Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Should Bring the visitors back into the concourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Bring the visitors back into the concourse?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:12 pm

Vote No

Besides what previous FTers stated about the increase in traffic in the concourse areas, this would also invite criminal activity and make it easier for criminals to blend in with the crowds. However, it might solve the unattended bag issue at most airports.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I know the airport director here has always wanted visitors to be admitted as he is thinking about the almighty dollar that would be made in the restaurants & bars etc.

But imo it will never happen & I've heard of nothing in the works.
CLT doesn't have anything that charlotte doesn't have besides the crappy HMS Host sandwiches that are the same across the country. There is a Chilis not too far from the airport. There is not enough business around the airport to generate enough need for those stores. Plus they'd have to greatly increase the hourly parking spots. The daily decks are full enough when Remote is closed (which seems to be most of the time) and I'd think parking in Long Term would be too much hassle and under 2 hours you haven't even reached the break even point between hourly and long term.

they'd also have to seriously consider putting light rain between CLT and uptown.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by gj83
CLT doesn't have anything that charlotte doesn't have besides the crappy HMS Host sandwiches that are the same across the country. There is a Chilis not too far from the airport. There is not enough business around the airport to generate enough need for those stores.
I knows lot of warehouse workers are taking the sandwiches to another concourse. When they are delivery into the HMS Host truck to be on transport to T4. It will be in N1, N2, N3, N4 & S2, S3, S4. This is where they are making the fruit, yogurt, salad, sandwiches and etc. Some of Starbucks is in terminal 3 will delivery there from Commissary Kitchen. Our manager are taking own responsibility to provided to be delivery the trolley into the truck. Its does not need to be screening the sandwiches right after security. I know where we are working outside security. Sometimes I visit into the concourse to watch the plane. Some of another co-worker or superviors are taking the sandwiches & salad to Sbarro or Starbucks, too.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The lines are already bad enough. If we can get pre-9/11 security procedures back (which would leave us just as safe as we are now), then it would be OK at most airports, but right now if you want family to meet you or accompany you to the gate, they can buy a refundable ticket and go through the screening process - the few who are willing to do that keeps the numbers manageable.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I did forget to mention in my post that the only way I would be for it is if much of the TSA stupidity (ID, shoes, water,...) was eliminated.

I truthfully doubt that in this day and age that there would be a rush on the gates for families waiting for mom/dad to return home. Hmm, lets pay $50 to park for two hours, spend $50 for lunch at Chili's II, and hang out in airport crowds all afternoon. Instead I can check flight status online, time leaving to get to the airport as mom/dad exit baggage claim, hang out for few minutes in a fee cell phone lot, and get a call to meet him/her at the curb.

I could see it making it easier on families with unaccompanied minors, the elderly or maybe even first time travelers.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by QUERY
Besides what previous FTers stated about the increase in traffic in the concourse areas, this would also invite criminal activity and make it easier for criminals to blend in with the crowds. However, it might solve the unattended bag issue at most airports.
It's already easy for criminals to do that. Look how many thefts at airports happen already. If a criminal wants to get in, all they have to do is buy a refundable ticket and they're in. It's not rocket science.

I don't care about this one way or the other. I don't think it'll happen as long as TSA's stupidity is in place though. The lines are long enough already thanks to their stupidity. If it's a choice between maintaining their stupidity or getting rid of it for shorter lines, I think we know which TSA would choose.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tev9999
I did forget to mention in my post that the only way I would be for it is if much of the TSA stupidity (ID, shoes, water,...) was eliminated.
That's a given.

I truthfully doubt that in this day and age that there would be a rush on the gates for families waiting for mom/dad to return home. Hmm, lets pay $50 to park for two hours, spend $50 for lunch at Chili's II, and hang out in airport crowds all afternoon. Instead I can check flight status online, time leaving to get to the airport as mom/dad exit baggage claim, hang out for few minutes in a fee cell phone lot, and get a call to meet him/her at the curb.
When this economic downturn first happened, I thought that the reduction in passengers, which in turn would result in lower revenue for airports, plus the reduction in SSSS might enable passengers to go into the "sterile" area. Surprisingly enough, the TSA won't allow this. Usually, it's Capitalism trumping "security," but it looks like this might stand.

I could see it making it easier on families with unaccompanied minors, the elderly or maybe even first time travelers.
That system is already in place. CSRs can issue gate passes for cases like that (add language assistance into your list as well).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by LessO2

That system is already in place. CSRs can issue gate passes for cases like that (add language assistance into your list as well).
Agree, but it would just be one less hoop for people to jump through. Would also alleviate some lines at the check-in counter.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
@:-) Or they could get rid of the pointless, illegal ID checks and then these issues would be resolved.

In Australia there's no ID checks at security (yeah, I know, the bad guys hate you more than they hate us. ) and so in domestic terminals anyone can go to the gate as long as they go through screening. I occasionally see relatives waiting for arriving passengers but it doesn't seem to cause any particular problems with crowds.
Hmm, it might be a culture difference. But as I recall, pre Sep. 11 easily a 1/3 of the folks going through security were non-travels (be it family, limo drivers, etc).

