Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Entry requirements for Peru (vaccination, testing?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry requirements for Peru (vaccination, testing?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The Abbott/eMed tests are rapid antigen. Works to fly into the USA on a commercial flight. But might not work for another country....check entry requirements carefully!
the Abbott ID is a rapid molecular. I’ve done these several times. The binax now in contrast is a rapid antigen. The Abbott ID now is a NAAT and falls within the RT-PCR umbrella. You can also reference the Peruvian government website and they state that it just needs to be a molecular test. It is easier though for other websites to just say PCR because then it doesn’t lead to any confusion with someone doing a rapid antigen test instead of the rapid molecular. I got into Peru no problem this past week with my Abbott and I have the BINAX NOW antigen kit with me to do via telehealth to get back into the US since either type is accepted. Attached is how my clinic documented the test and it even states molecular explicitly.

Just a heads up though, every two weeks the Peruvian government updates restrictions and the next update is October 3. They may very well require you to be vaccinated and tested if they decide. The September 7th update was what I had hoped for which allowed anyone vaccinated to avoid the rest but the September 20th undid that.

Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:23 pm

Thanks. The back and forth changes every 2 weeks are so confusing and do little to improve public safety except make work for government officials. Hopefully they will start just doing vaccination or testing like many other countries and keep it there for a while.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
the Abbott ID is a rapid molecular. I’ve done these several times. The binax now in contrast is a rapid antigen. The Abbott ID now is a NAAT and falls within the RT-PCR umbrella.
This sounds very confusing. BOTH of the above tests are made by Abbott. So, let's clarify:

Abbott ID NOW - point-of-care rapid molecular test (NAAT) - sample collected by a healthcare professional at a facility with the equipment on-site to process the sample

Abbott BINAX NOW - rapid antigen test - self-administered - has two varieties:
a) self-test kit - for personal use only; NOT accepted for commercial air travel travel
b) video-supervised self-test eMed/NAVICA kit - authorized by CDC for commercial air travel
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I hope things get better and next update it's either show vaccine proof or negative test, not both
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I hope things get better and next update it's either show vaccine proof or negative test, not both
Its just the negative test right now (according to the sites).
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Its just the negative test right now (according to the sites).
Ah yes, hopefully back to being okay with just vaccinated status. Rapid RT-PCR Test costs $200 here to get to Peru lol. expensive
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:20 pm

Looks like back to vaccine or test.
  •  
    • Peruvians, resident foreigners, and non-resident foreigners entering Peruvian national territory, regardless of their country of origin, must present proof of vaccination or a molecular test (within 72 hours) with a negative result prior to boarding an incoming flight to Peru, in accordance with current health regulations. Proof of vaccination is not required. Children under the age of 12 can present a certificate of health issued by a medical doctor in lieu of a negative test. All passengers must also complete an affidavit of health (found here: https://e-notificacion.migraciones.gob.pe/dj-salud/). These requirements may change, so we advise you to contact your airline days prior your flight to gather the proper documentation and regularly consult the airport website for the latest guidance: https://www.lima-airport.com/eng/for...rival-protocol.

https://pe.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:34 pm

Its frustrating for Canadians as it take 24-48 hours to receive results for $200 Rapid RT-PCR(although often cases sooner, but not guaranteed). We have to connect in USA, where it's only a $40 Antigen test to enter(15 minutes for results!!!).

USA has free tests at Walgreens for everyone lol.

But for Peru, needing RT-PCR is making it difficult and cutting it quite close, as the earliest I can take the test is 950AM the day before my flight out of Canada into the USA, so there's a chance I might not receive it before I fly out the next day. The labs also only open until 3-5 pm, which is earlier than my 6PM departure time to Peru for the 72 hours. So I can't go get tested two days before my US flight, as it will be past72 hrs before the Peru departure.

I'm still going to take the RT-PCR but now I need to pay for Antigen too for added extra safety as I can get into the USA at least with it, and receive my PCR tests later in time for my Peru flight the next night.

The most annoying part is the constant switching. If Peru stops going back and forth, I would just take the Antigen. But I can't take that risk... A bit frustrating knowing that I have to test and spend on both Antigen/RT-PCR testing for peace of mind but a small price to pay I guess for the "privilege" of traveling INTL in this climate. Kind of pointless to be full vaxxed no? Why keep switching between fully vaxxed or negative text and fully vaxxed and negative test? Stupid imo. At least Canada has required both from the start, and will probably gradually lift the testing. Back and forth makes no sense.

Last edited by SKYEG; Oct 4, 2021 at 9:43 pm
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Kind of pointless to be full vaxxed no?
Going OMNI here but the breakthrough cases are a reality.
So, I can see how fully vaxxed plus test might be a sensible requirement.
Constant flux of requirements is going to be the norm for a while (not only to LIM). Nothing we can do about that.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Going OMNI here but the breakthrough cases are a reality.
So, I can see how fully vaxxed plus test might be a sensible requirement.
Constant flux of requirements is going to be the norm for a while (not only to LIM). Nothing we can do about that.
I don't question the validity - it's just irresponsible as a govt to keep switching their policies and confusing people. It should have always been both required, not back and forth every 2 weeks. Plus, an Antigen test taken two hours before flight at airport would have more accurate current results than a PCR taken 72 hours prior wherever(you could easily have contracted covid after testing)... but I won't go there.

The fact remains that you should take a RT-PCR regardless of what Peru says as they can't make up their mind.
Deckter likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:47 pm

I don't question the validity - it's just irresponsible as a govt to keep switching their policies and confusing people. It should have always been both required, not back and forth every 2 weeks. Plus, an Antigen test taken two hours before flight at airport would have more accurate current results than a PCR taken 72 hours prior wherever(you could easily have contracted covid after testing)... but I won't go there.

The fact remains that you should take a RT-PCR regardless of what Peru says as they can't make up their mind.
1000% this. My friend arrived there when it was supposed to be vaccine OR testing and they wouldn't let him in without seeing both. Luckily he decided to get the test done out of caution, but he said they didn't really appear to keep the border agents updated on the frequent changes so they just kind of ask for both and hassle you if you dont have it.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
We arrived on Oct 3. Had the PCR test results. That and the attestation was all the seemed interested in seeing. Overall, the entry was easy, but we arrived at 6 am, which seemed like a slow time.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:30 pm

Entered on Oct 10th. Just took a quick look at the forms and PCR tests and that was it.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Arrived early morning Oct 6 and entry was swift with attestation form and neg test. I had paid $90 for the RT-PCR near SFO but some people I met had just taken a free PCR test and had no problem.

First trip to Peru and had a great time.
SKYEG, olouie and DCAhome like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:11 pm

other test other than RT-PCR now allowed including the free NAAT one at walgreens.

Passengers must have a negative COVID-19 NAAT test result issued at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point. Tests accepted are CRISPR, HDA, LAMP, LampORE, MPOCT, NAAT, NEAR, NGS, PCR, RTLamp, RT-PCR, RealTimeRTPCR, SDA, TMA, TRC, WGS, Orf1abgenedetection, Egenedetection, Ngenedetection, Rdrpgenedetection and Sgenedetection.
olouie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.