Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Hotel Taxes

Hotel Taxes

Old Feb 17, 20, 6:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,371
Hotel Taxes

Peruvian hotel taxes.

I have several reservations through Marriott. There is a 10% tax. And there is an additional 18% tax for Peruvian residents and for non-residents who have been in Peru for 60 consecutive days (per the Marriott site).

My property states that my reservation cost does not include 18% for "some extras just in case you will have". Is this a scam (I dislike that word) to collect 18% that the property is not otherwise entitled?

For a point of reference, I tried a reservation through IHG, and there is a reference to 10% & 18% (not to mention another 10% service charge). No mention of the 18% only being for Peruvian residents/60 consecutive days.

So, which is it?

Many thanks!
lamphs is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Posts: 2,620
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
Peruvian hotel taxes.

I have several reservations through Marriott. There is a 10% tax. And there is an additional 18% tax for Peruvian residents and for non-residents who have been in Peru for 60 consecutive days (per the Marriott site).

My property states that my reservation cost does not include 18% for "some extras just in case you will have". Is this a scam (I dislike that word) to collect 18% that the property is not otherwise entitled?

For a point of reference, I tried a reservation through IHG, and there is a reference to 10% & 18% (not to mention another 10% service charge). No mention of the 18% only being for Peruvian residents/60 consecutive days.

So, which is it?

Many thanks!
TripAdvisor is a much better resource when it comes to country specific travel advice in their forums. Just be careful about reviews and information given by people with only a few posts.

currently in Peru. 10% service tax; plus 18% if Peruvian or staying longer than 60 days.
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by tkelvin69; Mar 17, 20 at 9:58 am
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 6:33 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: YYZ
Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
My property states that my reservation cost does not include 18% for "some extras just in case you will have". Is this a scam (I dislike that word) to collect 18% that the property is not otherwise entitled?
I'm speculating a bit here because my recent experience is more with Chile than with Peru, but as I recall both countries handle this issue in the same way. They're not trying to scam you.

Tourists are exempt from VAT on hotel rooms in both countries. Accordingly, most international websites like hotels.com, etc., will quote a VAT-less price. If nothing else, it makes the price look more appealing. In Chile (and, I think, Peru) you will have to provide your passport and tourist card (the piece of paper they give you when you pass through entry immigration at the airport) at check-in to qualify for the VAT-exempt price. If you don't provide it, they'll charge VAT.

However, the VAT exemption does not apply to "extras" like meals and bar charges. I think that's what they're trying to say, in a very clumsy way, that although you won't be paying 18% VAT on your hotel room, you will pay it on any additional charges.

Clear as mud?
Siempre Viajando is offline  
Old Feb 22, 20, 10:57 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,371
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
I'm speculating a bit here because my recent experience is more with Chile than with Peru, but as I recall both countries handle this issue in the same way. They're not trying to scam you.

Tourists are exempt from VAT on hotel rooms in both countries. Accordingly, most international websites like hotels.com, etc., will quote a VAT-less price. If nothing else, it makes the price look more appealing. In Chile (and, I think, Peru) you will have to provide your passport and tourist card (the piece of paper they give you when you pass through entry immigration at the airport) at check-in to qualify for the VAT-exempt price. If you don't provide it, they'll charge VAT.

However, the VAT exemption does not apply to "extras" like meals and bar charges. I think that's what they're trying to say, in a very clumsy way, that although you won't be paying 18% VAT on your hotel room, you will pay it on any additional charges.

Clear as mud?
Thank you for the clarification. I'll report back after my trip. Many thanks!
lamphs is offline  
Old Sep 30, 21, 8:37 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PHX
Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Posts: 3,486
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
Thank you for the clarification. I'll report back after my trip. Many thanks!
Any update? JW Marriott in Lima shows $160 USD but tacks on another $30ish USD in that extra tax. Does it get removed on request at checkin?

Thanks
SKYEG is offline  
Old Oct 3, 21, 5:45 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,371
Originally Posted by SKYEG View Post
Any update? JW Marriott in Lima shows $160 USD but tacks on another $30ish USD in that extra tax. Does it get removed on request at checkin?

Thanks
Unfortunately the trip did not occur. Hopefully early 2022...
lamphs is offline  
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:20 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: AA, Delta, SPG, Aeroplan, Airmiles
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
Unfortunately the trip did not occur. Hopefully early 2022...
It's more than early 2022...how was your trip?
lastcallfordeparture is offline  
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:46 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,371
Originally Posted by lastcallfordeparture View Post
It's more than early 2022...how was your trip?

Mixed initial results, but at the end no VAT. Aloft Miraflores was proactive about mentioning no VAT when I checked in. LC Palacio del Inka Cusco was not proactive and the front desk agent was quite perplexed when I mentioned being exempt. Eventually it worked out, but only after she checked with a manager. I thought the whole interaction odd as the property was quite full with Europeans and North Americans, but she acted as if it was the first time she had ever heard of it.

Recommendation-raise the issue at check-in; not checkout.
lamphs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread