Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Need some advice please.

Need some advice please.

Old Apr 23, 13, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Need some advice please.

Hi, looking for some advice please.

I'm going to Peru next Feb with my boyfriend and I'm trying to plan out the trip. We were thinking of flying to Lima and going strait to Cusco and staying at the Tambo del Inka for 5-6 days spending half the time relaxing and half the time seeing the area (Machu Piccho, Sacred Valley, etc). And then spending three days in Lima.

I just found this resort as well:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...ropertyID=3513

which seems to be a similar resort (both Starwood) but it's on the beach. Any advice if it's worth going to both? Maybe 3-4 days at Tambo del Inka, 2-3 days at Hotel Paracas (need to take a four hour bus ride to get there) and then 2 days in Lima? We want a mix of culture, city and relaxing by a pool/beach.
Old Apr 24, 13, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by saranyc View Post

I'm going to Peru next Feb with my boyfriend and I'm trying to plan out the trip. We were thinking of flying to Lima and going strait to Cusco and staying at the Tambo del Inka for 5-6 days spending half the time relaxing and half the time seeing the area (Machu Piccho, Sacred Valley, etc). And then spending three days in Lima.

which seems to be a similar resort (both Starwood) but it's on the beach. Any advice if it's worth going to both? Maybe 3-4 days at Tambo del Inka, 2-3 days at Hotel Paracas (need to take a four hour bus ride to get there) and then 2 days in Lima? We want a mix of culture, city and relaxing by a pool/beach.
Paracas is definitely worth a visit. There are myriad activities available in the area (Islas Ballestas, flights over the Nazca lines, ancient ruins, etc) and Feb is a good time to be at the beach in Peru (no garua fog). This is an excellent & luxe hotel, you should enjoy it. The water is not great for swimming (full of jellyfish, maybe this is seasonal) but there's always the pool.
Old Apr 24, 13, 2:09 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by saranyc View Post

Hmm,

First off. Feb is one of the wettest months of the year. It is also when the Inca Trail (3-4 day hike) to MP is closed. I think MP itself is open but not sure how enjoyable it may be. Just so you know.

Look a few months back and someone posted a pretty detailed report on the Paracas Hotel. I've been to the Tambo Del Inka and love that place. Headed back in 2 months for Lima-Cusco-Arequipa-Paracas-Lima. Will be driving Lima - Paracas section. Will report when done.

5-6 days in the sacred valley sounds about right. Visit Chincero, salt mines, Pisac. You might want to consider spending some time in Cusco itself too. Either find a hotel there or consider a day trip.

Cheers,
SF
Old Apr 28, 13, 8:32 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer View Post
Hmm,

First off. Feb is one of the wettest months of the year. It is also when the Inca Trail (3-4 day hike) to MP is closed. I think MP itself is open but not sure how enjoyable it may be. Just so you know.
True. But just to detailed more, it is the wettest in the mountains region. I always avoid Cusco, Puno, Huaraz between december and march.

It's ideal to visit the coast (Paracas, Nazca). It could be rainy in the northern coast (Piura, Tumbes, Chiclayo (Sipán)) but not big deal unless there is the Niño phenomenom.
Old May 27, 13, 9:56 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
Agree than February is pretty much the worst possible month to visit the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. Bring lots of rain gear and don't expect perfect photos!

On the coast it won't matter so much if you go to Paracas. That is a great hotel and you can see the Nazca lines and Ballestas Islands from there. Here's a travel story on Paracas you might like and if you follow the links from there you can see detailed reviews of both hotels.

Search this Thread