BTW: That reminds me, this is one thing I miss, pre-Sept. 11 a car/limo service driver would meet one at the gate. And most would be happy to carry your rollaboard/bag/etc.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree, but it would just be one less hoop for people to jump through. Would also alleviate some lines at the check-in counter.
Oh, that angle vis-a-vis this discussion is a non-issue. The airlines are doing all they can to steer passengers to on-line check-in or kiosk check-in....to enable them to reduce the staff at the check-in counters, not to alleviate congestion itself.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Do you consider if TSA will have been approved to bring visitors back in the concourse once again. Just right thing to do for those people who likely to watch the planes all of the times. They have trusted them with good people doesn't have any common problems for a long time. So it's time to bring non-ticketed passengers is back. I got a great news for you. DHS/TSA will have to be in negotiations deals to be reinstates non-ticketed back in the gate areas immediately. I believe there is no potential threats against the terrorized all of those years. I knows TSA is an inappropriate behaviors by last Christmas Day incident.

I wasn't aware of TSA rules will be lifted soon as possible. Just step forward to bring non-ticketed passengers will allow to enter the sterile areas. We need to be appeals for what they done something wrong against old security events of 9/11 attacks. Hopefully they will learn more lessons to be more responsible with these people need to search at security. There is no such things about restrictions with ticket passengers only will be eased. Don't let TSA make another mistaken again in the future. It's extremely importance things to do for the visitors will permitted beyond at security checkpoint again. I have been wait for almost 10 years now. So it's time to lets non-ticketed passengers is back at the gate area soon as possible.

This is not an justification against FAA are not too smart enough to wasting the times new security measures. This is not necessary due to new security measures will be drop soon as possible. It should have to bring non-ticketed passengers back in the concourse to watch the planes. I can have reconsider to DHS/TSA will have approved to bring visitors back in the gate areas. So please have more understandable very clearly for TSA. I just want for everyone will be very extremely happy to hear the news.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really hope non-ticketed people won't be admitted airside. The concourses are crowded enough (as are the club rooms), and I used to hate when a whole family would wait at the door to the jetway to greet an arriving pax, blocking everyone else from exiting.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:10 am

I have to agree with the majority; the concourses are already too crowded and often there is nowhere to sit in the gate area.

Ten years ago I don't think that airports had the same volume of carry on, either, and I think that all those pieces and rollaboards add to the crowding. Navigating ORD in the summertime is like working through an obstacle course. I cannot imagine if more people were in the concourse, and most of those would be killing time, wandering, blocking pathways, etc instead of sitting at the gate or in a lounge.

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I know the airport director here has always wanted visitors to be admitted as he is thinking about the almighty dollar that would be made in the restaurants & bars etc.

But imo it will never happen & I've heard of nothing in the works.
Design an airport a certain way, and have efficient security, and it can work. MUC is a great place to shop and dine landside, without long security waits (a big bonus is that shops are open Sundays and holidays unlike in the rest of Bavaria) AND the airport gives free parking with proof of 10 Euros purchase. But they do have a giant park house to meet the need, and I will admit that parking often takes me longer than running my errands!

And for plane spotters there is the wonderful visitors park, complete with old timer aircraft which cost 1 Euro in the turnstyle to climb onboard.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
This is going to come across as being rather insensitive and crass, but I'm a little jetlagged and I'm wide awake when I should be fast asleep, so here goes....

[Shiver] Eehuhuh! Non-flyers at the gate? Don't remind me. It was a real pain in the backside having to negotiate my way through other peoples families air side.

For some reason they always seemed to sport an unnecessarily large girth, insisted on standing in the wrong place (i.e., in the way), and when they did move, walked four abreast at a snails pace right in front of me. The most irritating were those military families welcoming some gormless twat who'd just spent three months guarding the McDonalds at Ramstein or Incirlik, only to emerge from the jetway to a sea of twenty plus relatives, all waving ridiculous banners, flags held sideways and upside down, and struggling to hold up part of a three foot wide cake with an equally ridiculous patriotic phrase of some sort squirted across it in icing. I am quite sure the poor cake was completely devoured within minutes of the gentleman's arrival in some sort of macabre feeding frenzy. And then there'd always be a provocatively dressed hot blonde in the group who looked like she'd just stepped off the set of a Ginger Lynn movie, and then she'd open her mouth, and hey presto, no teeth! Why was that? I am so grateful that at most airports this kind of idiocy is now relegated to baggage claim - a place I don't often have to visit. Eehuh [/shiver]

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Jul 4, 2010 at 12:40 am
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
This is going to come across as being rather insensitive and crass, but I'm a little jetlagged and I'm wide awake when I should be fast asleep, so here goes....

[Shiver] Eehuhuh! Non-flyers at the gate? Don't remind me. It was a real pain in the backside having to negotiate my way through other peoples families air side.

For some reason they always seemed to sport an unnecessarily large girth, insisted on standing in the wrong place (i.e., in the way), and when they did move, walked four abreast at a snails pace right in front of me. The most irritating were those military families welcoming some gormless twat who'd just spent three months guarding the McDonalds at Ramstein or Incirlik, only to emerge from the jetway to a sea of twenty plus relatives, all waving ridiculous banners, flags held sideways and upside down, and struggling to hold up part of a three foot wide cake with an equally ridiculous patriotic phrase of some sort squirted across it in icing. I am quite sure the poor cake was completely devoured within minutes of the gentleman's arrival in some sort of macabre feeding frenzy. And then there'd always be a provocatively dressed hot blonde in the group who looked like she'd just stepped off the set of a Ginger Lynn movie, and then she'd open her mouth, and hey presto, no teeth! Why was that? I am so grateful that at most airports this kind of idiocy is now relegated to baggage claim - a place I don't often have to visit. Eehuh [/shiver]
You might should have waited until you had some rest. Insulting the families of returning soldiers on Independence Day is a bit much for me.

The fact that you are right on many aspects (the slow pace, blocking gates) is overwhelmed by your over the top hyperbole and excessive derision of these families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.