Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peru + French Polynesia Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Peru + French Polynesia Redemption

Hi everyone -- this is my first post, but I have learned a lot from all of you over the years!

I am currently planning a trip: Peru + Bora Bora. I was hoping to get some advice.

Overview of status:
I currently have Platinum status (75+ nights) with SPG and and working through the platinum challenge with Marriott, so will have that by May. (100K, 150K points respectively)

I do not have airline status, but will have ~300K points with Star Alliance.

What I'm trying to do:
1) I'd like to fly Star Alliance as much as possible and leverage stopovers
2) From Toronto, I'd like to go to Peru (Lima + Cusco) and Bora Bora (via Tahiti).

Based on experience, has anyone done a similar trip?

Similarily, I'm looking to split my time in Peru between Marriott and SPG properties. In Cusco, I'm having trouble deciding between JW Cusco and Palacio del Inka. Has anyone been to either property and able to speak to them? I'm leaning toward the JW Cusco because it seems to be an incredibly historical property.

Finally, while I have quite a few points and have earned status, I have not redeemed too many. Should I book the lowest class rooms and leverage status to get an upgrade? Could I do this with the free suite upgrades I have?

I have Bora Bora questions as well, but from everything I gather, there is effectively no reason to use points for OWB because of the ridiculously high redemption amount. In that case, even though I have SPG status, should I equally consider the Four Seasons?

I know this is ~1000 questions, but I certainly appreciate any help you could give.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
The only two ways to get from Lima to Tahiti are

1. LAN Lima-Santiago-Easter Island-Tahiti (21hrs not daily)
2 LAN Lima-Los Angeles then Air France / Air Tahiti Nui LA - Tahiti (24hrs)

Based on that I'd suggest spitting it into two separate trips

In Cuzco, I stayed at Palacio, and would go to JW if I went back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.