Reload this Page >

Hotels In Puno Hacienda Puno Or Sonesta Posadas

Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:08 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

I have two reservations in Puno for September. Hotel Hacienda is right in the center of town and Sonesta Posada is little out of the city but on the lake and more upscale than Hotel Hacienda. Anyone been to either hotels? How is Puno city like? Is it worth staying in the center of town?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:24 am

Is there a reason you picked Puno over Cusco?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Is there a reason you picked Puno over Cusco?
Because Puno has Lake Titicaca and Cusco doesn't.
They are two completely different places and I'm going to both. I'm asking about Puno for my visit to Lake Titicaca.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
There's not a lot in downtown Puno. The whole point of going there obviously is the lake. When I was there in May we did Uros but skipped Taquile for a variety of reasons.

I stayed at Tierra Viva Puno Plaza. It was perfectly adequate and I'd recommend it. It's very centrally-located (a block from Plaza de Armas and the Cathedral) and it's very easy to walk around to see what (relatively little) there is to see in Puno. I'd recommend a Superior room vs a normal one; the price difference is marginal but the room is noticeably larger thus more comfortable. Breakfast is included and again, it's perfectly adequate.

I had dinner at Balcones de Puno - not a bad place at all and price was OK.

Downtown Puno basically consists of a couple of pedestrian streets where all the tourists hang out. If you go just one more block in any direction though, you'll get to see where the locals hang out. I made it to the central Mercado in my wanderings and found it an interesting place.

For my tour to Uros I asked the front desk to arrange something for me. We paid I think, $35 USD per person, and for that we were picked up then taken to the port where we boarded our boat to the islands. After the tour we were dropped off at the hotel.

If you're feeling a touch more adventurous, then make your own way to the port. From downtown you could walk but realistically it's a taxi ride (or a Tuk Tuk - they're everywhere in Puno). At the port you can buy a ticket for Uros for a mere S./15 per person. (It's actually S./10 for the boat ride and another S./5 to enter the islands.)

I enjoyed the tour of Uros. It was short but quite pleasant. I think we left the hotel around 10h00 and we were back before 13h00.

To do Taquile requires a little more planning. Most tours bundle Uros & Taquile so you leave before 06h00 and return after 17h00. Taquile also requires climbing a bunch of stairs (400?) which at 3900m was too much of a challenge for us. YMMV on this obviously. But I live in the lowlands - 76m above sea level so going somewhere where there's about 40% less oxygen means I move 40% slower and do about 40% less. Obviously a lot of people do go to Taquile and have a grand old time so do what's right for you.

If you have 2 nights or more in Puno you can go to Bolivia. (I did not go but wanted to.) This involves driving for a few hours but you'll get to see a few sites in and around Juli I think, and you should be able to make it to Tiwanaku before heading back. There are ways to take hydrofoils on the lake too but I think the majority of these start their run from the Bolivan side of the lake.

Let me know if you'd like more info. In the meantime, some random shots of Puno:
Attached Images           

Last edited by RCyyz; Jul 25, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the info RCyyz! The most informative info I have gotten so far. Did you fly in? If so who did you use to get from the Airport to Puno?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
Thank you for the info RCyyz! The most informative info I have gotten so far. Did you fly in? If so who did you use to get from the Airport to Puno?
If, as I assume, you're going to Cusco after that, take the train if you can (doesn't go every day). When reaching Juliaca, go to the last car (balcony) and watch out as the train is going slowly through the market street. Amazing experience...

Last edited by KLouis; Jul 31, 2016 at 5:45 am
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
If, as I assume, you're going to Cusco after that, take the train if you can (doesn't go every day). When reaching Juliaca, go to the last car (balcony) and watch out as the train is going slowly through the market street. Amazing experience...
Already booked on the Andean Explorer for Cusco. We are flying into Juliaca from Lima.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:48 pm

We drove from Colca Canyon to Puno.

