Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Mountain Climbing in Peru - advice

Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

After climbing Mont Blanc last year, my wife and I are looking to take on climbing a higher mountain 16K+ feet.

We have 10 days in May and Peru seems to be one of the few places with such peaks that are able to be climbed safely at that time.

I've been doing some on-line research but there really aren't that many companies I could find that do such guided climbs of peaks such as Ausangante

I was wondering if anyone on these forums had such experience with any companies there or advice on what peak to climb. We don't have any technical experience with actual rock/ice climbing, so looking for a climb with scrambling, crampons or basic rope work that could be done in our time span taking into account we have to fly from and back to new york.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by babern38
After climbing Mont Blanc last year, my wife and I are looking to take on climbing a higher mountain 16K+ feet.

We have 10 days in May and Peru seems to be one of the few places with such peaks that are able to be climbed safely at that time.

I've been doing some on-line research but there really aren't that many companies I could find that do such guided climbs of peaks such as Ausangante

I was wondering if anyone on these forums had such experience with any companies there or advice on what peak to climb. We don't have any technical experience with actual rock/ice climbing, so looking for a climb with scrambling, crampons or basic rope work that could be done in our time span taking into account we have to fly from and back to new york.
My understanding is that the best climbing area is the Cordilerra Blanca region, which has many non- or less-technical mountains. I dont know anything about the companies but you might check pyramid adventures, monttrek.com, or Pony Expeditions.

Also check out El Misti and Chachani mountains in/around Arequipa. These also have reputations as being at the low end of the scale for technical climbs. You might contact zarateadventures.com
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by babern38

Explorandes (http://explorandes.com/en/) is a pretty decent guide service. They have an office in Huaraz and guide trips in the Blanca and Huayhuash areas. You can rent gear there too.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Just stumbling across this thread now. You might want to try contacting some folks in Peru directly. I'd recommend Arturo Carlos Muoa Guillen at Carlitos Tours. Email address is [email protected]

Carlos is a good guy and I found him trustworthy and true to his word. He is busy though so his replies to emails only come when he's not out with customers. Expect a few delays with email comms. He told me that he had climbed Ampato a few times. That's a 6000m peak so I'm sure he's got some experience with 5000m peaks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.