Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Brazilian Codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Varig Smiles Gold, TAP Victoria, Emirates Skywards, TAM Fidelidade, Miles & More
New Brazilian Codeshares

Varig has been allowed by the government to codeshare flights with Gol and AirEuropa.

Does somebody know how (or if) could this affect Varig Smiles FFP (seat availability, service...)?

At same time, TAM and Lufthansa are going to codeshare too.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
TAM will soon be a Star Alliance partner, if you care to know.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
I absolutely fail to understand what's Varig's strategy, under GOL management.

RG used not to be great with their FFP, now under a management that absolutely has other priorities than a FFP, I very much doubt it'll be revamped to the pax benefit or in fact for the carrier's business at all...

Anyway, I am as curious as you are with what might happen...

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:49 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
There is simply no strategy for Varig. You can see this, if you remember the unplaned long haul adventure. Start selling tickets 1 week before starting the route, not offering any kind of connection and canceling the flights and routes all the time. All this coming along with a stupid and incompetent customer service, that seems to think, that the customer is some kind of monkey, and that they have to play games with the customer. I can not understand, why Varig is stil flying, with this kind of administration this is a wonder.

But at least the provide one last good thing : Varig status is good for status-matching.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:22 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Moranguinho
But at least the provide one last good thing : Varig status is good for status-matching.
do you think I could try a status-matching with TAM? Been diamond forever with Varig, but really can't see why I should keep on earning miles with Varig since I have pretty much no place to go with my miles now.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by FlyingRabbit
do you think I could try a status-matching with TAM? Been diamond forever with Varig, but really can't see why I should keep on earning miles with Varig since I have pretty much no place to go with my miles now.
Just a thought, but speculation is that TAM will be joining *A. At that point, you could see which *A carrier would give you the best deal on a status match or a challange.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Does anyone have a start date for TAM being in Star Alliance?

Early Nov 08 traveling UA ORD-GRU connect with TAM GRU-GIG. Hoping I can interline checked bags? Will I go through Customs, Immigration/passport control in GRU or GIG? How long should I plan between flights?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Pegasus23

Early Nov 08 traveling UA ORD-GRU connect with TAM GRU-GIG. Hoping I can interline checked bags? Will I go through Customs, Immigration/passport control in GRU or GIG? How long should I plan between flights?

Thanks!
My guess is that you should do customs/immigrations in GRU. Immediately after coming out of GRU customs there's a check-in/deposit TAM area for arrival international pax.

I wouldn't worry much about missing a flight to Rio. In a worst case scenario simply ask TAM to take you to CGH and then onwards to Rio (SDU), a much more convenient airport in Rio. Both CGH and SDU are downtown airports. TAM has a own reliable bus to transfer pax between airports.

Also landing at SDU is a memorable experience for foreigners...

Cheers
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by pb9997
My guess is that you should do customs/immigrations in GRU. Immediately after coming out of GRU customs there's a check-in/deposit TAM area for arrival international pax.

I wouldn't worry much about missing a flight to Rio. In a worst case scenario simply ask TAM to take you to CGH and then onwards to Rio (SDU), a much more convenient airport in Rio. Both CGH and SDU are downtown airports. TAM has a own reliable bus to transfer pax between airports.

Also landing at SDU is a memorable experience for foreigners...

Cheers
Thanks for the info!

Tried to book a GRU to SDU Very expensive and infrequent service....I'll take the long runway at GIG....I have a car meeting me at GIG.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Varig Smiles Gold, TAP Victoria, Emirates Skywards, TAM Fidelidade, Miles & More
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
TAM will soon be a Star Alliance partner, if you care to know.
Yes, they finally announced *A approval last Tuesday:

http://www.tam.com.br/b2c/vgn/v/inde...009608020aRCRD (in Portuguese)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/mar...nce-941956269/ (in English)
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pegasus23

Thanks!
*A press release says it is expected the integration process will take 12-18 months, so TAM will be a full member by the end of 2009.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by sergio_vidal
*A press release says it is expected the integration process will take 12-18 months, so TAM will be a full member by the end of 2009.
Thanks for the heads up and further explanation.

Now if my $140.00 visa will arrive.............[s].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.