Huaraz

Old Aug 11, 16, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Huaraz

I'm planning a trip to Huaraz soon. I currently live in Lima so I'll most likely take a bus there. I'm a bit worried about altitude sickness however. Not so much in the town itself but more about the hike to the lakes.

I'd like to know what else there is to do aside from just the hikes! Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 16, 2:29 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
If you are worried about altitude sickness you could ask your doctor for a prescription for Diamox (generic: acetazolamide). You should begin taking it about 48 hours before ascent.

Once you get to altitude you should take an easy pace for at least a day, maybe two. then start getting active and hiking.

or, just get high on coca (tea or leaves) like everyone else! :P
Old Aug 13, 16, 10:47 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Hikes, lagoons, and the Huascaran national park are the main points. But there are some archeological sites too. Wilcawain is near Huaraz city, but it's a short visit.

Chavin de Huantar is a must. It's a beautiful trip where you cross the "cordillera blanca", White mountains, and you enter "Callejon de Conchucos", a paralell valley where the Chavin temple is located. It's a full day trip. And yes, since you cross the cordillera thru a tunnel, you go thru higher roads, higher than Huaraz, but it's just a couple of hours or less (4500mt aprox).

And of course a visit to Yungay is another must. An important place in (tragic) history, the city covered by a huge avalanche in 1970.

Huaraz and "Callejon de Huaylas" is one of my favorite places in Peru
Old Oct 20, 16, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Brian5 View Post
I'm planning a trip to Huaraz soon. I currently live in Lima so I'll most likely take a bus there. I'm a bit worried about altitude sickness however. Not so much in the town itself but more about the hike to the lakes.

I'd like to know what else there is to do aside from just the hikes! Thanks.
If you have the flexibility to go there a few days early, this will be very helpful. Spend a day or two in Huaraz and walk around, take a day trip to places like Yungay. Being at 10,000 feet for a few days will help make the hiking to higher altitudes a little easier.

Search this Thread