense") but i think frozen shampoo might be a bad choice as it is technically a gel and not a liquid and imho, that one would lose. i'd actually want to see "the test" done exactly the same way with a cup of ice and see what happens as if denied, then you have "an exact match" and more proof that some pax are in fact treated differently based on who they are
My birdies tell me that the rule covers liquid, gel and aerosol. If the shampoo is frozen it would no longer be a gel, it would be a solid.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:05 am
Original Poster

I like the idea of freezing shampoo because it is rather silly, and illustrates the silliness of the whole rule. I am also quite sure its not something seen at the checkpoint every day. I have done a "test freeze" and it does get totally solid, and lasts quite some time without thawing.

We'll see how it goes. I have quite a few connections and trips on different days, so I can test quite a few frozen goods.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I like the idea of freezing shampoo because it is rather silly, and illustrates the silliness of the whole rule. I am also quite sure its not something seen at the checkpoint every day. I have done a "test freeze" and it does get totally solid, and lasts quite some time without thawing.

We'll see how it goes. I have quite a few connections and trips on different days, so I can test quite a few frozen goods.
I wish I had the cash to mail you the "Blogger Bob Says" shirt. I think it would be a hoot when they give you a hassle you just point to the shirt. Or print out that blog post and hand it to them.

What ever you do, get the name of any supervisor that denies the shampoo. And for goodness sakes take pictures and record the encounter if you can do so legally.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

I guess I will have to make do without the t-shirt, although it would certainly be fun. I will take note of names, but I don't think I will try recording. As a foreigner, I feel it may put me into a bit too much trouble for my comfort.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I guess I will have to make do without the t-shirt, although it would certainly be fun. I will take note of names, but I don't think I will try recording. As a foreigner, I feel it may put me into a bit too much trouble for my comfort.
I looked at the shipping for outside the U.S. .. Yikes.

If you or any of the other FTers outside the U.S. want to create your own shirts using my designs drop me a PM and I will loan you the graphics.

In any case you do need to print up the blog post and keep it with you. This way if they try to push the "interfering with a screener" crap you have an out.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
Hmm, do you think this means ice cream can be taken through the checkpoint now? This is actually going to be relevant to me in a couple weeks as I am going to visit family and would love to bring some of my favorite ice cream in the world along, without checking bags.

(Jeni's ice cream in Columbus, for those who are curious)
Old Nov 14, 2009, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
In any case you do need to print up the blog post and keep it with you. This way if they try to push the "interfering with a screener" crap you have an out.
Already done.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: *A
Great idea, keep us posted.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Sadly, it will be a very limited 'out'. The TSO will just say that the website is wrong.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Sadly, it will be a very limited 'out'. The TSO will just say that the website is wrong.
Think of the embarrassment to the HQ crew if you have the name of the TSO, and a recording of the incident.

I better not say too much I don't want FT attacked again.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Think of the embarrassment to the HQ crew if you have the name of the TSO, and a recording of the incident.

I better not say too much I don't want FT attacked again.
I don't know...seems to be a really big disconnect between the folks on the line and the website. TSORon hasn't been shy about saying that Blogger Bob was flat out wrong about the liquid/ice issue...
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:39 am

Can someone explain the frozen rule to me? We don't have it up here.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I would recommend carrying the TSA's 311 sheet
http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm
and make sure the frozen part is highlighted!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.