Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Accidentally left cell phone on, connected, during 2-hour flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accidentally left cell phone on, connected, during 2-hour flight.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Nothing will happen. Nothing did happen.

I've flown airplanes with 26 radios, multiple satcoms, and various other comm suites installed. We still flew.
And this from someone who I would have hoped at least understood the issue.

I sincerely hope you realise that this is a different point entirely. Shielded, aviation-rated equipment has nothing to do with a relatively unshielded consumer GSM phone.

Originally Posted by harper99
I have never...ever turned my phone off in flight just on principle. It always loses signal while climbing. It is a ridiculous policy that has no basis other than control.
Nice job, buddy Save your civil disobedience for your living room, spare the rest of us. Do you never...ever leave your seatbelt fastened either, just so they can't "control" you by keeping you pinned in your seat?

Yet again, another thread on this subject degenerates into "I'll do whatever I want, watch me" nonsense.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:44 pm

My phone is not GSM, and even GSM phones do not pose a safety risk...at WORST a little growl in a headset on very rare occasions IF they are making or receiving a call. Just being 'on' doesn't even do that. And NONE of the common consumer electronics interfere with critical cockpit systems as some people still claim with fear in their voice.

I apply safety standards I find reasonable. Yes I wear my belt as it makes sense. No I do not turn off my Verizon phone because it has zero safety impact.

Anything else?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by wilp888
I left my cellphone on by accident one time flying HKG-SFO and nothing happened except the battery drained pretty quickly.
That is because the phone was constantly trying to find a cell to connect to, so the battery would have had greater demands on it.

Dave
Old Oct 8, 2009, 5:07 pm

Hope you had a big bucket of minutes.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Just a point on scientific observation - The mere fact that nothing happened on any one flight where a cell phone was left on is not scientific proof that a cell phone cannnot ever cause problems to a plane in-flight.

This is not to say that there isn't reasonable scientific evidence on this subject or that cell phones actually cause problems on planes - rather that all the anecdotes of people leaving cell phones turned on while flying does not constitute useful evidence.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Just a point on scientific observation - The mere fact that nothing happened on any one flight where a cell phone was left on is not scientific proof that a cell phone cannnot ever cause problems to a plane in-flight.

This is not to say that there isn't reasonable scientific evidence on this subject or that cell phones actually cause problems on planes - rather that all the anecdotes of people leaving cell phones turned on while flying does not constitute useful evidence.
True, the old air search radar (ASR) had a tendency to set off the old style flashbulbs if you got too close to it. That being said, all of the avionics on board a commercial airliner had undergone significant EMI/RFI emissions and susceptibility testing at levels significantly above what should be commonly experienced by an aircraft either on the ground or in flight. The rub comes into play on poorly maintained aircraft (i.e RF shielding panels left off of avionics equipment) that a cell phone might cause some problems.

If you want to see how a cell phone might adversely effect electronics then put it on top of a clock radio and listen. Every few minutes you should hear a bit of noise, even with the radio off as the cell phone updates itself by connecting to a cell tower.

The airlines have their reasons for cell phones being off during flights and I'm willing to comply since it really isn't worth it for me to fight that fight. A couple hours of more of peace and quiet are more than worth it to me.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Superguy
He went on to explain that he discussed this at length with Boeing engineers and one of them summed it up nicely: "Do you honestly think we'd design a plane that could be brought down by someone simply having their cell phone on?"
What about Airbus?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Bad News: It is what DID happen. At 1:11 into your flight, the plane nosedived into the ground and you are deceased.

Good News: We don't know if you are posting from Heaven or He!!, but obviously they have free Wifi as your posts are coming thru as long as your laptop battery holds out.

Best News: You're in the Afterlife, so time for you to do the Ultimate TRIP REPORT with pictures, please.
Now that is funny.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:02 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by star_world

I sincerely hope you realise that this is a different point entirely. Shielded, aviation-rated equipment has nothing to do with a relatively unshielded consumer GSM phone.
I understand the issue completly (please show me a reply where I stated otherwise or noted that I was not talking about off the shelf tech???) and I have given the FAA feedback as part of a test team on various interference issues regarding devices being on during ILS approaches and other critical phases of flight. I have seen several of the test results both FAA, Military, and corporate. The public is safe; the sky is not falling.

The radios and planes I speak of flying in were NOT all shielded, infact I've flown in airplanes with cell phone transmitter boxes strapped to the inside and outside to transmit to GCI jungle stations in Ecuador and Colombia using off the shelf tech.

The point is their is no critical interference from ANY electronic source.

Ciao,
FH
Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
Per the above posts, the Blackberrys have an "radio off" function. One can read and compose emails for hours from the device memory while offline, and when it is reconnected on the ground, the emails are all sent at once.

