Reload this Page >

Hiram Bingham Train To MP

Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:12 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

I've already booked the Andean Explorer from Puno to Cusco and now only have the MP train to book. Were thinking of booking Hiram Bingham for the three of us. Can anyone who has been on it let me know about there experience? I know there are cheaper options, but I'm really only concerned if people who have been on the Hiram Bingham thought they got their moneys worth going with a full all inclusive service.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:14 am

I have not taken the Hiram Bingham. I've heard from other tourists that it wasn't worth it. They enjoyed the experience, but they didn't think the experience was worth the price of the ticket. When talking to friends that live in Peru they seem to have really enjoyed it (but they've gone to MP 4-6 times). There are several videos on YouTube showing the experience and TripAdvisor reviews.

I've done two round trips with the vista dome and have always enjoyed that experience. I don't think there is any chance you will feel you got your money's worth on the HB. If you aren't concerned about money go for it... I think it will add to the experience and will be memorable, but if you are already worried about getting your money's worth out of the experience you will be thinking about that in the back of your mind the whole trip.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by seat38a
I know there are cheaper options, but I'm really only concerned if people who have been on the Hiram Bingham thought they got their moneys worth going with a full all inclusive service.
This is really a YMMV question that only you can answer. The Belmond HB wagons are without doubt very nice and the service excellent. For folks used to Mickey D's, Holiday Inn and Delta, the HB is like Morton's, the Four Seasons and Etihad. But for those used to the Four Seasons and Etihad, well, it might not be so remarkable.

If you do either PeruRails Belmond HB (or IncaRail's Presidential, preferred) I would do it only on the way to MP. The magic and excitement of seeing the new geography and scenery is often much diminished on the return leg. This happened not just for me but for pretty much everyone else I saw on my train (my group and others going back) - everyone was much more interested in sleeping or editing photos than looking out the windows and getting their "free" drink on.

Last edited by Section 107; Jul 18, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by Section 107
This is really a YMMV question that only you can answer.
I completely agree.

Originally Posted by Section 107
If you do either PeruRails Belmond HB (or IncaRail's Presidential, preferred) I would do it only on the way to MP.
I would do the opposite. We took the VistaDome train to MP and the HB back. I much preferred being able to take advantage of the open bar on the way back to Cusco where I was going to sleep for the night. I wouldn't have wanted to have any drinks on the way to MP, as we had some light hiking planned for our first day. We saw the sights on the way, so it was not an issue to travel back to Cusco at night.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
I completely agree.

I would do the opposite. We took the VistaDome train to MP and the HB back. I much preferred being able to take advantage of the open bar on the way back to Cusco where I was going to sleep for the night. I wouldn't have wanted to have any drinks on the way to MP, as we had some light hiking planned for our first day. We saw the sights on the way, so it was not an issue to travel back to Cusco at night.
You make an excellent point. We took the train roundtrip from Ollantaytambo and for such a short trip no, it would not be worth it at all. But I suppose if we had gone from Cusco we might well have done it the same as you did.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Every time I've come back I fall asleep anyways - could be riding a mule, no difference to me on the way back :-p
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:56 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Thanks all for your suggestions. We decided on the Hiram Bingham roundtrip. Just booked it today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.