Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurant reservations Lima

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:46 am
Original Poster

I've been trying for about a month to get reservations at Central and Astrid Y Gaston for 8/20 and 8/22. I've called and emailed and i've had amex concierge but still no luck... Any ideas?

i don't wanna give up!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold

I can't speak to A and G, but Central was pretty quick getting back to me, but I had made reservations well in advance and I wonder if maybe they are already full? I would hope they would still respond as such, but who knows.

Would mention that if you do get reservations there, the tasting menus are pretty big portions. My wife and I each got the full tasting, and it was way too much food. Would recommend either split the full tasting, or go with the smaller ones. Was good, but in all honesty I don't know that we would go back.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Distilled
I can't speak to A and G, but Central was pretty quick getting back to me, but I had made reservations well in advance and I wonder if maybe they are already full? I would hope they would still respond as such, but who knows.

Would mention that if you do get reservations there, the tasting menus are pretty big portions. My wife and I each got the full tasting, and it was way too much food. Would recommend either split the full tasting, or go with the smaller ones. Was good, but in all honesty I don't know that we would go back.
sorry to be clear. Both places have responded to me but are fully booked. Hmm interesting what you said about central - maybe missing it isn't the end of the world. What didn't you care for about it? Do you normally like tasting menus? Where else did you like?

So far have a resrevation at malabar and Maido - by mistake both on the same night think going to do maido and cancel and malabar.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold

I guess I didn't mean to be so down on it, it was a good tasting. And it was interesting that they tried to use ingredients native to Peru, by elevation, etc. But in total, I think we became a little too full trying to do the full tasting with the pairing for each of us, as I said was too much food. And it was good, but less interesting tastes than at some of the other tasting menus we have had (we have done many in various locations around the world, tend to do the tasting at any top notch restaurant we visit).

To clarify, when I said that we wouldn't go back, it was more that it was an interesting experience once, as there are some interesting ingredients and preparations, but wasn't impressive enough for me to go back there on a repeat visit.

As far as other places, we minimized our time in Lima in favor of focusing on cusco, MP, etc. I would say to make sure you make it to Javier Wong, really amazing food. Only does lunch, the place is not an impressive place to go, but the food was amazing. Our other Lima dinner was at the Museo Larco, was really good but standard fare menu.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:21 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Might be a good idea to try and check out http://www.limafoodweek.com/ !
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Looks like you'll be there Friday 21st. Here is an idea you'll not see elsewhere. On Fridays at noon (be on time, it is popular with locals) the El Estadio restaurant on the Plaza San Martin has a buffet of authentic Peruvian food. About $10. They have a large selection (over 20 dishes) that I can attest are extremely well prepared. All delicious and quite an opportunity to try so many great classic Peruvian appetizers and entrees.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Looks like you'll be there Friday 21st. Here is an idea you'll not see elsewhere. On Fridays at noon (be on time, it is popular with locals) the El Estadio restaurant on the Plaza San Martin has a buffet of authentic Peruvian food. About $10. They have a large selection (over 20 dishes) that I can attest are extremely well prepared. All delicious and quite an opportunity to try so many great classic Peruvian appetizers and entrees.
El Estadio is legit ^

Did you try lunch reservations for Central? Cuz you're not getting dinner. The owner of my wife's company was trying a couple weeks ago and couldn't get a table until a few months from now and he is friends with the owner of Central (although he was just trying to do it through restaurant management, not the owner).
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Struggling with reservations for Central. But A& G have a restaurant La Barra and that was easy to get spaces 1 month in advance. Still waiting for lunch dates for Central -anyone knows whether the menu is the same or simpler? Gracias!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
I'm going this weekend to lima and completely forgot to make reservations. My plan is to hit the three restaurants in the "World's 50 best restaurants" which are (4) Central, (14) Astrid and Gaston and (44) Maido.

Central told me they were completely booked for dinner till the end of the year. I was able to get a lunch reservation this friday at 2pm. My flight lands at 12:30pm, so let's hope I make this.

Astrid and Gaston was easy to get a late dinner reservation on a Saturday at 930pm. I went there earlier this year and was able to get in on the same day I called, but it was at 10pm. We arrived earlier to see if we could get seated but we were told that we had to wait till 10pm.

Maido was fairly open on Sunday from 12 to 4pm.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:56 am

Central gave me lunch, so I'll take it. Anyone know whether lunch menu is simpler? Have the night flight back to Europe so leisurely lunch ok.

LA Barra for dinner and maybe even the other restaurant at Huaca Puccalana.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't know about the Central menu for lunch, but you should know that the La Barra menu at A&G is definitely different from the main restaurant. For example, La Barra does not offer the degustación menu. I ate at La Barra in May and was disappointed. If you can't get Central for dinner, I'd recommend Rosa Nautica over La Barra.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:32 am

what was disappointing about La Barra? yes the menu is different but is quality bad?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by L Lam
what was disappointing about La Barra? yes the menu is different but is quality bad?
I wouldn't say the quality was bad, it just didn't live up to what I've come to expect from A&G.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:37 am

Thanks. I got Central for lunch and they also do degustation menu. Haha, maybe i'll do that as well and skip dinner cos I am taking night flight from Lima. Think I'll also try La Barra anyway, and also Rosa Nautica.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I quite enjoyed Malabar last week.

Going to Central for lunch on Friday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.