Wiki Posts
Search

Machu Picchu in mid-October / Tambo del Inka thoughts

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Machu Picchu in mid-October / Tambo del Inka thoughts

Hey everyone. Wife and I are heading to Machu Picchu on Oct. 17th. Will be arriving 11:30pm into Lima and was planning on staying at the Ramada that is connected to the airport. Our flight the next day is on LAN at around 4:00pm...getting us into Sacred Valley at around 8pm. Planning on staying at Tambo del Inka in the Sacred Valley for 3 nights. Using cash and points so it's a pretty good redemption. Saving around $500. Will then fly out of CUZ on the 21st at around 2pm. Stay the night again at the LIM Ramada and flight back to the US the next morning at around 6am.

A few questions:
1.)Should I skip the car rental in CUZ and opt for the Tambo pickup? Return?
2.)Should I opt for the train at the hotel? Is it worth it? Or should we try and make the really early one to see sunrise at MP?
3.)Should I move my LIM-CUZ flight up to earlier in the day? My original thought was to not be rushed and get a good nights sleep as we get in at midnight but now I'm thinking a mid-morning/noon flight might be better so we can enjoy Tambo del Inka more.

I'm aware it may be slightly rainy but it is just past the busy season and from what I'm reading it shouldn't be raining too much.

Much appreciate any advice!
Old May 26, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
I've been to CUZ on 3 separate occasions, so not an expert...but can give you my thoughts.

1. I would not rent a car. Transportation is not that expensive and it really reduces stress. We arranged transportation through our hotel and it was easy and efficient.

2. If you can make it work, I would try to get to MP early for the sunrise. It's an amazing experience.

3. I would definitely opt for an earlier flight to CUZ. Afternoon flights are more often cancelled or delayed because of winds than are morning flights. Even if you get in late, you'll be ready to go mid-morning. Why hang out at the airport hotel?

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 26, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA/AA
If seeing the sunrise is really important to you.....spend the night in Aguas Calientes, and bus up to the site. Taking a morning train and bus from Cuzco or Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo) is crazy.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I ended up changing our flight out of LIM to 10:45am instead of 4:00pm. This puts us into CUZ at noon. Also decided against the car rental once I found out how cheap taxies are. Planning on getting a taxi from the airport and having them take us into town to get the bus tickets up the MP hill, and MP tickets as well. Then have them take us to Ollantaytambo where we can catch a 19:00 train up to Aguas Calientes. I'm thinking it should be around $50 for the taxi. No more than $75. We'll stay one night at a hotel up there and hit MP at sunrise and take the noonish train back down to Ollantaytambo where we can catch a taxi to the Tambo del Inka and spend two nights.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
(Came back to this thread from your pm.)

One more thing ... sounds like you are going to have a really packed first day ... arrive into LIM, transfer to Cusco, catch car/taxi, buy tickets, catch train, transfer to station, long train ride ...

Not sure elevation where you are coming from but the first couple hours in Cusco can literally take your breath away. Might want to make sure you have a backup.

Cheers,
SF
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:18 pm

Hi --

Tambo del Inka is fabulous. You'll love it.

- I took a taxi from Cusco to Tambo. iPeru in Cusco recommended two companies: Llama Taxi (222000) and Alo Cusco (222222). It was less expensive than a transfer. I also used Llama for a day tour of the Sacred Valley and my return to the Cusco airport.

- I took the Vistadome train from Tambo to Aguas Caliente and recommend it. It was easy and efficient and the ride is nice (windows, breakfast, drinks, shopping). The day I visited Machu Picchu there wasn't a view until I arrived on the train because the fog had not yet lifted.

My Peru blog series starts next week.

- esme

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.