Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Two week vacation to Peru -- Looking for dining recommendations

Old May 17, 18, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM

We will be in Lima, Iquitos, Cusco, Ica and Paracas.

So far, we have decided on:

La Mar in Lima
Astrid y Gaston (got reservations)

Looking for some good lechon option? Is there anything we else we need to try or should try?

Any other suggestions/recommendation? We eat everything and anything !!

Thanks
Old May 18, 18, 6:22 pm

I would try to connect to some locals as a lot of new restaurants have opened in the last 12 months in the Miraflores and Barranco area. If you have any preferences I can contact some friends living there and see what they suggest. Here are the places we frequent when visiting.

Miraflores:
Ache - Peruvian/Japanese fusion attached to the Hilton
La Lucha in Kenedey Park
AmarDeLima - if you have someone that can get you into the country club
Danica - Peruvian/Italian fusion

In Cusco:
Limo - Peruvian/Japanese fusion
La Valeriana
Cicciolina
Have a drink in the courtyard of Belmond Hotel Monasterio
Chicha por Gaston Acurio was average
Old May 18, 18, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
We will be in Lima, Iquitos, Cusco, Ica and Paracas.

So far, we have decided on:

La Mar in Lima
Astrid y Gaston (got reservations)

Looking for some good lechon option? Is there anything we else we need to try or should try?

Any other suggestions/recommendation? We eat everything and anything !!

Thanks
Best for seafood in Lima, in my view, is Sonia (Chorrillos, on the border with Barranco). Check out their website for details. No restaurant sign, you have to ring at the door to enter. Wonderful food, cool people, great ambiance, blind pianist entertains.
Old May 23, 18, 3:02 pm

In Cusco, we really loved MAP Cafe. We also did the cooking class there. That was a lot of fun and we left completely stuffed.

Good luck in Iquitos - honestly we couldn't get out of there fast enough. We did dine at a little French cafe along the water that was decent. Sorry, I can't remember the name.

Lima - I loved Astrid y Gaston - which I see you already have reservations at. We also went to Central which I thought was good, but not as spectacular as it is made out to be.
Old May 24, 18, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
I like La Mar a lot but will do a lot more visits to Punto Azul in Miraflores, which has good portion sizes on the ceviches and of course they're always fresh. Their ceviche oriental (del atun) is my fave. Also hard to pass up the dulce de leche cake for dessert, with prices about half where they are at La Mar. Very popular, though.

La Lucha and to a lesser extent Republica around Parque Kennedy are great with the sangucheria bit, which is arguably a thing in itself. Another "thing" I'll always hit is a roast chicken place, ideally a windowside seat at Pardo's in Larcomar. Like Punto Azul it's inexpensive enough that it's hard to believe it can be as good as it is.

There's also that place in the old-looking house over the water (can't miss it...there's only one like it) that's not cheap but has a really extensive selection of pisco to try.

With Iquitos I liked just about everything at Dawn on the Amazon and most things at the "Texas" place. Thick drinking chocolate and paiche (river fish) were among the standouts. There were also roast-chicken places as fallbacks.
Old May 29, 18, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Iquitos -- We are coming in and going straight to Tree House Lodge. We will spend three days there and then head straight out. All meals included.

Lima -- will keep an eye out for roast chicken places. Any ideas for Lechon?

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 18, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Need recommendations for a laundry service around the Courtyard in Miraflores? Any casa de cambios in that area?

thanks
Old Jun 6, 18, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Laundry services are everywhere. If you don't want to use the money changers on the street, there is a reliable casa de cambio next to Falabella (Kennedy Park).

You didn't say you were going to Machu Picchu, but I assume you are. IMO, the best restaurant in Aguas Calientes is Indio Feliz. Additional recommendations for Lima would be Central and Maido. If you want roast chicken, I prefer Pardos and there is one in every neighborhood. For Cusco, I just discovered Kion (Chinese/Peruvian fushion) and it's great.
Old Jan 16, 19, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I lived in Peru in the 1970's and remember going with my parents to La Granja Azul which was on the outskirts of Greater Lima.
Is it still a thing? It was a great place to spend the day when Lima was cold and foggy.
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
I lived in Peru in the 1970's and remember going with my parents to La Granja Azul which was on the outskirts of Greater Lima.
Is it still a thing? It was a great place to spend the day when Lima was cold and foggy.
Still there, same concept: chicken, more chicken, and still more chicken. And french fries.
Old Feb 8, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Granja Azul is still a thing - a bit out of the way in Ate though. Same concept as always.

A couple of places worth considering in Barranco:

- Isolina (down home Peruvian cooking - get reservations);
- Amoramar (kind of a similar concept to La Mar, but fewer tourists as it is in Barranco); and
- Maduco (Italian - ask for Stefano, the owner - hole in the wall in Barranco right off the main square).

Bring your stretchy pants. You will be putting on weight.

Search this Thread