Wiki Posts
Search

Screwed by MCI, Lets band together!!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2001, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Screwed by MCI, Lets band together!!

Has MCI made you promises for FF miles for signups etc and not followed through?

I have noticed several Instances on this board similar to my experience.

I called and was offered 25,000 AA miles to switch and I went ahead with it. Later I find out that the offer had expired. (I specifically asked if the offer was valid for me and he said yes) Talking more, I found out that this happens quite often because the sales people are commissioned and they will literally sign you up for an expired offer just to get your account and their commission and hope you don't notice or give up. The person that made me this offer was written up for disipinary action by two different people I spoke with at MCI. They, however, are stonewalling and still refusing to give me the miles, despite speaking with the residential executive offices.

My thinking is that if we band together, we can perhaps all send complaints together to the FCC, BBB, our state atty general's office, etc. Who knows perhaps if we get enough we can find an attorney to file a class action against MCI.

Please e-mail me your complaints with as many details as you can. I will attempt to act as a clearing house and let you know what steps I am going to take prior to releasing your story to anyone.

Also--If you still have an ongoing dispute, e-mail me and I will give you the number to the residintial executive offices. They could not help me but the CSR supervisor couldn't figure out how I got the number b/c they are about 5 steps above her.
(They also answer their phone on the second ring :-) )
Old May 9, 2001, 8:30 pm

Location: you can't affordably get there (anywhere) from here (central MT)
Originally posted by The Mile Dog:
the number to the residintial executive offices. . . . (They also answer their phone on the second ring :-) )
How I would have liked to have that number when I had a dispute with them.

Long story short: I was signed up twice for their 25K offer; both times (I thought) for DL SkyMiles. They enrolled me in AA (which doesn't even fly into MT!) It took me months and months and months of calling to finally get the situation rectified. I figured I EARNED those 25K miles given all the time & effort it took me to finally have them post the miles to my DL account.

I vowed that I will never do biz with MCI again. . . . altho' now that I could have access to that phone number you have . . . maybe . . . http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Best to you on your project. I know what it feels like to have been scr*w*d by MCI.
Old May 18, 2001, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the e-mails, wow seems a lot of problems with MCI. Anyone else want to join in?
Old May 24, 2001, 5:35 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, I never got my points after dozens of promises and follow ups and a registered complaint too! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
Old May 25, 2001, 2:47 pm

I was on the phone with MCI again this week about the promises they have not kept. In February I was promised 4 Rapid rewards credits for agreeing to receive their calling card. Of course I got the card, but no credits. It also took me at least 6 other telephone calls to get the other credits I was promised.
Old May 26, 2001, 9:04 am

MCI called a week ago and offered me $75 to switch from Sprint. (I had switched from MCI to Sprint a couple of months ago). I asked for miles instead and since they don't offer NW miles I asked for another partner miles - FlightFund - I was offered 5000 miles a month for 6 months. I found it hard to believe. I asked him to repeat it several times and to put it in writing. He said he would. He also said it was his first day on the job. I'm waiting for something in the mail. I got an e-mail from MCI , saying my "bonus" miles were on the way, but not giving specifics. I'll let you know the results.
Old May 26, 2001, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
My woes with MCI began when I changed phone numbers. PacBell offered to advise MCI of the change but that's when the finger pointing started. My number was switched but my original plan was not. My average long-distance bill of $200 balloned to over $1000 in 2 months. Calls to several representatives heeded to conclusion. One offered to help me get a refund for what was clearly their mistake. But two days later my refund was rejected. When I called back , a representative even taunted me by saying that a rejection is a rejection, good luck in getting any money back.

I found that the day time staff of represtatives are miles better to deal with than the nighttime/weekend reps. I got my money back but that was last month.

I just received a bill for another $1200 because again MCI did not transfer all my calling plans I had on my old number.

So I'll just pay the bill and switch to Sprint.
Old May 27, 2001, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta, AA
Beware of the telemarketers! They proimise the moon and MCI delivers zilch! I really can't help but think MCI knows what is going on but just looks the other way because they do generate sign-ups. This is a real scam.
Old May 28, 2001, 6:38 pm

MCI customer service always blames the telemarketers. I always argue with them that the left hand is responsible for what the right hand promises.

I usually resort to filing complaints with the state's public utilities commission and this brings results. Had to do it twice for DL points, but they came through in the end.
Old May 29, 2001, 10:37 pm

I was in the same situation as many of you seem to be in currently with MCI but there may be a solution. After waiting a year and numerous phone calls, I finally contacted AA directly and spoke to the individual that handles the MCI account. I explained to the account representative that MCI was blaming AA for not crediting my account with the miles due me. MCI insisted that AA issued the miles and they were not at fault. Therefore, I had to explain to the MCI rep that MCI purchases the miles, determines how many miles a customer gets credited, and authorizes AA to post the miles. MCI employees lack the necessary knowledge to promote these bonuses and I also believe that MCI should be held accountable for making false representations. Their errors and lack of knowledge should not be at the expense of the customer acting in good faith. After about 8 weeks 10,000 miles was credited to my account which was still far below what was promised but was better than nothing.

Call the Aadvantage customer service number and ask to be connected to the AA representative that handles MCI's account. You may not get all the miles due you but it's worth a try.

[This message has been edited by Rosemarie (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old May 30, 2001, 10:30 am

I called MCI about missing miles and was told I was never signed up for any AA mileage bonus. And that I was not eligible because I'd already received a 25K bonus a year ago.

I told the agent that my girlfriend signed up for the 10k bonus (5k upfront and 1k monthly) on the same day that I did and has been receiving miles. And, of course, that many people receive multiple bonuses, that MCI called me with the miles offer, and that it was the reason I switched back to MCI!

The agent said she'd put in a request and signed me up for 5 miles per dollar. I'm supposed to call in 2-3 weeks to see if anyone has added notation to my record about whether I'd get my bonus miles.

Hopefully, I'll get some MCI miles posted in time for the AA 20k partner promotion.
I've had good luck with MCI before with mileage promotions that won me back. So, I'm not ready to abandon MCI, yet. But I'll start looking around for an ATT cash offer.

Old May 30, 2001, 12:56 pm

Thats sounds familiar, I was promised so many times that they would "put a request in" and to call back. I hope they follow thru for you as they never did for me.
Old May 30, 2001, 11:05 pm
anr

I was now told that I have had five previous accounts that earned miles on the same AAdvantage number and that you can only earn once per number. This is after the last inquiry resulted in me being told I had to have the calling card to get the miles. Definitly inconsistent customer service reps. Seems like I wasted 3 months with MCI. It also appears that you need to give different airline programs to get the mileage.

We'll have to see what my last email to them gets me since I started throwing out names...he said she said...

Adam
Old May 31, 2001, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Originally posted by The Mile Dog:
Thanks for the e-mails, wow seems a lot of problems with MCI. Anyone else want to join in?
Yes, I signed up for the ClickRewards bonus (2,000 ClickRewards) with MCI in March. So far, all I've received is 500, and it was tough going squeezing that out. Now see what MCI just emailed me:
Dear MCI WorldCom Customer:

This email is to notify you of a change in the MCI WorldCom benefit
program in which you are enrolled.

After November 30th, the ClickRewards.com/MCI WorldCom program and
its additional benefit of 3 ClickMiles for every $1 spent on MCI services
will expire.

Although the ClickRewards.com/MCI WorldCom program in which you enrolled
will no longer be available, you will remain a valued MCI customer
and will retain your current MCI service and great low rates.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any questions,
please feel free to email us via your Online Account Manager at
www.mci.com/service or call Customer Service at 888-457-1393.

Sincerely,
MCI WorldCom Online Customer Service

Isn't that a pip! AT&T, here I come!
Old Jun 3, 2001, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Starwood Platinum
A few months ago, I switched to MCI on the promise of 25,000 Delta Skymiles. 3 months passed and nothing happened. So, I switched to AT&T. I kept getting bills from MCI for 3 months! Luckily I had documentation - I sent emails from MCI's website with the info on the "Subject" line. I threatened to file a complaint with the FCC. I still ket getting the bills. I finally got tired and paid the fake bill just to get rid of this problem.

Last week another telemaketer called me with another offer from MCI. I asked him to send me the offer in writing - notarized http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
He hung up http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

I'll never EVER have anything to do with MCI for the rest of my life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.