Search

Dangers and annoyances at LIM / Lima Jorge Chavez Int'l. Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Dangers and annoyances at LIM / Lima Jorge Chavez Int'l. Airport

Th ad hoc "taxi" shills and drivers, of course, but as we were walking to international check in, a guy with a soft bag pretended to be walking distractedly walked into me trying to pick my pocket. I saw that coming and blocked his hand as he went for my pocket - but be aware this is going on.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA,BA
This is a whole new level. First off, how did he get in given that everyone gets checked for Ticket Printout and Passport prior to entering the check-in area. Unless it was right outside, at the drop-off area. Regardless, bad. Second, presumably, he may not be alone, and if he is "successful" many others may come in. Thank you for the heads up and hope you reported it. As Peruvian myself, I apologize for you had to encounter this in either your visit or business trip.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by IncaTrails
This is a whole new level. First off, how did he get in given that everyone gets checked for Ticket Printout and Passport prior to entering the check-in area.
The tickets are not really checked when entering check-in - usually, merely having a passport is enough. My 10+ last departures from LIM were all without having any form of printout, and I never had any issue entering (I even often have family coming with me up to the check-in queue in the check-in area).

In any case, thanks a lot OP for the heads up, and sorry you had to experience that... I always considered the airport to be quite safe, and I always considered the fact that there is some form of control to the check-in area as an annoyance... It seems I was wrong
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:49 pm

El Comercio had an Editorial piece this morning on security at LIM. On a related note, for anyone arriving at LIM and in need of a taxi, El Comercio published a semi-helpful guide to which company to choose.

As it turns out, a few days ago a fellow Peruvian arrived at night and took a taxi from the second lane (Taxi Green) to his home. The driver, however, was an accomplice to a gang; throughout the ride he repeatedly asked for the passenger's address, as if he had a microphone for someone to listen at the other end. At the passenger's address, another car closed them out, 2 or 3 got out of this second car only to steal the passenger's belongings at gun point. So, yes, CMV and Mitsou are the more expensive options, but they are reputable and the safer option (including bullet proof cars).
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by IncaTrails

As it turns out, a few days ago a fellow Peruvian arrived at night and took a taxi from the second lane (Taxi Green) to his home. The driver, however, was an accomplice to a gang; throughout the ride he repeatedly asked for the passenger's address, as if he had a microphone for someone to listen at the other end. At the passenger's address, another car closed them out, 2 or 3 got out of this second car only to steal the passenger's belongings at gun point. So, yes, CMV and Mitsou are the more expensive options, but they are reputable and the safer option (including bullet proof cars).
Wow, that is a terrible story. I've only been to Lima once, and checked back in this forum because I'm considering going again.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Wow, that is a terrible story. I've only been to Lima once, and checked back in this forum because I'm considering going again.
Well, I hope you wouldn't let this stop you. These types of incidences crop up once in a while. Not likely it will happen to you. Just the fact it has been reported in the media means it is being dealt with and so making it even more unlikely it would happen to you anytime soon.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:50 pm

Don't let my message deter you. Mine was only an example to go along the conversation. Exercise caution and common sense, be alert and you shall be fine. In reality, though, this applies to any other country you decide to go to. Enjoy the planning and safe travels!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Ok, I'm not easily scared, but, truthfully, that incident has a shock factor that never even occurred to me. It really is a dreadful story. When you're in a taxi, you are very vulnerable. My concerns have centered around my luggage, or being overcharged. Being robbed via the taxi never crossed my mind. How on earth would you safeguard yourself against such a thing? What is "the second lane"?

I was in Lima about 2 years ago. I'm looking forward to returning there. I felt completely safe. I had heard the negative hype, but I found that it felt fine and there was a noticeable police presence. Has it changed, or is this a one-off thing that is particularly despicable? I notice that the victim was a Peruvian. What are your thoughts on that? Do the tourists bring an additional level of consequence, or just the opposite?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:52 am

Ok, I'm not easily scared, but, truthfully, that incident has a shock factor that never even occurred to me. It really is a dreadful story. When you're in a taxi, you are very vulnerable. My concerns have centered around my luggage, or being overcharged. Being robbed via the taxi never crossed my mind. How on earth would you safeguard yourself against such a thing? What is "the second lane"?

I was in Lima about 2 years ago. I'm looking forward to returning there. I felt completely safe. I had heard the negative hype, but I found that it felt fine and there was a noticeable police presence. Has it changed, or is this a one-off thing that is particularly despicable? I notice that the victim was a Peruvian. What are your thoughts on that? Do the tourists bring an additional level of consequence, or just the opposite?
Hi,
Street taxis, or taxis from not-so-reputable companies, can sometimes be an issue in Lima, and common precautions generally include not taking them (I've done it hundreds of times without an issue, but it's still less safe than reputable companies). I'd say this applies even more to tourists, as, at least, a local can check if the driver of a street taxi is taking the correct itinerary etc.

A good solution is, as mentioned by IncaTrails here, to take one of the more "serious" companies that, if more expensive, will be a lot safer.

Don't let these kind of stories put you off - just take a few basic precautions, and you'll be safe
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others

Well, you should never feel “completely safe”. Always need to take seasoned travellers precautions. Airports (anywhere) are the most dangerous for us 'cause we have all our stuff with us... and they know it.

As above, I have taken taxis to/from LIM hundreds of time in the last few years. Nary a problem. I too use street taxis because my “rule” is to avoid any standing taxi thinking they have too much tme to plan bad stuff. A driver dropping off a pax and taking you has no such plans. But I can assess the situation The taxi. The driver. The route. Tell him to get off his phone. Make a fake call to a friend quoting the taxi number (only have done this once).

LIM is no more or less dangerous than before when you were here. Stuff pops up and gets attention, until the next. But it is not something to be fearful, just careful.

And yes, even sometimes when it is very late I'll even take one of the standing airport taxis, but rarely. Even in a Taxi Green, it can have a random window smash with a spark plug on Av Faucett, but rarely.

Oh, the second lane is the pecking order of where taxi drivers can stand at LIM airport roads. First road has Callao taxis for the airport, the second roadway is for general Callao taxis. The street has all taxis.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Well, you should never feel “completely safe”. Always need to take seasoned travellers precautions. Airports (anywhere) are the most dangerous for us 'cause we have all our stuff with us... and they know it.

As above, I have taken taxis to/from LIM hundreds of time in the last few years. Nary a problem. I too use street taxis because my “rule” is to avoid any standing taxi thinking they have too much tme to plan bad stuff. A driver dropping off a pax and taking you has no such plans. But I can assess the situation The taxi. The driver. The route. Tell him to get off his phone. Make a fake call to a friend quoting the taxi number (only have done this once).

LIM is no more or less dangerous than before when you were here. Stuff pops up and gets attention, until the next. But it is not something to be fearful, just careful.

And yes, even sometimes when it is very late I'll even take one of the standing airport taxis, but rarely. Even in a Taxi Green, it can have a random window smash with a spark plug on Av Faucett, but rarely.

Oh, the second lane is the pecking order of where taxi drivers can stand at LIM airport roads. First road has Callao taxis for the airport, the second roadway is for general Callao taxis. The street has all taxis.
You summarize much better than me Thanks ! ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.