My full itinerary in Peru:

Day 0 - Arrive Lima - overnight @ 4Points Sheraton Miraflores
Day 1 - Explore LIM - back to the 4Points
Day 2 - Fly to AQP - stay @ Tierra Viva AQP - explore AQP
Day 3 - Drive to Colca Canyon - Colca Lodge
Day 4 - Drive to Puno - Tierra Viva Puno
Day 5 - Explore Puno - back to the Tierra Viva
Day 6 - Take taxi to JUL, fly to CUZ, drive to Urubamba / explore along the way, stay @ Tambo del Inka
Day 7 - take the train to Macchu Pichu, then back to Tambo del Inka
Day 8 - drive to Palacio del Inka in CUZ, explore the area
Day 9 - explore area around CUZ, back to Palacio del Inka
Day 10 - Fly CUZ-LIM-home!

If I did it again, I'd try to take an extra day at Colca Lodge because it's a nice play and I'd like to explore the area a little more. I'd also take another day at Tambo del Inka because it's such a nice property and it'd be nice to explore Urubamba a little bit.

On Day 6 we just got the front desk to arrange a taxi for us from the Tierra Viva Puno to the airport in JUL. It took about an hour I think but the drive was pleasant enough. I wouldn't call it a picturesque drive but it was OK and certainly safe enough. The airport in JUL is tiny - 2 gates! The "lounge" is a small room that was way too hot to stay in (too much sun heating things up) but it had a fridge with cold drinks and a few trays of snacks such as granola bars etc. If you're not flying in biz, then Priority Pass will get you + a guest into the lounge.

I can't remember how much the taxi from Puno to the airport was, but it was a fair price. If you google taxis from JUL to Puno you'll find a bunch with prices listed so you can get a sense of what the going rate is.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz
We drove from Colca Canyon to Puno.

My full itinerary in Peru:

Day 0 - Arrive Lima - overnight @ 4Points Sheraton Miraflores
Day 1 - Explore LIM - back to the 4Points
Day 2 - Fly to AQP - stay @ Tierra Viva AQP - explore AQP
Day 3 - Drive to Colca Canyon - Colca Lodge
Day 4 - Drive to Puno - Tierra Viva Puno
Day 5 - Explore Puno - back to the Tierra Viva
Day 6 - Take taxi to JUL, fly to CUZ, drive to Urubamba / explore along the way, stay @ Tambo del Inka
Day 7 - take the train to Macchu Pichu, then back to Tambo del Inka
Day 8 - drive to Palacio del Inka in CUZ, explore the area
Day 9 - explore area around CUZ, back to Palacio del Inka
Day 10 - Fly CUZ-LIM-home!

If I did it again, I'd try to take an extra day at Colca Lodge because it's a nice play and I'd like to explore the area a little more. I'd also take another day at Tambo del Inka because it's such a nice property and it'd be nice to explore Urubamba a little bit.

On Day 6 we just got the front desk to arrange a taxi for us from the Tierra Viva Puno to the airport in JUL. It took about an hour I think but the drive was pleasant enough. I wouldn't call it a picturesque drive but it was OK and certainly safe enough. The airport in JUL is tiny - 2 gates! The "lounge" is a small room that was way too hot to stay in (too much sun heating things up) but it had a fridge with cold drinks and a few trays of snacks such as granola bars etc. If you're not flying in biz, then Priority Pass will get you + a guest into the lounge.

I can't remember how much the taxi from Puno to the airport was, but it was a fair price. If you google taxis from JUL to Puno you'll find a bunch with prices listed so you can get a sense of what the going rate is.
Nice! We will be staying at 4 points Miraflores, Tambo del Inka, and Placio del Inka as well. Did you like those hotels? We ended up reserving a private pickup through the hotel for JUL. It is $35 USD / 120 Sol. Since we are arriving around 9PM, it felt like a safer option than trying to figure it out once we arrived.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:18 pm

