Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Should Bring the visitors back into the concourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Bring the visitors back into the concourse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by AirShuttle6162
I sure hope not, the airports are crowded enough the way it is, the flying ma and pa kettles already slow down the security lines, we dont need to add more non flying ma,pa and grandpa kettles to the long lines. Not to mention that when some of us get off the plane we would like to get to where we need to be and not have to weave our way through people that really have no need to be there.
Funny, the kettles were never an issue prior to 9/11. I never had to wait more than a few minutes even at hub airports with nonpax going thru.

It's not the kettles so much that slow down security, it's TSA with its stupidity. Nonpax going thru right now are a nonstarter because of it, not because they slow down the line.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The lines are already bad enough. If we can get pre-9/11 security procedures back (which would leave us just as safe as we are now), then it would be OK at most airports, but right now if you want family to meet you or accompany you to the gate, they can buy a refundable ticket and go through the screening process - the few who are willing to do that keeps the numbers manageable.
Actually all they need is a bootleg copy of Acrobat and an actual ID.

No need to buy refundable plane tickets when you can generate as many print-at-home boarding passes as you want. Just have to make sure the details are valid for the airport you're trying to get into.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by mozgytog
Actually all they need is a bootleg copy of Acrobat and an actual ID.

No need to buy refundable plane tickets when you can generate as many print-at-home boarding passes as you want. Just have to make sure the details are valid for the airport you're trying to get into.
Why a bootleg copy? Can't they go pay for a copy? Why are you promoting theft?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LessO2
The result would be the necessity to check IDs at the gate, rather than the "security" checkpoint.
ID checks happen at the gate in almost every other country in the world, so you know ;-)

Originally Posted by reamworks
Theft and copying of software are two very different things and it's quite depressing to see them thrown in one bucket, but please let's not get so COMPLETELY off topic, thanks.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 21, 2010 at 8:01 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by LessO2
Will never happen.

The result would be the necessity to check IDs at the gate, rather than the "security" checkpoint. A 777, with about 250 people on it, one ID checker, with each one taking 15 to 20 seconds....that's four people per minute. And on a 777 with 250 people would take a little over an hour for one person to check all the IDs.
This is the procedure in much of the rest of the world, and it doesn't delay things substantially. In the UK, for instance, security do not check ID at all, just that you have a valid boarding pass.

Neil
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by pacer142
This is the procedure in much of the rest of the world, and it doesn't delay things substantially. In the UK, for instance, security do not check ID at all, just that you have a valid boarding pass.

Neil
In the UK they dont even have a mandate for people to have ID or a drivers license even when driving. And they seemed proud of that. Interesting.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TSORon
In the UK they dont even have a mandate for people to have ID or a drivers license even when driving. And they seemed proud of that. Interesting.
And how many airplanes have been taken over by terrorists in the UK because of this egregious lapse of security?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by halls120
And how many airplanes have been taken over by terrorists in the UK because of this egregious lapse of security?
Look it up.

http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
It seems we may have someone that actually works for the TSA in this discussion. We just really need to let security go back to the way it was before, PERIOD. About 30 seconds in line, throw your keys and coins in a little basket, put your bag through x-ray, walk through the metal detector, and be on your way. One terrible attack, out of nearly 100 years of flying throughs us into this panic state. Why does it seem this organization forgets that box-cutters were allowed on planes before 9/11, so if security saw them, they wouldn't have taken them away. I put my faith more in the FBI and CIA to catch terrorist before they get to the airport, than some $8.50 per hour TSA agent telling me to take my shoes off and put liquids in a stupid zip-lock bag. If I knew I was never going to fly again, for my last flight, I would make that security officer sorry I was flying that day.

"You mean I have to take my shoes off?"
"Both of them?"
"Can you help me, I just had back surgery and can't bend over to take them off."
"Man that smells bad, since my back surgery, I haven't been able to wash my feet in the shower and I have a little foot rash"
"Shampoo and toothpaste? Yeah, I just made a trip to Sam's club and bought a years worth." All this while I hold up the line 30 minutes.

Last edited by cody77; Aug 21, 2010 at 6:02 pm
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by reamworks
Not at all. Just figuring that people who are willing to sneak into an airport on a fake boarding pass to steal stuff are willing to pirate some software. Real, licensed Acrobat will work just as well.

So amend that to 'a copy of Acrobat'.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mozgytog
Not at all. Just figuring that people who are willing to sneak into an airport on a fake boarding pass to steal stuff are willing to pirate some software. Real, licensed Acrobat will work just as well.

So amend that to 'a copy of Acrobat'.
Yes, could be travel fraudulent who gotten fake BP and fake identifications is not real proper name. If you see someone who having a fake BP. TSA will notify the police and it is subject to get arrestable on these people who is trying sneaks through into the aircraft without scanned the BP & reservations number, too.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, could be travel fraudulent who gotten fake BP and fake identifications is not real proper name. If you see someone who having a fake BP. TSA will notify the police and it is subject to get arrestable on these people who is trying sneaks through into the aircraft without scanned the BP & reservations number, too.
I was just saying that if someone's goal was to get into an airport so they could steal things from passengers, they wouldn't really need to buy a refundable ticket. They could just 'shop themselves a boarding pass.

It wasn't that they want to get on the plane, just past TSA where they can swipe things from luggage.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
three feet in front of you there is a hoard of toothless, gormless, flag and slogan waving military family members there to welcome some soldier type, fresh back from war and seated in row forty something.
Family of returning members of armed forces can get gate passes today.

Military Family Member Gate Passes

Family members who want to accompany a military service member being deployed to the boarding gate or greet them returning from deployment at the arrival gate may receive passes to enter the secure area of the airport.

Interested military family members should contact their air carrier representative at the departure/arrival airport for proper local procedures.
Anyway, I think anyone willing to pay say $5 should be able to get a gate pass.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, American AAdvantage, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mre5765
Family of returning members of armed forces can get gate passes today.

Military Family Member Gate Passes

Family members who want to accompany a military service member being deployed to the boarding gate or greet them returning from deployment at the arrival gate may receive passes to enter the secure area of the airport.

Interested military family members should contact their air carrier representative at the departure/arrival airport for proper local procedures.
Anyway, I think anyone willing to pay say $5 should be able to get a gate pass.
Man, you shouldn't have said that. Now all the extra fees aren't only going to be provided by the airlines, but the airports too. Haha. But seriously, as I said before, my property taxes are paying for our town's new terminal. Just because we have about ten flights a day, the idiots that run our town think we're JFK all of a sudden. But that's another story. Anyway, if I'm paying for it, my feelings are I should be able to visit it, for free, flying or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.