Blackberrys work very poorly if more than a few thousand feet off the ground, and not at all at cruising altitudes.
Cruising altitude between DEN/COS is 5000 ft or so above the ground. Sometimes when I am reading and composing offline for the 5 minutes I am allowed to (15 minute flight in the air), I notice I've forgotten to turn the radio off, and text, calls, and emails come in.

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Just a point on scientific observation - The mere fact that nothing happened on any one flight where a cell phone was left on is not scientific proof that a cell phone cannot ever cause problems to a plane in-flight.
Yes let's go there.

In a plane with 200 pax, what are the odds that every pax has turned his phone off? Close to zero. If 99.9% of all pax turn their phone off, then the odds all 200 have are 0.999 ** 200, the odds at one did not, are 1 - 0.999 ** 200 = 18%. Considering the number of planes that fly every day, if there was even a remote risk to cell phones causing planes to crash, then they'll be crashing by the thousands every day.

I dutifully turn my blackberry off every flight, and I'd say 1/3 of the time the thing comes on. All it takes is light pressure on the red button. This is one of the reasons why it stays on vibrate; I don't want it ringing while in flight. There are dozens of blackberries and other candy bar phones on every flight.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I understand the issue completly (please show me a reply where I stated otherwise or noted that I was not talking about off the shelf tech???) and I have given the FAA feedback as part of a test team on various interference issues regarding devices being on during ILS approaches and other critical phases of flight. I have seen several of the test results both FAA, Military, and corporate. The public is safe; the sky is not falling.

The radios and planes I speak of flying in were NOT all shielded, infact I've flown in airplanes with cell phone transmitter boxes strapped to the inside and outside to transmit to GCI jungle stations in Ecuador and Colombia using off the shelf tech.

The point is their is no critical interference from ANY electronic source.

Ciao,
FH
There certainly is the potential for interference from any electronic source. That much is known. The only unknown is the probability of this occurring. The completion of a successful flight, or 10, or 1,000 does not prove the theory that it is "safe" in any way. There has been extensive research on the subject, with a wide variety of results from completely safe to slight risk.

But that is actually beside the point. Why would you feel the need to prove that it is safe (to yourself? to others?) by deliberately leaving your device(s) on. On the basis that it doesn't work anyway, what do you possibly have to gain from this? It's the attitude I don't get - I understand the engineering involved to an extremely detailed level.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by harper99
If the aircraft has wireless internet installed you could feasibly be online...but otherwise you wouldn't be able to get connected.

I have never...ever turned my phone off in flight just on principle. It always loses signal while climbing. It is a ridiculous policy that has no basis other than control.
i turn my phone off/airplane mode simply to save battery because searching sucks the battery down too fast..
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:49 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
There certainly is the potential for interference from any electronic source. That much is known. The only unknown is the probability of this occurring. The completion of a successful flight, or 10, or 1,000 does not prove the theory that it is "safe" in any way. There has been extensive research on the subject, with a wide variety of results from completely safe to slight risk.

Of course there [sic] can be interference, but not enough to cause problems with instruments to affect critical phases of flight. As others have noted, planes are not designed so that something like a cell phone could cause massive problems. Planes gets struck by lightning all the time; should we not fly in clouds?

But that is actually beside the point. Why would you feel the need to prove that it is safe (to yourself? to others?) by deliberately leaving your device(s) on. On the basis that it doesn't work anyway, what do you possibly have to gain from this? It's the attitude I don't get - I understand the engineering involved to an extremely detailed level.
I presume you is a second person plural and not a singular directed at me, as I said nothing of the sort. I understand the engineering to a detailed level as well-I'm glad you do also...

If you want to attack the OP's attitude as feckless or inane, go for it, but please do not claim "safety" as some catch-all for it.

Ciao,
FH
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:38 am

It's not that cell phones get no signal in the air. On the contrary, they get too many strong signals in the air because the phone is in line of sight of hundreds of towers. The towers would reuse the same frequencies and that causes interference.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic

"Shielded" aviation radios vs an "unshielded" GSM phone?? Radios (FlyingHoustonian's radios and GSM phones) work by transmitting radio energy. You can't shield the part that transmits energy or it doesn't work.

Originally Posted by nd2010
It's not that cell phones get no signal in the air. On the contrary, they get too many strong signals in the air because the phone is in line of sight of hundreds of towers. The towers would reuse the same frequencies and that causes interference.
Uhh, no. Even when you're on the ground, your phone is typically in sight of several cell towers. Your phone keeps track of which towers (usually 3) have the strongest signals and uses one of those until it becomes necessary to switch to another, but the fact that it's in contact with more than one tower doesn't "cause interference."

You are partially right but for the wrong reason. The handover algorithms in mobile phones (how quickly they decide to change from one tower to another) assumes the phone is moving at car/train speed or slower. Moving from one cell to another at aircraft speed can cause dropouts. But not interference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.