FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Taxes
Thread: Hotel Taxes
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:33 pm
Siempre Viajando

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by lamphs
My property states that my reservation cost does not include 18% for "some extras just in case you will have". Is this a scam (I dislike that word) to collect 18% that the property is not otherwise entitled?
I'm speculating a bit here because my recent experience is more with Chile than with Peru, but as I recall both countries handle this issue in the same way. They're not trying to scam you.

Tourists are exempt from VAT on hotel rooms in both countries. Accordingly, most international websites like hotels.com, etc., will quote a VAT-less price. If nothing else, it makes the price look more appealing. In Chile (and, I think, Peru) you will have to provide your passport and tourist card (the piece of paper they give you when you pass through entry immigration at the airport) at check-in to qualify for the VAT-exempt price. If you don't provide it, they'll charge VAT.

However, the VAT exemption does not apply to "extras" like meals and bar charges. I think that's what they're trying to say, in a very clumsy way, that although you won't be paying 18% VAT on your hotel room, you will pay it on any additional charges.

Clear as mud?