Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Entry requirements for Peru (vaccination, testing?)

Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Is Peru relatively straightforward to enter in the covid era? PCR or other test? Any quarantine for fully vaccinated visitors?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Is Peru relatively straightforward to enter in the covid era? PCR or other test? Any quarantine for fully vaccinated visitors?
I did some research and as of Sept 2021, if you have double vax you dont need a negative test or quarantine.

If you dont have vaccine x2, you need to have a negative PCR(antigen isn't allowed anymore). Not sure on quarantine for non vaccinated people!

Colombia doesn't test or require vaccine, and Panama is the same as Peru. Either have vaccine or need negative test.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I did some research and as of Sept 2021, if you have double vax you dont need a negative test or quarantine.

If you dont have vaccine x2, you need to have a negative PCR(antigen isn't allowed anymore). Not sure on quarantine for non vaccinated people!

Colombia doesn't test or require vaccine, and Panama is the same as Peru. Either have vaccine or need negative test.
IATA still says you need PCR test 72 hours prior to departure. That is what airlines use so I would err on side of caution and get the test.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by olouie
IATA still says you need PCR test 72 hours prior to departure. That is what airlines use so I would err on side of caution and get the test.
IATA says OR for Vaccinated/PCR Test, not both. See below point 3.

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/cov...ation-tracker/

Old Sep 23, 2021, 7:38 am

Super strange here is what I get.

Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:34 am

Super strange here is what I get.

hmm the link I used takes me directly to to the iata website from government canada travel advisories.

heres another link where it states you need one or the other :

https://www.traveloffpath.com/peru-c...for-travelers/

COVID-19 Testing Entry Requirements

A negative COVID-19 PCR test (taken with 72 hours of travel) is required for entry. Be aware, prior to September 2021, Peru was also accepting 24-hour antigen tests but has removed that type of test completely.

Vaccination Exemption:

If a traveler has proof of being fully vaccinated, they are exempt from PCR testing

still its odd how it shows up on your end. Can you link me your website?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:40 am

Another link directly on Lima airport website :

https://www.lima-airport.com/eng/for...rival-protocol

Disembarkation

• In international flights to enter Peruvian territory the passengers must present the airline, in their country of origin:
    • Peruvians, resident foreigners and non-resident foreigners must have a negative molecular test (PCR) within the last 72 hours if they are not protected with two doses of vaccine
Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still seems like a smart idea to get a PCR test within 72 hours, regardless of vaccination status. Given the website ambiguity and frequently-changing local govt policies, it would be foolish to book such a long trip and then be turned away by the airline or immigration authorities for whatever reason.

(Also, you wouldn't want to be asymptomatic/presymptomatic and positive for Covid and not find out until you were already in Peru! Better to find out in advance and just postpone your trip)
Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:56 am

Yup... At this point I have to agree. You have to get Antigen test to get into USA anways.

Worth it for us Canadians to pay extra to get PCR test instead and having peace of mind, being covered for both USA and connecting onto Peru/Panama. The 72 hour limit should cover the 24 hours it takes to get results for the test and get to final destination from Canada->USA->South America; even with an overnight in US.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:14 pm

I was using https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php (which is linked from https://www.iata.org/en/youandiata/travelers/health/)
Very confusing as Peru's US embassy website was updated recently and only mentions the PCR testing (removed the antigen) as well.
I'll prob get the PCR test anyways at this point since airlines and peru aren't known for being super on top of these changes.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SKYEG
IATA says OR for Vaccinated/PCR Test, not both. See below point 3.

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/cov...ation-tracker/

As of last Sunday night Peru needs Both a molecular RT-PCR test AND double vaccination. It was previously either / or. It may change again but I crossed the border this week and both certificates were checked at check-in by the airline and by the border police on arrival.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by tinkicker
As of last Sunday night Peru needs Both a molecular RT-PCR test AND double vaccination. It was previously either / or. It may change again but I crossed the border this week and both certificates were checked at check-in by the airline and by the border police on arrival.
Good to know! Thanks for the heads up. I wonder how many travellers are getting screwed due to inconsistent info... Flyertalk saves the day again
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tinkicker
I just arrived and its only a PCR test which can be a rapid molecular one. I did the abbot and had my result in 10 minutes. Too easy. A vaccination is only recommended but not required. All people regardless of vaxx status have to provide a negative molecular test result. This could obviously change in a week. When I booked this trip after September 7th announcement, I only needed to show the vaxx card and wouldnt need to test. Then the September 20th announcement happened and I had to test in the end. If things keep getting worse, itll be back to double masks AND shield and both test and vaxx required
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
I just arrived and its only a PCR test which can be a rapid molecular one. I did the abbot and had my result in 10 minutes. Too easy. A vaccination is only recommended but not required. All people regardless of vaxx status have to provide a negative molecular test result. This could obviously change in a week. When I booked this trip after September 7th announcement, I only needed to show the vaxx card and wouldnt need to test. Then the September 20th announcement happened and I had to test in the end. If things keep getting worse, itll be back to double masks AND shield and both test and vaxx required
Were the Abbott tests the ones from emed? Those aren't PCR/molecular tests right? Or do they have something else for that?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Were the Abbott tests the ones from emed? Those aren't PCR/molecular tests right? Or do they have something else for that?

The Abbott/eMed tests are rapid antigen. Works to fly into the USA on a commercial flight. But might not work for another country....check entry requirements carefully!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.