Nice! We will be staying at 4 points Miraflores, Tambo del Inka, and Placio del Inka as well. Did you like those hotels? We ended up reserving a private pickup through the hotel for JUL. It is $35 USD / 120 Sol. Since we are arriving around 9PM, it felt like a safer option than trying to figure it out once we arrived.
4 Points Miraflores - not bad, not great. Nothing truly memorable about the property good or bad. Miraflores is a nicer part of LIM - quite safe to roam around. I walked to the Movistar store just a few blocks away to get a local SIM (chip prepago in local parlance). There's a small convenience store across from the 4Points which is handy for picking up cheap bottled water etc. There's also a sweets store which has odd opening hours, but the stuff they sell is tasty. You're also within walking distance (just over 1km I think) to the JW Marriott which in turn is across the street from the Paddington statue. (Hey - I'm a fan of the bear!) Decent breakfast buffet downstairs in the main restaurant.

Tambo del Inka - one of the nicest properties I've stayed at. Got an amazing room upgrade but even without that, it's a special place. Do go check out the pool even if it's just to take a few pics. Top-end breakfast buffet in the main restaurant. Service is a bit slow though which is my only complaint about the property.

Palacio del Inka - nice place but frankly, a let down after Tambo del Inka. Good location - easy walking distance to pretty much anything. Rooms were nothing special and they tried to charge me for late checkout - apparently a no-no under the prevailing circumstances during my stay. Good breakfast buffet but the lunch service was extremely slow. Overall I do not think this property is worthy of being a "Luxury Collection" property. It's high-end but IMHO it's not luxury.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz
4 Points Miraflores - not bad, not great. Nothing truly memorable about the property good or bad. Miraflores is a nicer part of LIM - quite safe to roam around. I walked to the Movistar store just a few blocks away to get a local SIM (chip prepago in local parlance). There's a small convenience store across from the 4Points which is handy for picking up cheap bottled water etc. There's also a sweets store which has odd opening hours, but the stuff they sell is tasty. You're also within walking distance (just over 1km I think) to the JW Marriott which in turn is across the street from the Paddington statue. (Hey - I'm a fan of the bear!) Decent breakfast buffet downstairs in the main restaurant.

Tambo del Inka - one of the nicest properties I've stayed at. Got an amazing room upgrade but even without that, it's a special place. Do go check out the pool even if it's just to take a few pics. Top-end breakfast buffet in the main restaurant. Service is a bit slow though which is my only complaint about the property.

Palacio del Inka - nice place but frankly, a let down after Tambo del Inka. Good location - easy walking distance to pretty much anything. Rooms were nothing special and they tried to charge me for late checkout - apparently a no-no under the prevailing circumstances during my stay. Good breakfast buffet but the lunch service was extremely slow. Overall I do not think this property is worthy of being a "Luxury Collection" property. It's high-end but IMHO it's not luxury.
Thanks for the info! Did you do laundry during the trip? If so where?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the info! Did you do laundry during the trip? If so where?
I actually took my big suitcase on this one so laundry (other than hand washing a few items) wasn't necessary. Given my sked, if I needed to do laundry it would have been at Tambo del Inka. I did glance at the laundry list there and prices were not shocking though I don't recall the exact details.

Incidentally, in LIM you might want to make a dinner reservation at Astrid y Gaston. I recommend the tasting menu. I had the smaller (7-course?) menu but in retrospect I should have had the bigger one. The food quality is top-notch. I'd go so far as to say it's Michelin star-worthy. The only thing that holds a star or two back is the service. Don't get me wrong - service is pretty good. But "pretty good" is not good enough for a star.

Last edited by RCyyz; Aug 4, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:29 pm

We will be staying at 4 points Miraflores, Tambo del Inka, and Placio del Inka as well. Did you like those hotels?
Since you're interested ...

4Points Miraflores
Attached Images        
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:34 pm

Tambo del Inka. I got an incredible room upgrade here. This is definitely not what I booked! Not that I was complaining ...
Attached Images          

Last edited by RCyyz; Aug 4, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:37 pm

Palacio del Inka. Nice place but like I said, a letdown after Tambo.
Attached Images         

Last edited by RCyyz; Aug 4, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.